“Comfortable, accommodating, clean, wonderful!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
Book Now & Save!
Ranked #118 of 459 Hotels in New York City
philadelphia, pa
“Comfortable, accommodating, clean, wonderful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

All the great reviews are true. Best place in mid town for a reasonably priced stay. Could not have been lovelier!!!

We loved the Den for tea service and breakfast. We loved the kindness and courtesy of all the staff and the rooms were bigger than the average Manhattan hotel.

You won't be disappointed. Stay here!!!

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Karla K, General Manager at WestHouse Hotel New York, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
thelizardfest, thank you for reaffirming all the wonderful reviews previously submitted by some of our prior guests. It brings us great joy to hear that your stay was indicative of the exceptional experience our guests have come to enjoy. I am so pleased to hear that you found delight in the Den and the food & beverage offerings provided, namely our Breakfast Presentation. Thank you for your fabulous comments about our friendly team members and our beautiful room product. We appreciate your recommendation, and look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Karla Keskin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the WestHouse while in NYC for work and had a wonderful stay at this newly opened hotel. The staff was incredibly helpful, upbeat, and polite, and always seemed eager to assist guests. The room was comfortable and elegant, and the downstairs lobby was a great place to relax. The hotel is central but feels like a separate world. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014
Karla K, General Manager at WestHouse Hotel New York, responded to this review, March 30, 2014
Renaissan, thank you for taking the time to review your experience with us. I am delighted to hear that you found our team to be attentive, polite, and engaging. Thank you for your comments about our rooms as well as the Den. We are humbled by your commitment to return to WestHouse and look forward to welcoming you back home in the near future!

San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

BEWARE: You have no choice but to pay a $30 daily "resort fee" PER PERSON which covers use of the gym, continental breakfast, etc. You have no choice, and yet they don't include this in their rate, whether booking on the hotel's site or something else like (Expedia, etc.) (I went back and read the fine print in my reservation confirmation, and it was there a couple of paragraphs down in the content of that.) I consider this a bit deceptive and something that they're perhaps doing to appear more competitive in tripadvisor, Expedia, etc. BUT if the rate is $350 and you have to pay a $30 fee, then it doesn't matter what the fee is for, the rate is *not* $350. It is $380. So come-on West House: be a little more transparent and honest about this. And give me a break: a RESORT fee? This is not a resort. Someone who runs this company must have gone to a real resort in Hawaii and seen their resort fees and mistakenly thought that was a good idea to make some extra money.

(I didn't want their continental breakfast. Didn't use the gym. Didn't drink their beer or wine. So though maybe $30 may be a good value for some, it wasn't for me. And again, the issue is the lack of choice in paying this and lack of transparency in their overall rate.)

Rooms are very nicely decorated and extremely clean. Beddings wonderful. Though aside from decorative side curtains that don't close, there is only a block out shade on the window. So either that is up (and everyone in the buildings across the way can see you) or it is down (and the view and all light is completely blocked out).

The cleaning staff communicates by yelling down the hall at each other - all morning. (They didn't do this on my second morning *after* I complained at the front desk.) And kept banging something over, and over, and over and over. So good luck to you if you want to sleep late.

You have to call for an ironing board, because the closets are too small to keep one in each room. Took quite awhile to get one. And there are supposed to be slippers in each room, but mine had none. (It was cold - even in March in NYC this year!)

I called the front desk to ask where I could get a cooked breakfast nearby. He said he would do a search online and get back to me. I said I can do a search online - what I'm looking for is someone with some knowledge of the neighborhood to advise me. He said he'd call back. Took about 45 minutes and I finally heard back. (This was late in the evening - not a peak time.) The restaurant he told me about was at the end of the block. How is someone who works at the hotel (a hotel that does not have cooked breakfasts) not prepared to answer this question? Not knowing there is a place a half a block away. The next day when I walked around I actually saw that there were two such restaurants within a half a block.

Elevators have an odd interface. (You have to select your floor *before* you get on the elevator.) Kind of a pain when they don't warn you about it before you get on, and then can't get to your floor without coming back down to the lobby.

Definitely not a hotel I'd recommend staying at if you are in town for business.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Karla K, General Manager at WestHouse Hotel New York, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Thank you for your comprehensive and detailed review. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the decor of our rooms as well as the comfort of our bedding. I regret that some of our amenities and services did not meet your expectations. I'd like to address each issue you have communicated in your review.

At WestHouse we are very transparent in the communication of our "Resident Fee". It is at the forefront of our website when selecting a room type and stay dates. In addition to the Resident Fee being displayed at this early booking stage, it is again advertised in the grand total reflected on the review bookings page, where guests are able to see the full cost of their stay including the nightly room rate, government taxes, and Resident Fee before confirming a reservation.
We have also ensured that all of our booking channels are just as forthright as we are when advertising the Resident Fee. On the particular booking channel that you used to confirm a reservation with us, it states openly prior to selecting your room type that the rate "Excludes $30 per person, daily resort fee." This information is again communicated on the Reservations Summary page and reads "The hotel will charge an additional fee at check in or check out." This is followed by the total cost of the resident fee and a final line which details the grand total of your stay.

