“Excellent restaurant” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hourglass Tavern

Hourglass Tavern
373 W 46th St, New York City, NY 10036-3810 (Midtown)
+1 212-265-2060
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Hourglass Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #340 of 12,022 Restaurants in New York City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American
Good for: Dining on a budget
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Between 8th & 9th Avenues (We are on Restaurant Row)
Transit: The Hourglass Tavern is 4 blocks away from The Port Authority Bus Terminal. Nearby subway services include The A,C,E,N,W and 1,2,3 trains. We are within a short walking distance of Times Square, countless Hotels and Theatres.
Description: We are located in a 4 story renovated brownstone on famed restaurant row in New York City and a welcoming staple in the neighborhood. We have 3 distinctly different floors for service. 1-Original Tavern, 2-Bettibar, & 3-The Top of the Glass. Our kitchen was built 30 years ago to serve 14 seats but now accommodates the requests of 62. If you're not a local now, you will feel like one when you're done!
s. wales
“Excellent restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

Best meal in New York. Friendly staff and v.reasonably priced. We were four people and each had a different meal, but everyone enjoyed. It was a terrible night so it was quiet but I'm sure on a better night there would have been more customers. Very handy for Broadway.

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

indianapolis
“Very nice pre-theatre meal. Would suggest reservation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

the Hourglass Tavern is very small and is on three floors. Would recommend the bottom floor but you need a reservation to be seated there. The food was very fresh and flavorful. Service was prompt and very personal. Do not be put off by the facade. The food was great. Menu had a great deal of variety. I had crabcakes with broccoli and coconut rice. My wife had salmon with mashed potatoes and broccoli. Both were excellent

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
“Best cheesecake, served with a smile”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014 via mobile

I think the first thing to say is don't let the appearance of this restaurant put you off going inside. I have to admit that if I'd been judging it simply on walking down the street to find somewhere to eat I probably wouldn't have gone in, but my husband and I had seen good reviews on here and chose to give it a go.

We had main courses which were both simple but very tasty, followed by dessert. My husband couldn't decide between the cheesecake and the chocolate lava cake, so the waitress said she could give him a bit of both which went down very well! I think I can safely say it was the best cheesecake that either of us has ever had, and the lava cake was pretty good too. Service was great, so this is definitely somewhere we'd recommend that you give a try. The pre-theatre 3 course menu looked like it would be very good value too.

Visited April 2014
Valley, Washington
“A Gem in the Theater district”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

We chose Hourglass based on many great reviews and we were not disappointed. We ate early so the place was pretty quiet. It has a great ambiance and the wait staff were friendly and attentive. I had the crab cake dinner which was excellent.

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Saint Joseph, Michigan
“Great pre-theater dinner location.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

Recommended by a friend. As we walked to the restaurant, I wasn't sure about going in from the looks of the outside,but we did. It is extremely small and narrow, but goes up three stories. The food was very reasonably priced, great cocktails, and excellent service. I might have called it a "dive" but it was a lot of fun and we would go again.

Visited March 2014