“Simply the Best” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Delmonico's

Delmonico's
56 Beaver Street, Frnt A, New York City, NY 10004 (Financial District)
212-509-1144
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Delmonico's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #308 of 11,771 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Financial District
Cross street: William & South William
Transit: N,R,Z,3,4,5 trains
Description: America's first fine dining restaurant, Delmonico's has been serving fine American food to New York's connoisseurs in its premier location at the heart of Manhattan's financial district. Since opening at 56 Beaver Street in 1837, Delmonico's has been renowned as the birthplace of the Delmonico Steak, Delmonico Potatoes, Eggs Benedict, Lobster Newburg, and Baked Alaska. Upon opening, the original Delmonico's offered then-unheard of luxuries such as private dining rooms, an extensive wine cellar, innovative cuisine, and, above all, warm, personal service. Today, the restaurant continues to honour its heritage with the same warm hospitality and fine cuisine. Delmonico's menu features a range of traditional dishes in addition to the prime Delmonico Steak, aged to perfection in the aging room. Having introduced many dishes and dining customs to America, to dine at Delmonico's is to experience history.
New York City, New York
“Simply the Best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I went to Delmonico's with a Groupon and although this restaurant is not easy to get to, it was worth the trip from 80 miles away. Service was second to none, and the food was excellent. Very large portions that could not be finished, Lobster Newburg and the Baked Alaska were mouth watering. I would highly recommend the trip to downtown NYC.

• Visited February 2013

Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Delmonico’s is located in New York’s financial district a couple of blocks south of Wall Street. It is one of the grandest, oldest (established in 1837) and most iconic restaurants in New York City. The owners claim they are responsible for creating Lobster Newberg, Baked Alaska and Eggs Benedict. I dined there in March with 15 co-workers and thought the food and service were fantastic.

I ordered a great Delmonico steak (boneless rib eye) with Lobster Newberg as an appetizer. I could not decide between a steak or the Lobster Newberg and asked the server if I could combine them as a surf and turf order. The chef would not do that but the waiter recommended that I order a smaller portion of Lobster Newberg as an appetizer and then the steak as the entrée. I thought that was a great idea and my dinner choice was easy after that (a friend next to me also liked the idea and ordered the same thing). As a group we ordered lots of sides with the grilled asparagus being the best (it was REALLY good). We also ordered several bottles of decent wine. For desert we split several items with the Baked Alaska being the best.

The décor and atmosphere of the main dining area of the restaurant are great but our party was large so we were seated in the extra dining room next to the bar. This room was OK but not as nice as the main room. The service was first class and they took care of everything. I really liked the server who suggested the Lobster Newberg as an appetizer.

Overall I really enjoyed my dinner at Delmonico’s and highly recommend it. The prices are high (especially when ordering wine) but are not outrageous.

• Visited March 2013
Kirkwood, Missouri
“Beautiful restaurant, excellent service and delicious food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

We arrived at 8:00 p.m. on Saturday night for our reservation and were seated right away at a nice table (I am not sure there is a bad seat in the beautiful dining room).
We each ordered a glass of wine and discussed the menu with our waiter. We decided on a couple of entrees that Delmonico's created. My wife ordered Lobster Newburgh and I really had no choice but to order The Delmonico steak.Both dished were amazing. Lots of lobster in the Lobster Newburgh. My steak was prepared just the way I ordered and was hot and juicy and melted in my mouth. It was the best.
The atmosphere was great in this classy dining room bursting with shining woodwork, beautiful paintings and great lighting. I am so glad we came to Delmonico's.

• Visited March 2013
Cedar Hill, Texas
“Old world charm but high class experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We dined with another couple. I chose the restaurant because of the name and some other reviews. The dining room was not crowded but you felt that you were in a very fine dining experience with several rooms, paintings on the walls, etc.
The food was excellent with all you would expect from a high class steak place.
It is a place of history so you are dining at a place that fed Mark Twain, Teddy Roosevelt, Charles Dickens, etc.
But those people are not current and you need to know if the steaks are good.
They are.
It is a special occasion restaurant for most of us but it is worth it.
Their service is excellent and they invented the Delmonico steak along with Lobster Newberg and a couple of other items.
It's a place of history but I wouldn't recommend it if the food and service wasn't great.
The wine is on the expensive side so if you are economizing - go for the steak and sides along with the great salad choices.
You will be part of history.

Check out the bar as an alternative.
They may have lower priced food and drink at different hours.
When we were there, the bar was not busy but the service and atmospher was just as good.

• Visited September 2012
Ottawa, Canada
“Great food, Excellent Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

We visited NYC over the March 1st weekend. I had long wanted to visit Delmonico's and this trip was our opportunity.
It is beautifully decorated, the food was excellent, and the service was top notch.

Our dinner order consisted of:
Oysters on the half shell which we shared
Lobster Newburg
Delmonico Steak
Baked Alaska

The Oyster's were very fresh and meaty. There were 6 oysters in all, from 3 different regions, all which were explained to us.
The Lobster Newburg was creamy and rich - like nothing I've ever tasted before.
The steak (ordered rare) was done to perfection - I wish other steak houses could get it this right! Not too rare and not over done. Just right!
The Baked Alaska was crispy on the outside, creamy and rich on the inside. *note upon hearing it was my birthday the baked alaska came with a candle - a nice touch!*

They have an extensive wine list, which also boasts half bottles. For a true experience I recommend ordering an Old Fashioned. It was a treat as well, made with Delmonico's own marachino cherries.

The staff also take great pride in the service they deliver. I learned things about Delmonico's and Baked Alaska that I did not know before!

It was a great way to spend a mile stone birthday. Keep up the great work - you are doing an excellent job.

Visited March 2013