“Bad meal and service at Lunela” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Lunella Restaurante

Lunella Restaurante
173 Mulberry St, New York City, NY 10013-3758 (Little Italy)
(212) 966-6639
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Little Italy
Locust Valley, New York
“Bad meal and service at Lunela”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

This restaurant is to be avoided. Here's our story for not the first time.

Our party of three was seated quickly and politely. It then took about 15 minutes to receive any attention.

My wife ordered chicken florentine and decided it was delicious.

Our friend ordered lobster ravioli. It was under-cooked and cold.

I ordered a dinner special, "sausage and peppers". They brought me only sausage and peppers. "I asked (politely I must add), where is the pasta?" The response was, "You didn't ask for that." They looked at me as though I was some kind of moron and had never been to a restaurant. What kind of restaurant serves sausage and peppers by itself? They redid the order and brought it back in less than 90 seconds with this barely cooked pasta that they charged me an extra $3 for. I can purchase a whole pound of pasta at the grocery store for $.99. They argued with me over this and were rude and insulting. My meal whole was really a disgusting and greasy mess that I should not have eaten as it eventually made me sick. I have never been treated so rudely by a restaurant staff. For example, the waiter was rude to my wife and our friend, especially when he told our friend to "Move your bread plate I need the space". Then this older woman came over and decided to scold me and she kept touching my arm, which was weird.

In the end the waiter came and gave me the check and loudly informed me that it did not include a tip. For all of this and his final approach he/they received $0. In terms of waiters and ethics, a few years ago I brought a party of six to Lunella. A friend of mine picked up the more than $200 tab. He didn't know that they added a gratuity to the bill and I told him outside after he left $40 on the table. He went back to get his $40 and nobody seemed to know where it went or had even seen it.

As I mentioned earlier there was this older woman hovering around and constantly interrupting dinner and saying there has never been a complaint when there is clearly a long list on this sight.

The bottom line is that this place is to be avoided. They got their last dollars out of me last night, that's for sure. We should have left but I didn't want to make a scene in front of our guest. Maybe that's there business plan.

• Visited October 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

East Bay
“Good food and wine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Lunella is a charming restaurant in Little Italy. My husband and I enjoyed the ambiance, food and wine. The server was Italian and several of the restaurant patrons were, as well. I took that as a good sign. I had the sausage and peppers from the lunch menu with their house chianti and had a tiramasu after. Yum!

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Calgary, Canada
“Food Was Average, Waiter Was Horrible”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

My wife, adult son & I had dinner here in late Sept 2012.
It took forever for the menus to be delivered to our table
When the waiter showed up for beverage orders, my son asked for a glass of red wine, something full bodied.
The waiter's terse reply was "we don't have any full bodied wines" & then he just stood there.

The meals were pretty average, nothing special and relatively expensive for what we had.

I wouldn't go back

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Guelph, Canada
“Great Little Italy restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Great service and tremendous food. All six in our party were copmpleletly satisfied with our meals. The calamari was exceltional and a little different from the norm.

Visited September 2012
montverde
“great time in little Italy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

Loved the food and service. The waiter allowed me to taste a wine before ordering. Prices very reasonable.

Visited September 2012