“Excellence in Traditional Italian Food & Steeped in History” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Patsy's Italian Restaurant

Patsy's Italian Restaurant
236 W 56th St, New York City, NY 10019-4306 (Manhattan)
+1 212-247-3491
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #22 of 11,771 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, Italian
Good for: Entertaining clients
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Description: Since 1944, we've been a family-run restaurant offering classic Neapolitan cuisine in a warm, friendly environment.
Denton, Texas
“Excellence in Traditional Italian Food & Steeped in History”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

For some 65 years the Scognamillo family has been providing an outstanding dining experience in traditional Italian food dishes, and they are not slowing down. Our family was visiting NYC recently and we enjoyed our third trip to Patsy's every bit as much as our first almost 10 years ago.

Aside from the Frank Sinatra statue prominently displayed on the bar (Blue Eyes having been a regular at this, his favorite restaurant), Patsy's walls are filled with 8x10 pictures of a who's who of stage, screen and sports. The current chef, Sal, is the grandson of founder, Patsy, and just the third chef in the restaurant's history. Sal's dad, Joe, who now works the front of the house, was the second chef in between Patsy and Sal.

Old school Italian is done at it's finest at Patsy's. A professional male wait staff provides outstanding service. The menu is huge and provides way too many mouth-watering choices. From their appetizers to freshly prepared vegetables, pastas to seafood and meats on to their house specialties, Patsy's has you mulling over each choice because they all sound so delicious. They'll adjust an order or dish to your liking to accommodate special tastes. That's only possible when you have a kitchen that aims to please and is preparing everything from scratch.

One thing by which most old school Italian restaurants are judged is the marinara sauce--basic, simple red sauce. On this note alone Patsy's passes with flying colors. If you grew up dunking a piece of crusty Italian bread in the simmering pot of Mom's or Grandma's sauce, you know what I mean.

Chef Sal will often get out of the kitchen and mingle amongst those dining and we were able to get a photo with our fan-friendly chef at our most recent visit.

Patsy's is a 5 out of 5 and a must if you appreciate traditional Italian dishes. ***Plan ahead--to assure yourself of a table, place a reservation.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Cheshire
“Wonderful experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Our visit to this restaurant was the highlight of our New York trip - it was so cold outside, and we hadn't booked but we were given such a warm welcome! From the minute we entered Patsy's we were given such wonderful service - I can't praise the place highly enough. We were given a great table even though the restaurant was almost full.

The food was great - my husband chose the veal chop and it was superb (I'm vegetarian, and my pasta dish was to die for!) Starters and desserts were also delicious. The chef, Sal, came out of the kitchen to check that everyone was happy with their food, and to have a few words at every table.(I imagine this is something that his father and grand-father did before him, when they ran the kitchen - a wonderful touch)

The decor and the atmosphere is reminiscent of another age - an age when dining out was a "night-out".(The dessert trolley is amazing!). Simply, great food, in wonderful surroundings with knowledgeable, unobtrusive staff who really cared (for instance, I ordered coffee and it was really too strong for me - the waiter noticed and came to ask if I would prefer something "a little lighter ?" and promptly changed it for a milkier coffee with extra milk in a jug. How wonderful to notice that I was not drinking the coffee - they seem to see everything without making it obvious that they are "keeping an eye" on every table.

A wonderful last night of our trip to New York - thanks you Patsy's for making it so special.

New York City, New York
“Old time ItaLian”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Wonderful staff, delicious food, a bit noisy, but lots of good energy.

Still run as a family business with great quality

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Colorado
“Superb Classic New York”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Some 30 years ago I dined at Patsy's for the first time. It was an exciting place to see and be seen. It was a nightspot that simply oozed cool elegance and style.

...and it still is. Step into a restaurant where you can experience that classic, vintage New York. Where the waiters, most of whom have worked there for at least a couple of decades, are the finest example of the art of restaurant service. Where you're not rushed through your meal, but expected to 'dine'. Where the smoky aura of legends who passed through here still resonate in the ambiance, and any updates accentuate the past, rather than erase it.

