“Worst night sleep of my life” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Solita Soho Hotel

Save Saved
You added Solita Soho Hotel to your Saves list
Solita Soho Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   159 Grand Street, New York City, NY 10013 (Formerly Clarion Collection The Solita Soho Hotel) (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #325 of 451 hotels in New York City
Malden, Massachusetts
“Worst night sleep of my life”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Room space was smaller than a closet. The noise between trains/ employees who were coughing so loud at 3 am you thought they had TB/ and rickety elevators... Barely got any sleep and for the price it was completely not worth it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

324 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Polish first
Tafton, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I liked this small boutique hotel. The rooms were clean but a little worn, bathroom large (by NYC standards) and services okay. Quiet is very important to me and the sad thing was I could hear the subway and I was on a high floor. Not so great, especially if you are tired. Also, there was construction across the street and the subway wasn't far but it wasn't convenient. If you are a tourist and you want $$value in a popular downtown location - this hotel will get you there. It's fun for people who like to walk around Soho, shop and look at "locations from their tourist maps." For a former New Yorker like myself - I'm getting weary of crowds that take up the sidewalks....

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013 via mobile

If you are looking to have a bed to sleep on and that is about it, you've found your place. The location is good for walking to most places in lower manhattan. I will say though that my stay hasn't been that stellar. The sound of the subway rolling under the building constantly, someone with what sounds like a jackhammer started working immediately at 8am, a broken alarm clock, a shower with dirt in it, a dripping heating unit... Not a place I'd pick for my stays in NYC. (this was given to me by a travel department.). The front desk was not overly welcoming, but efficient. The elevator felt more like a freight elevator. There is a smell of someone smoking coming from my bathroom. probably the vents, but not good.

To end on a positive note, the bed was comfortable and the Internet was fast and free, which is always a surprise at hotels. I'm pretty sure this will be my last stay here if I can control it. But it was inexpensive, so I guess you get what you pay for, especially in NY.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Andrew B, General Manager at Solita Soho Hotel, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am very sorry that your experience was not as good as it should have been and the facility did not meet your needs. We apologize for the street noise as the city is currently working on a water project close to the hotel. I apologize and want you to know that your experience was not a typical one. We strive to provide our guests with the best possible service we can. Obviously we fell short during your stay and I sincerely apologize. We are currenlty renovating the hotel and do hope you return in the future and give us another chance to provide you with the level of service that is more our standard. Thanks again for reviewing the property. We hope to see you again soon!

Best Regards,

Bedford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights in mid December. The hotel is in a reasonable location for access to subway stations and is within walking distance of Little Italy.

The room was very small for 4 people with not much room to store luggage and move around. The rrom was clean enough but was in need of a good redecoration. The bathroom was a reasonable size and the shower was nice and strong.

The major downfall was how noisy the room was. There was construction work going on outside which started at around 6.30am. Also, even though we were on the 15th floor we could still here people talking out on the street, we heard every car horn and the constant rattle of the subway below. Added to this was an annoying knocking noise in the walls and the grinding of the elevator.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We sincerely apologize for the noise level incurred during your stay. The city is currently working on a project in the street near the hotel. We have been working closely with them to mimimize the general impact and noise as much as possible. We hope that they will complete the project soon so as not to disturb guests. Also your review mentioned the need for the rooms to be re decorated. To our delight the hotel is currently being re decorated from the lobby to all the rooms. We do hope that you will reuturn and give us another chance to provide you with a better stay. Thanks again for choosing to stay with us.

Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

I was just passing through for one night. The hotel and room were immaculately clean, the bed was comfortable, and the staff was prompt. The location was great: 5–10 minutes walk from all the action of SoHo, Chinatown, Little Italy, and beyond. It was definitely worth the price.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. The aspects highlighted in your review are the expectations we strive each day to provide for all of our guests. We are delighted that we were able to make your stay and enjoyable one. We hope on your return to NYC you choose to stay with us again. We look forward to having you as our guest in the future. Thanks again for the kind words!

Tokyo, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

I stayed at three different hotels during my week-long stay in NYC. By far the Solita Soha was the best. Great location, wonderful staff, comfortable and clean rooms, and free wifi in the guest rooms.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you kindly for the great review! Your experience is what we strive to acheive for every guest every stay. We are glad you enjoyed the location, the hotel, and most importantly the staff. Upon your return to NYC we do hope you choose to stay with us again. Of all the placed you could have stayed and did stay knowing that ours was the best is the greatest news our team could ever hope for. Thanks again for the kind review and we look forward to having your back.

A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

Be close to soho is very nice for tourism, this is a small hotel with small rooms, they are getting old, the service is not great. Difficult to have coffee for your in room coffee maker....
If you can have a good price it can worth it, if not I won't say : "Go there".

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am very sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations during your stay. We are currently renovating the hotel and we do hope you will return to see the upgrades. Our main goal each day is to provide guests with a positive experience in hopes that they will return. I apologize that we were not able to provide coffee for you in a timely manner. I am sorry that you did not recieve the service we normally try to provide. I do hope that you will return and give us another chance to show you how much we appreciate our guests.

Andrew Brogdon

Been to Solita Soho Hotel? Share your experiences!