“A home away from home” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #74 of 468 Hotels in New York City
usa
“A home away from home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

The staff seeks to make you feel like this is your home and they succeed in making you want to return again and again, which we have done. The rooms are in a section of an older hotel and have recently been refurbished. If you want to find a negative, it is difficult. However, some rooms have minimal closet space and the bathrooms, while containing every amenity, are very snug.There is an additional residence fee and that covers a continental breakfast, wine, beer (apparently at any time of day), and snacks varying by time of day.

Room Tip: suites are far better than the rooms.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Karla K, General Manager at WestHouse Hotel New York, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
gsrs, thank you for your fantastic review! I am so thrilled to hear that our concept has truly resonated with you! At WestHouse we strive to offer an unrivaled service experience, delivering on our mission of treating each guest as if our only guest. It is so rewarding to hear that this feeling was captured in your stay and that our team truly made you feel at home. Thank you for also sharing your feedback regarding the size of your room. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future, and I am more than happy to personally assist you with reserving larger accommodations better suited to your needs. Please feel free to contact directly at kkeskin@westhousehotelnewyork.com.

Karla Keskin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

Firstly bedroom although small were beautiful and the beds were really comfy, location great for Times Square etc.

Great service from Karim on the concierge-beyond what u expect and my mum loved her jazz night at birdcage.

Down side of this hotel will hopefully be corrected-the 30 usd a day per person charge is excessive and lacks flexibility, mum likes a cuppa and breakfast in bed-we were rudely told one morning that we shouldn't be taking certain food up to the room, if there is a tray available and your charging guests a compulsory charge for this how guests use the service should be down to them not dictated like children by the bar staff!

Afternoon tea was lovely but again when mum requested some jam or butter for the nice scones she was rudely told " the chef decided not to offer this anymore"-in England scones go with jam and cream-not one or the other! :-)

Overall I would class this hotel as a 4 and half star at present, thank you for a nice stay.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Karla K, General Manager at WestHouse Hotel New York, responded to this review, April 26, 2014
Fireball2013, we are most grateful for you taking the time to share your experience with us. Thank you for such fantastic comments regarding our beautifully decorated rooms, comfortable bedding, and convenient location! Thank you also for recognizing Kareem and the exceptional service he provided to you while staying with us. It is so rewarding to hear that your mum enjoyed her night of jazz at the Birdcage.

I do however apologize for the discomforts you experienced surrounding some elements of the Resident Fee. I regret that you were met with opposition when attempting to enjoy items in the comfort of your room. At WestHouse our main priority is to ensure optimal comfort and security for all of our guests. We understand that during the Breakfast Presentation seating may be limited, and so we encourage guests to enjoy food items on the go or in their room if it is more practical than waiting. I would also like to apologize for the tone in which one of our team members communicated the absence of items you requested. This is certainly not a representation of the inviting and attentive approach our team has become known for. I will be sure to review this feedback with our Food & Beverage team.

Thank you again for choosing WestHouse as your house away from home. We do hope that you will afford us the opportunity to be your host on your next visit to the city, where I am confident a 5 star experience will await you.