Because of the reason for my visit to NYC, I was not in a situation where I could dress at my best, and I was still treated with the respect and quality of service shown to the more affluent diner.

Pasty's does not allow itself to rest on it's legendary reputation alone. No shortcuts are taken with the quality of their food. They don't expect you to dine there simply for the fact that it was once a hangout of The Rat Pack, or Liza Minnelli or any one of the hundreds of celebs that have passed through their doors. They expect you to dine there because the food is impeccably prepared and the service is exemplary. No foo-foo fusion here. No nouvelle cuisine-ish minimalism. Just Southern Italian classics at their most excellent.

The waiter asked what I like and when it wasn't on the menu, the chef made it just for me. A Gnocchi with Pesto and Prosciutto. Delicious little pillows of potato with a rich basil Pesto sauce. Outstanding. My dinner mate chose a classic Shrimp Scampi. Huge shrimp with fresh garlic broth. Detailed perfection. More than sufficient portion sizes.

But this kind of perfection doesn't come cheap. Be prepared to spend some serious cash. But if you want to splurge, this is certainly the place. Beware that cocktails, wine and coffee are the stuff that could easily double the final tab. However, if you're going to come here for the entire experience, I suggest you throw caution to the wind and go for it. Reservations are a must, especially on weekends.

I'll save up for my next visit to Patsy's and maybe I'll even ask to sit at Sinatra's favorite table...

• Visited November 2012
Johnstown, Pennsylvania
“Most amazing Italian restaurant in New York City! Authentic!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

If there is one restaurant you visit in NYC...make it Patsy's. My wife, kids and I travel to New York for fun a couple of times a year. We always have at least one meal at Patsy's each visit.
Frank Sinatra was the reason we visited Patsy's the first time about 10 year ago. Patsy's was a favorite of Frank's...and if it's good enough for Frank, well... The amazing food and service keeps bringing us back.

From our first visit we were made to feel like family. Patsy's is still family owned and run by Patsy's son, Joe Scognamillo and grandson and chef, Sal Scognamillo. The wait staff is old-school, friendly, attentive and among the best I have ever experienced. On many occasions, if it's not super busy, Sal comes out of the kitchen to make sure everything is fine. We have always been made to feel as if we are celebrities, which we are not. Joe and his lovely wife are often in the front. Don't miss a moment to say hi and let them know how your dinner was. They are very friendly and are gracious and appreciative of the feedback.

The food at Patsy's is amazing, fresh, homemade and the best Italian food you will ever have. The family recipies are delicious and huge portions. If you leave hungry...it's your own fault.

Even though Frank is no longer around, celebrities still frequent Patsy's. We get to Patsy's twice a year and we've seen Frankie Avalon on a couple of those visits. I can't guarantee you will see a celebrity, but chances are good.

During our last visit on Sunday, February 17, 2013, my wife and two children invited my nieces, niece's boyfriend, and an old friend from back-home to join us in the city. We all had dinner at Patsy's and it was a night to remember. Starting with wine to toast my nieces 25th birthday through ordering off of the dessert cart, the evening was amazing. Evenone's meal was outstanding, the service was amazing, and the dessert is to die for. How cool is it that they still have a dessert cart? You will feel like you are in the movie Moon Struck, "Bobo, take the cart away."

After a special evening we all stopped to talk to Joe and his wife to tell them how they always make us feel special when we have dinner there. The were so gracious and spent about 15 minutes talking to us and sharing stories. They even got out a family photo album and show pictures of their 14 year old grandson making fresh gnocci. I am very happy to hear that the family traditions are being passed on.

My wife and I are fortunate enough to be able to visit Patsy's a couple of times a year. If you get a chance to go even once, you will not be disappointed.

We have a goal in life to have as many authentic experiences as possible. This is definately one of them!

Thanks Scognamillo family for such memorable experiences!!!

• Visited February 2013