“Great coffee and lunch-stop” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Little Collins

Little Collins
667 Lexington Avenue, New York City, NY 10022 (Midtown)
12123081969
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #146 of 12,022 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Coffee Shop, Australian
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: Midtown
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Great coffee and lunch-stop”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

An Australian coffee shop typical of what you'd find in Melbourne, Australia. Barristers were skilled and knew how to serve proper espresso. Their beans are sourced from Counter Coffee Culture (Durham, NC). I found the mocha to be a little too sweet, but my husband's double-shot latte was top-tier coffee - what you'd expect from a good coffee shop in Melbourne.

Make sure you try the lunch menu. It features an Australian favourite - the Avocado smash. Although we didn't try this, everyone else in the cafe who ordered it had empty plates when they were done. I can highly recommend the Charcoal Chicken sandwich though.

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“My new favorite coffee shop”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

This little hole in the wall has awesome food, boutique style service and an Australian twist. I hope it doesn't get too crowded for me to go. I love the pastries and homemade cookies that accompany the exceptional coffee. My only complaint is that it is outgrowing it's tiny little space, but that's to be expected.

• Visited January 2014
Melbourne, Australia
“A decent coffee in New York”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

If you are missing a decent cup of coffee in New York, go to Little Collins, 667 Lexington Ave. It is a tiny cafe, but you can get a top quality flat white or cappuccino. The owners are from Melbourne Australia, hence the name (based on Little Collins St). Fantastic!!!

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sydney, Australia
“Shout out to Aussies - Best coffee in NYC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

Found this gem on day 3 in NYC, that means after day 1 horrid Starbucks, day 2 acidic coffee at Dudley's & passable watery but unburnt coffee at Irving Farm. Truly - Little Collins was a godsend & I would choose my hotel just to be near it for my daily caffeine hit.

Very stylish fit out & a very calm ambience. New under bench top coffee machines gives an illusion of extra space in this little hole in the wall.

I almost cried with relief when I saw the words 'piccolo latte' on the menu. (You try explaining how to make a piccolo to a Starbucks server & you'll feel the same) then wanted to leap for joy that Hubby could have a flat white & the kids could have vegemite on toast. My piccolo was great. Lovely roast with no burn (which seems to be a positive coffee attribute to most New Yorkers)

Went back the next day for lunch. We had three different salads and all were excellent. Healthy but so flavoursome & satisfying from the use of freekah or mograhbie. Shock horror - I ordered a decaf piccolo - the hardest test for a good barista as so many of the roasts are overly acidic and almost acrid. And? It was so bloody good I asked the barista if he'd made a mistake & given me regular beans.

Staff were from Australia, New Zealand & South Africa on my visits. All exuded a level of calm not normally found in Sydney baristas.

I also met the owner, & played 6 degrees of separation, as you do. It only took one to find people in common. He's onto a winning concept & deserves recognition for his contribution to the NYC coffee scene. Hopefully he can educate the locals on what great coffee is.

Well done Little Collins. I wish I could pack you in my suitcase for the rest of our travels around the USA.

Visited December 2013
Melbourne, Australia
“real coffee in New York”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

vegemite toast for the aussie expats
didnt try the food but looked good
busy little boutique cafe
great coffee, flavour, balance, crema

highly recommended