“Huge Menu” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Central Oyster Bar

Grand Central Oyster Bar
89 East 42nd St, Grand Central Terminal, New York City, NY 10017 (Midtown)
212 490 6650
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Grand Central Oyster Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,236 of 11,180 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Dessert, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Vanderbilt and Lexington
Transit: Metro North; 4,5,6,7; Times Square Shuttle
Description: Grand Central Oyster Bar is the ultimate experience for any seafood. Lover. From the market to your plate, we've spent nearly a hundred years perfecting our seafood dishes. Every morning, the chef goes to the New Fulton Fish Market to personally pick the day's freshest seafood. Everything from lobster to different kinds of fish is hand-picked for the best flavor and freshness. We're most famous for our oysters though, with over 30 different varieties on any given day. Have your dishes prepared minimally, or choose to have your meal in the form of a po' boy. Whatever floats your boat. To go with your Oysters, our extensive wine list has over 400 wines by the glass or bottle, 55 of which are priced under $38. We love sharing our great seafood, so we like to keep everything, including our prices, accessible. Come in for our Happy Hours (menu on website), where you and your friends can pick up some fresh food and drinks at prices so good it's fishy! Across our restaurant we have more than 450 tables across two dining rooms. Traditional experiences are supplemented by our saloon, which features a large bar. Instead, you could choose to sit at Oyster Bay, where you can watch your Oysters being shucked. The Grand Central Oyster Bar has always been a social experience, bustling with buzz, activity and a rich history. There is truly nowhere else like it!
Scotland
“Huge Menu”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Our helpful waiter guided us as to what to try. I'd never eaten oysters previously, not sure that I'd ever eat them again, but the Grand Central Oyster Bar was certainly a pretty cool place to experience them!

Visited October 2012

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
New Jersey
“A classic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Loud and expensive. But it is a NY classic with its tiled arches and cavernous setting in Grand Central Station. Not to mention great oysters and stews.

Surrey
“Worth the experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

This was expensive for us, $140 including drinks/tips. We arrived at 1pm without a reservation so had to wait but were offered a seat in the restaurant area as opposed to the open horseshoe tables. Were they short staffed, I don't know, after the initial rush it all slowed up but the food was great. My wife had the New England Clam Chowder and I the Grand Central Platter (8 oysters, 2 different sorts), then after a long wait the Shrimp Special and the Redfish very, very nice. Waiting to pay, a new experience.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“The one cent tip”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

Well there was much anticipation & excitement in my family for our NYC visit last week. It was our youngest son's birthday & our silver wedding anniversary. My husband had reserved a table for us all at the oyster bar after many recommendations, so we were really looking forward to eating there. After a long day of sightseeing we were all hungry and excited to be in this beautiful and impressive restaurant. All I can say is what a disappointment. The waiter was rude, dismissive and lazy. Is it a crime to actually ask questions about the menu? I was ok but disappointed with my choice of scallops and fries. I didn't realise that they would be so small and coated. When the meal arrived it was like our pub lunch equivalent of scampi & chips, plus the scallops were tiny. Not what I expected for what we paid. My husband had ordered the same and was just so disappointed. My daughter got the Dover sole, which was dry, over-cooked and the vegetables were under cooked rubber. However being typical brits we were reluctant to say anything and as we were hungry ate the food.
As the evening progressed the waiter was increasingly rude and dismissive so you can imagine it was rather a tense affair than a leisurely meal out! Not what we had hoped for at all. And when my daughter plucked up courage to complain about her meal, the manager had the cheek to virtually accuse her of lying because she hadn't complained earlier! As if our miserable waiter hung around enough to let us!
Anyway to conclude a long story, we got the bill and decided not to give a tip and we always tip! My youngest added a one cent piece to emphasise our displeasure. On our way out the waiter actually had the front to challenge my husband about that fact that he works for tips, a fact he should remember when starting his shift, I think.
This restaurant sits very smugly on it's laurels and thinks reputation is better than effort. If you want a memorably bad experience go there. However as every penny counts in this economic climate, give it a miss and spend your hard earned cash elsewhere.

“The ultimate NY experience - a must”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Amazing location, ambience and food. I had the giant prawns for starter and then didn't have room for anything else!

Visited October 2012