As a final confirmation of one's agreement to pay the Resident Fee, we communicate the daily cost and the privileges & amenities covered under this minimal fee at check-in, which include: Savory Breakfast Presentations, Afternoon Tea, Hors d'oeuvres, Evening Canapés, Alcoholic and Non-Alcoholic Beverages and Barista coffees served daily in The Den, In-room select refreshments, High Speed Wi-Fi Internet, Unlimited access to Business Center Services, All Local and Toll Free Calls, and a Choice of daily digital newspapers and magazines. Guests are then asked to sign and initial a registration card confirming their acknowledgement of the length of stay, nightly room rate, smoking policy, and Resident Fee.

I do apologize for the inconvenience you experienced due to the wait time of the ironing board, in addition to the delayed confirmation of your request for breakfast options nearby the hotel. You are absolutely right that all team members at the Front Desk should be well equipped with the knowledge of nearby options for dining, and we have used your feedback to retrain our team.

I am also very sorry that you were disturbed by the volume in which our Housekeeping team members were communicating while on your floor. I have addressed this issue with our Director of Housekeeping, and we will ensure that this does not occur again.

I thank you for providing us the opportunity to host on this visit, and regret that were unable to secure your confidence in our product and services. I would however love to discuss these matters with you in more detail, and hope that you will provide us with another opportunity to restore your faith in WestHouse. Please feel free to contact me at kkeskin@westhousehotelnewyork.com

Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

The West House is, as another reviewer has said, "a gem". From the moment we walked in the door we were treated like royalty. The lobby is stunning and the lounge is from a by-gone era. We were welcomed warmly by the gentleman in the lobby and the lovely Candace. The rooms are truly sophisticated chic with spectacularly comfortable sheets! Our breakfast with silver tea and coffee service and decant baked goods was enjoyed in the eclectic lobby where you can peruse the endless selection of beautiful hardcover books and people watch. Overall a truly unique jewel box experience in the heart of Manhattan.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Kristin P, thank you for your fantastic review of your recent stay with us! It is so rewarding to hear that we delivered on our mission of treating each guest as if our only guest. Thank you for sharing such kind words about our team, and for acknowledging Candace by name. We are most thankful for your eloquent description of our hotel as a "unique jewel box experience in the heart of Manhattan". We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

I have always been a consumer of tripadvisor's reviews but have never felt compelled to leave one of my own. However, the service at WestHouse was so outstanding that I thought that I would be doing a disservice to the staff if I didn't take the time to recognize their efforts. Sometimes, you have one or maybe two (if you are lucky) staff members who make a trip extra enjoyable. But in this case, it was the entire staff. From the Andrew who made coming home extra special by remembering our names each evening when we sat down to unwind in the bar (and our favorite drink order) to the front staff who had a cab waiting for us after we got coffee from Starbucks to the concierge who got my friend last minute tickets to great shows or the check-in folks who were so very kind. And, I shouldn't forget housekeeping as our room was very well serviced each day. Kudos to the management for creating such a high standard of service.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Karla K, General Manager at WestHouse Hotel New York, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
CRFLaura, we are most humbled to hear that the exceptional service our team provided to you inspired you to submit your first TripAdvisor review! Your warm comments about our team members are heartfelt, and I will be sure to share them with the entire WestHouse Team. It is always special when one of our team members is recognized by name for the exceptional service they have provided, and I thank you for acknowledging Andrew. Thank you for also sharing such pleasant feedback regarding our Front of House and Housekeeping Teams. Your review inspires us to continue in our mission of "treating each guest as if our only guest". We look forward to to the opportunity of welcoming you back home on your next visit to the city!

Huntington, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

In a big city like NYC, the WestHouse is a special gem. I look forward to returning some day soon.......I left, feeling like I was leaving family. This is a really comfortable, luxurious home away from home, rather then a typical anonymous hotel. The staff were so friendly and accommodating. They could not do enough. When I asked where their baked goods were made, they brought out the F&B manager to answer my questions. My son is still talking about the massive chocolate chip cookies!! They always went the extra step. When they delivered my car in the morning they had cold water in it for my drive home. It was the little touches that made the difference. A fabulous experience!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Jennifer H, thank you for your terrific review! On behalf of the entire team, I would like to express how much your comments inspire us to continue to deliver on our mission of "treating each guest as if our only guest". It warms our hearts to know that our service was reminiscent of the hospitality and care shown by one's very own family. Thank you also for highlighting our Food & Beverage Manager Candace, and the time she spent with you to discuss the delectable baked goods offered throughout the day in the Den. At WestHouse we believe what sets us apart is our attention to detail and the effort we place on anticipating our guest needs. I hank you for highlighting our efforts in placing the bottles of water in your valeted car prior to your departure for your drive home. Thank you again for choosing us as your house away from home. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back soon!

pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

We recently returned from a 2 night stay at the Westhouse and I can say it was the best hotel we have stayed at in nyc. We have been coming to new York for many years and have never experienced such attention to detail and hospitality as we had at the Westhouse. The staff was exceptional and the hotel was perfection. The cleanliness and the amenities were all 5 star. I cannot wait to return and stay longer.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Akira3, it is humbling as much as it is inspiring to receive such warm accolades for our attentive team members and the service they provide! I am so thrilled to hear that you enjoyed all of the wonderful amenities offered here at WestHouse, and that you found our overall cleanliness to be of a superior standard. We are so thankful that you chose WestHouse as your house way from home for this visit to New York City, and we too cannot wait for your return visit!

Karla Keskin

Been to WestHouse Hotel New York? Share your experiences!