“Good atmosphere with good food” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1,242 of 11,599 restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: French, Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Between Broadway and Nassau Street
Transit: The 2, 3, A, C, 4, 5, J, M & Z trains to the Broadway/Lafayette/Fulton Street Station. The M15, M103, B51, M22 & X25 buses to Park Row & M1 and M6 buses to Church Street.
Manly nsw
“Good atmosphere with good food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

We loved this restaurant. We were there for Saturday lunch. It has a Parisian decor and food to match. The restaurant is owned by Anthony Boudain. We had quiche which is the best I have eaten. It was reasonably quiet though I imagine it would be very busy during the week. The service was good and friendly ( our waiter hugged us as we left). Whilst there we saw a couple of interesting characters a few tables down. Worth a visit.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

71% Recommend
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Food, Great Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

I ate here late on a weeknight, I believe we sat down at 9:00 or so and the place was still pretty crowded. We had a really nice waiter who stopped by the table enough to check in on us but was in no way a bother. I have eaten here several times and have tried many things on the menu - all very tasty. Good wine list, good food, and overall one of the better restaurants I have found downtown.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
canada
“Great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Three of us ate at Les Halles Downtown back in March. The food was very good. Typical French brasserie food. The portions are very generous and the food is quite rich. If you want to taste their yummy looking desserts, I would suggest skipping the appetizer or share your main course. I had my eye on the crème brûlée but my appetite didn't quite stretch to it. I had to stick to admiring it on the table next to ours.
I was a bit disappointed with the Tartiflette: you really need Reblochon for this dish to be authentic. To be fair, the waiter did warn me ahead of time and I took a chance and found the dish to be too greasy.
The service was also very good. The waiters are very knowledgeable and will discuss recipes and ingredients when you ask. The tables are a little too close together but then again, this is New York.
I wouldn't hesitate to go back next time I visit New York.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Santa Cruz, California
“Good when not busy.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Ate there twice last week. Ate there for a late dinner (about 9pm). Food very good. Staff very good. Shared the meat combo platter which we liked everything. I liked the lamb chops best.
Creme Brulee was excellent. Ice tea was good. The dipping sauce with mixed grill very good. The Blue cheese dipping sause for an extra two dollars okay. Sister stated not enough blue cheese. Ate there the next day for lunch. Much busier. Waiter mediocre. Had to repeatedly ask for refills of ice tea. Had to ask for the dessert menu. Had to ask for refills of water. Would have probably given them a 5 the night before a 3 for lunch. Chocolate mousse was okay. Truffle Macaroni and cheese okay. French Onion soup okay (have had better at Bern's in Tampa. French Fries better the night before (Fresher and hotter) My sister liked her mussels and felt they were better with lemon (had to ask for it.) Sister's husband really liked his hamburger. Waiter at lunch appeared stuck up and like we were bothering him. Waitress the night before was very gracious and didn't appear to have a problem with my sister and I sharing. I did want to go back for the flaming desserts (Bananas and Crepe Suzette which are only served at "Diner" misprint I assume) but didn't have the chance or energy. My boyfriend loves Anthony Bourdain so was excited I went there.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Montreal
“Try the Cassoulet - Exellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I went to this restaurant based on all the good reviews it gets in the media, and I was not disappointed.

I first hesitated between having a steak and fries, the choice of almost everybody around me, or the Cassoulet Toulousain. I chose the latter on recommendation from the waiter and because I didn't go to a French restaurant to have steak and fries (as good as that might have been).

It was the correct decision, and I would recommend this dish to anyone wanting to have a taste of authentic French cuisine. The ingredients were well balanced between the fresh herbs, the sauce, the beans and the meats, and the quantity was just perfect for a dinner. A great dessert followed, and the accompanying wine was just perfect for the dish.

The place was rather packed and the service a tiny bit fast-paced, but nothing unreasonable to me.

HIghly recommended and worth the reputation.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere