“Nice Boutique Hotel in Soho” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Solita Soho Hotel

You added Solita Soho Hotel to your Saves list
Solita Soho Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   159 Grand Street, New York City, NY 10013 (Formerly Clarion Collection The Solita Soho Hotel) (SoHo)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #302 of 464 Hotels in New York City
Virginia
“Nice Boutique Hotel in Soho”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

My husband and I chose this hotel for it's reasonable price and location near Little Italy and we were not disappointed. First, the front desk staff was pleasant and very helpful when we arrived about an hour early. Our room was ready so they let us check in early which was very nice. They were also helpful getting us oriented to the area. The hotel décor is modern, the room and bathroom were clean, and we found it to have everything we needed for our short stay. The rooms are small, but honestly I have stayed in so many hotels in Manhattan and they are all small. You don't go to NYC to sit in your room, so keep this in mind. Unfortunately there is street construction/repair going on directly in front of the hotel, so that is a little inconvenient. Also, as others have posted there is no coffee or tea in the lobby and this hotel does not include breakfast. There is a nice coffee shop across the street and Dunkin Donuts around the corner so that helps. Also, they do have a room service menu from the restaurant that is right beside the hotel. The area seems to be bustling during the day as the hotel is adjacent to Chinatown and very close to all the shopping in SOHO. It was a little quieter at night on the streets and we felt safe walking back to the hotel at 11:30 pm. There is a night club right by the hotel and we did hear a little bit of noise from patrons waiting on the street to get in. We were on the 8th floor in the back and the noise did not bother us or keep up from sleeping. The subway is within 1 block from the hotel and it is a quick ride to midtown and theater district. The rates are very reasonable at this hotel, so we found it to be a good value.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Peter A, General Manager at Solita Soho Hotel, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Good morning,

I just wanted to personally thank you for saying such wonderful things about the hotel. We are always thrilled when a guest has a great stay. Hopefully we can see you again real soon. If you need anything please don’t hesitate to give me a call, I will make sure you get the best deal. Have a great day!

Peter Asciolla

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Polish first
Mobile
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

Small rooms, poorly appointed. Not even free coffee in the lobby. Check out policy is ridiculous. If your plans change and you have to leave early, plan on paying for another night. Checked out and stayed at the Holiday Inn down the street. Same price and much nicer hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Peter A, General Manager at Solita Soho Hotel, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Good morning,

Ok sir, the reason I am responding like this is the following. We spoke about this already. I understand you have made putting down this hotel a goal of yours on every website. So I feel we have to defend ourselves right now. I always respond to my guests with the most respect. However if you are going to write a bad review, please tell the whole story. Just like 90 percent of hotels, or airlines, or Broadway plays, e.t.c…. We have a cancellation policy. We sent you an email of the policy when you made the reservation, you also signed the registration that was a paragraph long at check in. It clearly stated that if you are going to leave early, we require 48 hr notice. Otherwise a 1 day charge will occur. Now we are extremely customer service friendly, and will go above and beyond for any guest. However you used profanity towards my lady front desk agent, and stormed out refusing to pay when she explained the policy to you. When you emailed me, I showed you a copy of your signed registration. You also wrote on other websites, about us holding you hostage. Which is ridiculous, especially what is going on in this world. I am sorry if you feel this way about us, cause we are the opposite of what you think. I am glad you found something else of your liking, and hope we can put this all behind us.

Washington DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014 via mobile

I happened to end up at this hotel through Priceline, but wouldn't choose it otherwise. The staff were friendly and the room was very clean, but the hotel has a loud nightclub in the basement. Even in my room on the 10th floor, I could hear the beat of the music and people talking loudly outside after 2 am. Not a good night's sleep.

• Stayed June 2014
Peter A, General Manager at Solita Soho Hotel, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Good morning,

I do want to apologize about the bar next door. They are not part of the hotel. They occasionally have parties. However they are moving in the next 2 months, so that won’t be a problem anymore. We hope you can give us another chance. If you do please call me first and I will personally make sure you get a great deal. We also will move you to another side of the building. We don’t like to have a guest leave with a bad taste in their mouth, especially if it’s out of our control. I hope you have a wonderful day!

long beach, california
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

I had to come to NYC for a second job interview, and found this gem among so many ridiculously overpriced hotels in the city. At first, I was somewhat skeptical and even worried about the price being so affordable. I have read so many reviews about hotels in NYC that are horrific. I forged ahead, and took a chance on Solita.

I love the neighborhood. I used to live in Soho, so I felt right at home again. You have your choice of Chinatown, Little Italy, and Soho restaurants and shopping right at your doorstep. Farrara is a great Italian bakery that is just a block or two away. I also enjoyed Excellent Dumpling House, just a few blocks South.

As for the hotel itself, I arrived late at night, and the desk staff person was really friendly. He also printed my airplane ticket for me at 2am, so that was helpful.

The room was small, but if you stay in NYC, you will most likely be out the majority of the time, like I was. It met my basic needs with a really nice and comfortable bed with white linens, a coffee maker (which the last NYC hotel I booked that was more expensive did not have), free wifi (again, something the more expensive hotel did not have), and good storage space for your clothing. Additionally, the rooms were clean and recently updated. The decor was chic and I really felt as though I was staying in an outstanding place.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Peter A, General Manager at Solita Soho Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Good morning,

I personally love when someone takes the time out to write such a well thought out review. We are all extremely happy that you loved this place. Great customer service and cleanliness are the most important things to us here. We would love to have you back at the hotel whenever you can make it. So please don’t hesitate to give me a call if you need anything. I will make sure everything goes perfect for you. We love RETURN guests! This means we are doing something right. Have a wonderful day and hope to see you soon.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

Friendly staff who were always willing to assist.
Clean and comfortable room and amenities with a real comfortable bed.
Excellent wifi which is included at no extra cost.
Great value for money.
Loved it!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Good morning,

All of us here at the hotel wanted to thank you for saying such great things about us. We love when a guest has a great stay. Please when returning, give me a call first so I can get you the best deal possible. It is always better to book through us directly, especially if you are a return guest. Have a wonderful day!

Pittsburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

We stayed at the Solita Soho for a girls trip this month. The hotel is located near Chinatown and Little Italy. Clean hotel and great location! Within walking distance to Canal St subway station. Comfortable beds and nice dual shower-head fixture.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Good morning,

I just wanted to thank you for the compliments towards our hotel. I am thrilled to hear you had a great stay. Hopefully you can return soon. Please don’t hesitate to give me a call directly if you need anything, I will personally make sure you get the best deal possible. Have a great day!

New City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Stayed one night this past winter, which just happened to be one of the coldest winters on record. When I showed up, the room was ready, but the heat was off. I was freezing and just wanted to warm up before heading out for the night. Didn't work out that way, it was way too cold in the room, so I turned on the heat and left to hang out at a bar until it was time for me to meet my friends for our night out.

The room was warm when I got back 8 hours later, not sure how long it took to get warm. On the plus side, the room was very clean and the bathroom was fully equipped. The room was tiny. It's fine for one person and one night, but I cannot see staying there for a long period of time, or with another person.

If you can get a cheap rate (through AAA or the like) it might be worth it. The neighborhood is great (Ferrara's Bakery is down the block), but the block the hotel is on is a bit secluded and I spotted some shady characters hanging outside late at night. Bottom line, in a pinch it's not a bad place.

Room Tip: check out the entire hotel collection at ascendcollection.com. They have an app as well.