“Family-style Dominican Flavor Experience” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Latin
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Topanga, California
“Family-style Dominican Flavor Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Stopped for a late lunch on our way to The Cloisters Museum. There was a line, but it moved quickly, and we were seated at a booth in the back. While in line, we watched the plates of Dominican specialties coming out of the kitchen --big plates of chicken and rice, beans and plantains. Tacos, soups, steaks and seafood paella. Mango shakes. Simple fare but so wonderfully delicious, served family style to share. The kids loved the crunchy grilled and flattened garlic bread that came immediately. I thought we ordered too much, but we ate everything! The wait staff and atmosphere was friendly and welcoming. It was a Saturday afternoon and the restaurant was filled with families speaking several different languages. A cultural and culinary experience off the beaten path, and well worth the trip. Great value, too! We were impressed.

• Visited April 2013

Pasadena
“This food is sooooooo GOOD”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

This is my first experience with Dominican food. And I must admit that any I have after this will have a lot to life up to. The chicken, lobster mofongo, plantains, and beans are just to die for!!! This place has a warm family vibe and staff is amazingly fast. If you come on a Sunday around 3 expect a wait. But the staff gets you seated pretty quickly. Trust me it's worth the wait. Yes add this to your list of must eat places in NYC.

New York City, New York
“Best Yellow Rice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I moved to Washington Heights from Hell's Kitchen (sigh, I know, what I get for getting engaged to a nurse at Columbia and couldn't turn down the gigantic hospital housing apartments)...
ANYWAYS. So I was bummed, Sad, to move from probably one of the most foodie parts of Manhattan, to a place I didn't even know was on the Island!

I probably get the whole chicken w/rice and beans combo 2-3 times a month. Their Whole chicken and rice deal is probably the best and most delicious in the city. GET THE YELLOW RICE. It has so much flavor, I eat it alone!

Their Modongo (tripe soup) isn't as good as others and their Maduros (Sweet plantains) aren't as caramelized as I normally prefer. But I still come back... for the yellow rice!

Visited March 2013
“Great cuisine!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We had a great experience here and really enjoyed the food! Lots of variety and great service! This was one of the best spanish restuarants ive had the pleasure of visiting.

Tucson, Arizona
“Cuban Style on Upper West Side”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

They call themselves "el rey del pollo" and my friends agree that their chicken is special. We eat fish and it was quite good=though beware the "crab meat" as it is fake.

Visited September 2012