“not the experience we expected from a Willie Degel restaurant” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Uncle Jack's Steakhouse

Uncle Jack's Steakhouse
440 9th Avenue, New York City, NY 10001 (Garment District)
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Uncle Jack's Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #868 of 11,777 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Vegetarian, Wine Bar
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Garment District
Cross street: 34th Street
Transit: Penn Station and 1, 2, 3, A, C, E subways within two blocks. Walking distance to Port Authority bus depot and B, D, F, M, N, Q, R subways. Local bus lines.
Description: Welcome to Uncle Jack's, "The Best Steakhouse in New York City," where superior quality and obsessive dedication to craft are the norm. Said by many to have the best steak in New York, Uncle Jack's is proud to have served some of the world's most educated and discriminating food connoisseurs.Since its inception in 1996, Uncle Jack's has become legendary for unsurpassed consistency and quality. Serving the best steak in New York means featuring the finest USDA Prime Beef, cut to our exact specifications and aged between 28-35 days. World famous Kobe steaks, and a full menu of the finest foods available, are just a few more reasons why Uncle Jack's has become a steakhouse landmark without equal.
Ontario
“not the experience we expected from a Willie Degel restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

If you've watched Restaurant Stakeout on TV, you know that Willie Degel prides himself on customer-focused service excellence and teaching that philosophy to other restaurant owners. Based on my experience, I'd say he has some work to do in his own restaurant.
Hubby and I enjoy nice meals and many nice restaurants, and jumped at the chance to eat at Uncle Jack's since it was down the street from our hotel, figuring it would have to be a great dining experience. To start, the service was slow. After being seated, it took some time for us to be greeted by our waiter. One waiter appeared with menus and water, introduced himself and another waiter (the captain) across the room, telling us the captain would be over momentarily to explain the menus and review specials, etc. We waited at least 10 minutes while the captain passed by several times attending to other tables and never did he speak to us. After about 20 mins the first waiter came back to take our order, and I told him that we'd not yet heard about the menu, specials etc. He told us what we needed to know and gave us another minute.
We ordered appetizers (shrimp cocktail and crab cakes) - hubby enjoyed his shrimp, and I pretty much hated my crab cakes. They were full of filler and many bites were only breadcrumbs, no crab. I ate them anyway, why I don't know.
For dinner I ordered a filet, medium. Hubby had the rib chop. When they arrived, mine was very underdone. Bloody. I sent it back once I finally flagged down the waiter to tell him about it. Meanwhile, hubby stopped eating his steak to wait for me. The waiter didn't ask how his was, or offer to remake his so it wouldn't go cold while mine was re-fired. When mine arrived again, it wasn't a fresh steak, but the one I'd had, just cooked again - I could tell because it was cut into, like I'd left it. I couldn't believe they did that. But when I cut into it again, it was still very rare in the middle. I sent it back again. Once again they didn't offer to do anything for hubby's meal, since his had been going cold while waiting for mine, then he finished his while mine was gone the second time. So he ate by himself, then I had to eat by myself when I finally got it. That doesn't make for a nice meal.
The manager brought my steak out the final time, with her apologies. Her words: "to be wrong once is okay but twice isn't". I don't entirely agree - to have it cooked incorrectly once isn't exactly okay. But whatever. She offered to remove my entree from the bill, but still not once did she ever inquire as to how my husband's meal was, or seem to notice that the fact we ate separately was an issue.
After our meals were cleared, we sat probably 15 minutes without being offered dessert menus, coffee, etc. I finally asked the captain of our waitstaff as he passed by, if I could see a dessert menu and he actually said... wait for it... "no". Huh!!?? He explained that we were receiving a complimentary dessert from the manager and it would be out shortly. Then walked away. Well, that's great, but if a customer asks to see a menu, we should be given a menu. We didn't know what our options were, what was coming to the table, there was no asking us about preferences or allergies. And to boot, the polite thing to do would be to have the manager or the waiter actually come and tell us that we were being offered dessert, not make us wait without any service or attention until we asked, to find that out. I had to ask another passing waiter a few minutes later for a dessert menu, so we could actually see what was offered.
When the complimentary dessert finally did arrive, it was nice - a medley of 3 or 4 of their desserts that they'd obviously put together on a plate just for us. It was nice, but the rudeness of the wait captain and how they handled it wasn't so good.
Overall the food was okay, but the service was lacking. I certainly wouldn't race to go back. There are equally good steakhouses in NYC and we've had better service in many of them. Willie Degel should put some cameras to work in his own restaurant and keep a closer eye on things. We expected more.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
UncleJacksSteakhouse, Public Relations Manager at Uncle Jack's Steakhouse, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Hello,

Thank you for your review. We appreciate all feedback that we receive, and are going to take your comments and address them with the appropriate staff members.

Best,
Chanelle

“Don't believe the hype”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

Just not good. We were fooled into thinking this was a world class place based on what Willie sells on the TV show. I can't even watch the show anymore because it's obviously all Bs.

Steaks were totally burnt, all I tasted was charcoal taste. Mashed potatoes were ridiculously cold, bread was hard, Mac and cheese tasted like absolutely nothing.

We didn't even want to complain but they noticed we had one bite of everything and stopped. The manager told us "that's our signature, if you want it a different way you need to tell us" I couldn't believe it. I wanted to ask "cold potatoes and tasteless Mac is your signature?" but I just accepted his answer, paid for my meal, tipped well and let to find another place to eat.

Waiter pressure us into ordering so quickly at the beginning as well. He asked two separate times for our food order and he hadn't even asked for our drink order.

I felt like I was being recorded for a joke, it was that ridiculous.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Hello,

We find your feedback very valuable. Could you send us an e-mail at socialmedia@unclejacks.com so that we can find out more details about your experience?

Thank you!

Best,
Chanelle
Coppell, Texas, United States
“Enjoyed it very much - Westside location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

We had a lovely meal at Uncle Jack's on 9th. Our waiter was "Mike" (although after introducing himself he also gave another name of someone who was supposedly our "captain". Never saw that person and not sure what they were supposed to do). However Mike gave us excellent service. I had salmon which was perfect as far as I could tell. My daughter had a filet. Our sides were Mac-n-cheese, broccoli, and mashed potatoes. We got desert to go (bread pudding and cheesecake). Also had raw oyster appetizer. All was timely, properly cooked, and we were well attended. It was pricey but not more than I would expect for a nice New York steakhouse. We got reservations same day without difficulty. Wine menu with good variety.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“Good but overpriced steak with average service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

On recommendation we went to Uncle Jack's in late December to get a good piece of meat and a bit of the famous NYC steakhouse atmosphere. The place was packed, there was a lot of noise around us which probably was due to the fact that the tables were so close to each other that you hardly get through to your seat. The steak was very good but USD45,- for a 500gr fillet without any sides was a bit harsh in my opinion. The service was ordinary and we got the feeling that we were rushed to finish our meal so that the table can be used for the next customers.
Interesting experience but not to be repeated anytime soon.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Manchester, United Kingdom
“amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

Fantastic steak house that keeps the originality of New Yorks flavour and style. The cost may seem a little daunting but it is worth every cent.

Visited March 2013