“Solidly good, but not my favorite by far” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Trattoria Dell'Arte

Trattoria Dell'Arte
900 7TH Ave, New York City, NY 10019-3203 (Manhattan)
(212) 245-9800
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Trattoria Dell'Arte is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #503 of 11,776 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Outdoor seating, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Cross street: Between 56th and 57th Streets
Transit: F, N, R, Q & W trains to 57th Street.
Hanover Township, New Jersey
“Solidly good, but not my favorite by far”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

I was looking forward to this restaurant because it is a favorite of some foodie friends, and while it was good, I have had better dining experiences. But, to be honest, some of that is because of my food preferences. One of the draws to this restaurant is their huge antipasto bar that features many selections of vegetables and seafood. My friends love this and rave about it - but it is not my cup of tea. Two of them had the 6 serving size for entrees. Some shared a margarita pizza and it looked super thin and delicious. Cut into small squares for easy sharing. I had the cold mushroom soup. My first thought was that it would have been better hot, and my second thought was - wow this is a HUGE portion. Like so big it was silly for one person. I barely ate half. My hubby had a Cesar salad with blueberries (???) and amazing croutons. As for entrees, they were a LONG time in coming. At least 1/2 hour. As mentioned earlier, 3 diners went with the veggies and they seemed happy. My hubby and one other had the signature dish which is a veal parm. It is huge, literally the size of a dinner plate. On the waiters recommendation I had the chicken parm (still large, lets say the size of a dessert plate) but much more manageable. It comes with pepperoni on it so it looks like a pizza. Too full for dessert, but they give you a nice plate of some crunchy orangey chocolate bits - yummy. Service, like I said, was slow. Our waiter was pleasant, but definitely not trained in the waiter service that you expect at the better NYC restaurants. So all in all, a good meal. But not great.

• Visited September 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

• Turkish first
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
“Recommended by a local”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2011

We were wondering around 7th Avenue looking for one last lovely meal before flying back to the UK later that day when an elderly local lady asked if she could help (she thought we were lost). She recommended this restaurant. We were warmly welcomed, shown straight in and given a choice of tables. Our waiter was very friendly with a good sense of humour. He took time to answer our questions about the food and gave good advice regarding the portion sizes and how much we should order. We had the Supreme pizza and a bottle of red wine. Though the wine was more expensive than we are used to at home, it was no more expensive than any other restaurants we went to in New York. The pizza certainly lived up to its name. It was huge but with a very thin crust so we didn't fill up on dough but could really savour all of the varied toppings (the homemade fennel sausage was superb). When we are next in NYC we'll definitely eat here again.

• Visited August 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Lively atmosphere, friendly staff, food delivery a little slow.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011

The staff was very patient in finding us a table location that fit our needs and taking our orders. I enjoyed my snapper, the calamari steak got a good review, but the tagliatelle was reported to be a bit on the bland side. It took a little longer for the food to arrive than we would have liked. While not our favorite Italian restaurant in N.Y., the location was very convenient for us, and well worth a visit.

• Visited June 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Jackonville, FL
“Good but not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

My wife and I went here recently and the veal parmigiana was good but no great. It was huge as is their trademark but for the first time in my life i encountered a bone in a pounded veal chop. The bread was great. My wife had a veal milanese but it was somewhat flavorless.

• Visited June 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Toronto, Canada
“Great food and friendly service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2011 via mobile

Non-classical Italian fare. Pasta and pizza excellent. The special seafood, that night, was soft-shell crab that was beautifully prepared. All the servers were pleasant and seemed genuinely pleased to be working there.

There were whimsical touches to the decor.

A great vibe to the place. Plan to come back the next time I'm in NYC!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere