“Totally worth every penny!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Solita Soho Hotel

Save Saved
You added Solita Soho Hotel to your Saves list
Solita Soho Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   159 Grand Street, New York City, NY 10013 (Formerly Clarion Collection The Solita Soho Hotel) (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #325 of 452 hotels in New York City
long beach, california
“Totally worth every penny!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

I had to come to NYC for a second job interview, and found this gem among so many ridiculously overpriced hotels in the city. At first, I was somewhat skeptical and even worried about the price being so affordable. I have read so many reviews about hotels in NYC that are horrific. I forged ahead, and took a chance on Solita.

I love the neighborhood. I used to live in Soho, so I felt right at home again. You have your choice of Chinatown, Little Italy, and Soho restaurants and shopping right at your doorstep. Farrara is a great Italian bakery that is just a block or two away. I also enjoyed Excellent Dumpling House, just a few blocks South.

As for the hotel itself, I arrived late at night, and the desk staff person was really friendly. He also printed my airplane ticket for me at 2am, so that was helpful.

The room was small, but if you stay in NYC, you will most likely be out the majority of the time, like I was. It met my basic needs with a really nice and comfortable bed with white linens, a coffee maker (which the last NYC hotel I booked that was more expensive did not have), free wifi (again, something the more expensive hotel did not have), and good storage space for your clothing. Additionally, the rooms were clean and recently updated. The decor was chic and I really felt as though I was staying in an outstanding place.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Peter A, General Manager at Solita Soho Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Good morning,

I personally love when someone takes the time out to write such a well thought out review. We are all extremely happy that you loved this place. Great customer service and cleanliness are the most important things to us here. We would love to have you back at the hotel whenever you can make it. So please don’t hesitate to give me a call if you need anything. I will make sure everything goes perfect for you. We love RETURN guests! This means we are doing something right. Have a wonderful day and hope to see you soon.

303 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

Friendly staff who were always willing to assist.
Clean and comfortable room and amenities with a real comfortable bed.
Excellent wifi which is included at no extra cost.
Great value for money.
Loved it!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Good morning,

All of us here at the hotel wanted to thank you for saying such great things about us. We love when a guest has a great stay. Please when returning, give me a call first so I can get you the best deal possible. It is always better to book through us directly, especially if you are a return guest. Have a wonderful day!

Pittsburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

We stayed at the Solita Soho for a girls trip this month. The hotel is located near Chinatown and Little Italy. Clean hotel and great location! Within walking distance to Canal St subway station. Comfortable beds and nice dual shower-head fixture.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Good morning,

I just wanted to thank you for the compliments towards our hotel. I am thrilled to hear you had a great stay. Hopefully you can return soon. Please don’t hesitate to give me a call directly if you need anything, I will personally make sure you get the best deal possible. Have a great day!

New City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Stayed one night this past winter, which just happened to be one of the coldest winters on record. When I showed up, the room was ready, but the heat was off. I was freezing and just wanted to warm up before heading out for the night. Didn't work out that way, it was way too cold in the room, so I turned on the heat and left to hang out at a bar until it was time for me to meet my friends for our night out.

The room was warm when I got back 8 hours later, not sure how long it took to get warm. On the plus side, the room was very clean and the bathroom was fully equipped. The room was tiny. It's fine for one person and one night, but I cannot see staying there for a long period of time, or with another person.

If you can get a cheap rate (through AAA or the like) it might be worth it. The neighborhood is great (Ferrara's Bakery is down the block), but the block the hotel is on is a bit secluded and I spotted some shady characters hanging outside late at night. Bottom line, in a pinch it's not a bad place.

Room Tip: check out the entire hotel collection at ascendcollection.com. They have an app as well.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Good morning,

I just wanted to thank you for your feedback. I am the new GM of the hotel since January. I am glad to hear you had a nice stay, especially in a tough winter. Sorry about the shady people on the block. This is one of the safest neighborhoods in NYC. Unfortunately you can’t control who decides to wander around late at night, However I can promise you it is a rare occasion. I hope to see you soon.

New Orleans, Louisiana, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

Over the past four years, we've stayed at Solita Soho five times. Each time we enjoy the Soho location, the Landmark diner for breakfast, the Grand Street street scene, and the nearby Canal Street subway station.

This is a good value hotel that doesn't try to be super trendy. Simple, quiet, clean, and the responsive staff when you need them. We always look forward to returning to Solita Soho. The rooms are small but that is normal for NYC!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Peter A, General Manager at Solita Soho Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Good morning,
Thank you so much for writing such nice things about us. We are always thrilled when we hear a guest had a great stay, especially a loyal one as yourself. I wanted to thank you for your business over the years. Hopefully we see you soon, and as always call me first before doing anything. I will make sure you have a great time and get everything you need. Have a wonderful day!

Hogansburg, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

Floor tiles felt like razor blades on our bare feet we had to wear our shoes the whole time. We called front desk for a few paper plates and she said she would call back and never did We called the front desk second night for an extra desk chair and same response as above We asked the maid for lotion and she said no because she did not understand/ talk english. Sheesh The room is too small for the prices you charge even with the booking.com discount and the awesome location.

Room Tip: Bring slippers and a cushion to sit on the floor if there are more than 1 of you : /
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Good morning,

I first off wanted to thank you for your feedback. I am very sorry about the confusion. I have no idea why they wouldn’t give you paper plates or an extra chair. You got my word that I will find out what happen. Our staff always goes above and beyond for all our guests. Which is why I find it confusing. Either way please accept our apology. Hopefully you can return to the hotel. If you do please call me first, I will personally make sure you have a great time and get a great rate. I hope you have a wonderful day and also hope to see you soon.

MUSKOKA, ONTARIO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

we had a reservation at another hotel which was absolutely horrible, we called Solita and they gave me a room for 5 nights, no issues at all, when we fled the other hotel at 7 in the am we figured we would have to hold our bags until late afternoon, but oh no, the front desk said, i have a room for you right now. it was such a pleasant experience. the ladies on the front desk are amazing, accommodating, informative and kind. the room had beautiful clean white linens, flat screen TV, very clean bathroom with lovely towels. the rooms are small but it worked perfectly for us with 2 people and 2 beds. we are hardly in our room anyway, so it did not matter about the size.

Room Tip: there was access to a gym around the corner for $10 a day, there was no pool
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Peter A, General Manager at Solita Soho Hotel, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Good morning,

First off I wanted to thank you for taking time out to write such wonderful things about us. We are always thrilled to hear when a guest has a great time, as this is one of our goals. I will let my front desk staff know what you said as well. I am sorry about your stay in another hotel, but we are extremely glad you found us. Hopefully you can return soon. Please give me a call before you do, I will make sure we take excellent care of you. Have a wonderful day!

Peter Asciolla

Been to Solita Soho Hotel? Share your experiences!