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

Where to start-If I had known this was a BRAND new property (as in January) I would have stayed at one of the other "tried and trues" on my NYC list. As a semi frequent visitor to NYC (5 to 6 times a year) I do like to try different locations on occasion. So, I tried the WestHouse this time. It started off with a bad car ride from the airport. I do understand that this was not directly related to the hotel, however, they contracted the car service. Upon arrival I was not greeted by any door man. Maybe he was on break? But even after checking in, I saw no door man.
The elevator system isn't readily understandable and it wasn't explained to me, so ,until day 2, I didn't get the system. I had to go up a few floors above my 19 and then ride down. The rooms are small (even though I was in the larger of the categories) and basically appointed. Beds are comfortable. Hallways are VERY narrow at the ends and my floor was noisy. The doors slam shut very fast and especially when the housekeeper was cleaning rooms and going in and out the door would slam against the metal slide lock that they would use to keep door from shutting completely. It was VERY annoying. The elevator service going down was very slow as well. At one point, 4 UP elevators came before 1 down came. The MOST disappointing thing was the air conditioning situation. Basically there wasn't any. I won't even go through ALL the steps it took to get some fans for my 2 rooms to at least have some sort of air flow BUT it really did set the tone for my trip. Opening the window 4 or 5 inches (locks on side prevented it opening further) did help some, however, listening to Times Square throughout the night didn't add to the peaceful nights sleep I was hoping for. The 2 pipe system was explained to me AND I get it BUT had I known it before hand, I would have chosen differently. Air flow is VERY important to me and in my years of hotel staying in NYC I have NEVER experienced the "2 pipe" situation. Even in the dead of winter I have been able to get air into my rooms. Just to finish up the other things, the housekeeping was inconsistent. The sheets on my bed didn't have a clean smell to them. Upon arrival there were 4 bath towels, 4 hand towels and washcloths. The next day there were only 2 of each. The products in the bath were not refilled the same in each room. My daughter and friend never did get any conditioner on any day and the shampoos were not replaced. The daily/nightly food in the Den was nice. They did run out of Coke on our day 1 and were not able to replace it for the remainder of our stay. The staff there was very friendly and pleasant. Some times the dirty dishes on the tables piled up and were not cleared so there wasn't any place to sit until we moved them ourselves. Overall, this aspect of the hotel was nice and to me worth the added $30. Having gotten all the negatives out of the way, I would like to say that once I expressed my DEEP IRRITATION to Richard about the air issue, he went out of his way to remedy the situation as best he could. I think at this point the staff spends much of their time fixing the issues of clients. At least that was my impression. And, to be honest, they are good at it. He went above and beyond to make me happy and express his concern for my "uneasiness" about the air. I do not consider myself unreasonable and I just needed to be heard. He made me feel like I mattered and I appreciated that. He did his best to mediate by getting me a fan for the rooms. He also worked out some compensation for my troubles. Thank you Richard for treating me with respect and for truly caring about my issues. So, I will try them again (in a year) because I see where they are going and think by tweeking some things, they can achieve the 5 star level they are advertising themselves as having. Personally, I do not think they are there yet.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
scamster
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

Just checked in about an hour ago but can say this place is simply fantastic. Check-in was easy and quick. All the essential information was well explained by the host and a butler was arranged though we were happy to go it alone.

The room was well presented and very elegantly decorated. Comfy bed from the few minutes we had before going back out.

A personalised note from the general manager was in our room wishing us well on our first night of marriage. What a nice touch.

Great location within walking distance to Central Park and Times Square.

Very happy with the selection of this hotel.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
scamster, thank you so much for reviewing your experience with us! It was an honor to be your host for your honeymoon in the city. I am so pleased to hear that your check-in was quick and efficient. Thank you for your wonderful comments about our decor, comfortable beds, and convenient location. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

I was a bit hesitant about booking a 5 star hotel in NYC because of mostly the cost. However, my husband convinced me to because we found a great deal on Expedia for the Westhouse and because we deserved it. The Westhouse lived up to the hype. It was a great experience from start to finish. We arrived early, due to our red-eye flight and the hotel was able to accomodate us for a 10am check-in. The room was very spacious, clean and the bed was extremely comfortable. We loved all the amenities including the GHD products and Dayna Decker toiletries.
For a $30/day resort fee, you get the extremely helpful attache, breakfast-that includes an assortment of pastries, breads, meats, smoked salmon, fresh berries, yogurt, French pressed coffee, tea or you can order latte, capuccino...etc, afternoon snacks, all day snacks that include cookies, brownies, cannelles (to die for French pastries) and red wine, white wine, sparkling wine and beers.
Oh, they also give you complimentary bottled water - this was a big plus because we did not have to stop by a convenience store once for any snacks/waters..etc, everything was already conveniently provided.

