“Overrated” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Carmine's Midtown

Carmine's Midtown
200 West 44th Street, New York City, NY 10036 (Manhattan)
(212) 221-3800
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Carmine's Midtown is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #66 of 11,599 restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Cross street: Broadway
Transit: Carmine's is two blocks north of the Times Square 42nd Street subway station serving the 1, 2, 3, 7, N, R subways. The A, C and E subways stop at 42nd Street and Eighth Ave. The B, D, F and V subways stop at 42nd Street and 6th Ave. The MTA bus system also serves the area. The M7, M10, M20, M27, M42, 27,104 all stop within one block of Carmine's.
Description: Thank you for choosing Carmine's Midtown. Should your plans change, please let us know by calling 212-221-3800 We look forward to serving you. For directions, reviews, menus, and other information at www.carminesnyc.com. Visit our online store for gift cards and Carmine's merchandise for the next holiday season or upcoming birthday.
Worcester, MA
“Overrated”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

This restaurant succeeds based entirely on location in the theater district. We arrived at 4:30 (can't get reservations for four on a Saturday for months). We waited (packed like sardines) nearly 2 hours after being told 45 minutes to 1H 15m. When we inquired as to our status it was apparent the system is broken. As we were seated we were told that they needed the table for 8:00 so... I have never been given a deadline to eat a meal.

This is family style dining so if you want beef and your wife wants seafood and the kids want pasta - forget it. I should have known this beforehand but didn't - my fault. We shared a plate of manacotti and a gluten free pasta/sausage dish. For $200 (with bar bill) this is hardly a value. Sardi's down the street is a value with richer history.

The point to be made is that there are so many excellent restaurants in NYC that to tolerate mediocrity simply because it's convenience to the theatres is short-sighted. We agreed that we wanted to experiece Carmine's and that we don't want to experience it again.

• Visited October 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

88% Recommend
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Silt, Colorado
“Great Meal - Great Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We had the Penne ala Vodka and the Roast Rack of Lamb Special - it was AMAZING - as was the Carmine's Salad. Highly recommended

Visited October 2012
Orlando, Florida
“Eh.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

After reading all the great reviews about this place, I was excited to try it out! Boy, was I disappointed. We all were. Italian food is my absolute favorite and I have to say that this was kind of, well, "eh." Big portions, okay, great. But not very tasty. I'm not sure if the mediocrity stemmed from the fact that it was around 10:30 or 11:00 when we arrived, but it was a disappointment. The server was friendly; although, we were a little annoyed when he handed us the check at the end of the meal, only to find out that it wasn't free re-fills on the drinks! We paid $10 for my daughter's two glasses of LEMONADE! Pretty sure I could've bought a lemon tree and made lemonade for the rest of my life for that price! I know...NYC...what do you expect...

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Oklahoma
“Awesome food experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

We called for reservations, and after a short wait in the bar, we were seated. The food is served family style, each entree will easily serve 4 or more, I highly recommend the Calamari, its huge. Since we were a party of 4 women. we shared Chicken Marsala & Penne Alla Vodka. But we saved room for Taramisu which we all devoured, that too, was huge. We may have walked in, but I felt we probably "waddled" out. This was my favorite restraunt on our NYC visit.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Niagara on the Lake
“Go as a group with an appetite.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

My wife and I ate here prior to seeing Rock of Ages next door. Luckily we knew the portions were huge, ordered the chicken parm and planned on coming back after the show for the titanic chocolate dessert but were still to full after the show. Great value and great food. Could eat here every night.

Visited October 2012