The location was also very convenient to Central Park, Time Square, Broadway and the subways. We had originally thought to stay at a 4 star across the street but are so glad we picked Westhouse instead.

We are extremely glad we stayed at the Westhouse, not only for the impeccable service, but the attention to detail, friendly staff and wonderful rooms.

Room Tip: If a King Accessible is available, as for this room as it's generally a larger room
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
SofieZ1313, thank you so much for your fabulous review! We are so glad that your husband convinced you to try out our new property, and even more thrilled that it lived up to your expectations! I am so pleased to hear that our Front Office Team were able to accommodate you with an early check-in which allowed you to get the most out of your first day in the city. It brings us great joy to learn of your enjoyment for our custom Dayna Decker bath amenities in addition to the delectable food & beverage offerings provided under the Resident Fee. We are especially humbled by your endorsement for our "impeccable service, attention to detail, friendly staff and wonderful rooms." Thank you again for choosing WestHouse as your house away from home for this visit to New York. We look forward to welcoming you back home in the near future!

Liverpool
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

I recently stayed at the west house over the Easter weekend:
Firstly the location of the hotel is absolutely perfect right in between times sq and Central Park. We were treated by the staff like royalty! The hotel itself is brand new and gorgeous inside! The rooms are spotless and look like they've never been stayed in! Beds were amazing even better than my own! Hotel has a concierge service free of charge who were fantastic and get you the best prices you can find, big thank you to Jordan who was brilliant right through out!
If your looking for somewhere modern, chic, luxury, in the very heart of NYC then it's a must that you book the west house

Michael Deakin

• Stayed April 2014
Deax23, thank you for wonderful review! We are delighted to hear that our location provided a perfect home base for you while visiting the city. We are especially humbled to hear that our service equated to that of royal treatment! Thank you for your fantastic comments about our interior decor, immaculate rooms, and comfortable beds. It is always rewarding when one of our team members are recognized by name, and we thank you for sharing such warm feedback regarding Jordan. I will be sure to share your sentiments with her. Thank you for your warm recommendation, we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back home to WestHouse!

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

My friend and I just returned from a wonderful NYC weekend, thanks in part to the Westhouse Hotel. I was pleased beyond words with both the wonderful accommodations and impeccable service. Staff genuinely and successfully aimed to please. The words "Luxury Boutique Hotel" truly describe this little gem. From lovely linens to a well thought-out bathroom design with a carve-out in the shower glass so you can turn on the water without getting wet, this hotel screamed luxury without pompousness. Better still was the vibe. We met incredibly interesting and eclectic folks at breakfast and throughout the day. The hotel serves breakfast, tea, hors d'oeuvres and drinks all day long, so guests were always relaxing in "The Den"--the name of the living room-ish/lounge/lobby area where guests gather. The intimacy of the space was warm and inviting and created the perfect atmosphere for new friends to meet--so much so that we spent hours throughout our stay talking to some great new friends--high end professionals from the US and abroad, an actress, an energy healer, a philanthropist and others. Can't say I've ever had that happen in many years of regularly visiting NYC. All the guests we talked to shared our positive opinion of the hotel and said they planned to return. We were told a private rooftop bar is opening soon for guests only. Suspect that will only enhance an already excellent venue. We can't wait to return!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
K S, on behalf of the entire team at WestHouse, thank you for your exquisite review! It was an absolute pleasure to host you and your friend on this visit to NYC! I cannot express in words our gratitude for such wonderful comments regarding our tastefully decorated accommodations and impeccable service. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed the intimate and inviting atmosphere provided in the Den. It brings us great joy to hear that you were able foster new friendships here whilst enjoying our food & beverage offerings. Thank you for your glowing recommendation. We too cannot wait to welcome you back home and look forward to introducing you to the soon to be completed Terrace located on the 23rd Floor!