“Good food, SPICY curry.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Brick Lane Curry House

Brick Lane Curry House
99 2nd Avenue, New York City, NY 10003 (East Village)
+1 212-979-2900
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Brick Lane Curry House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,910 of 11,750 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: East Village
Cross street: Between 1st and 2nd Avenues
Transit: F,V to 2nd Ave., N,R to 8th Street and Broadway, or 6 to Astor Place
Description: Brick Lane Curry House is a British type curry house reminiscent of an East London style Indian Restaurant. Brick Lane Curry House is an authentic Indian restaurant.
Bridgewater, NJ
“Good food, SPICY curry.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Came here for the weekday lunch buffet earlier this winter before heading to see the tree in Rockefeller Center. The buffet was laid out nicely with a 3-4 meat options and 3-4 veg options, plus rice choices, appetizers, salads, and chutneys. Also ordered a "side" of the famous Phaal to see how it how. WOW. Dipped my fork in it once, stirred that into my daal and BAM that was enough heat for me. Ended up taking the rest of it to go and I'm STILL working on finishing it. I use it to spice up my food at home now :) Good service, clean restaurant...would definitely return.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Food excellent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

After seeing this place on man v food my wife and I decided to seak it out and sample the cuisine! Food wise we were not disappointed. I had a lamb bhuna which was spicey with a beautiful thick tasty sauce, the lamb chunks were melt in your mouth gorgeous, cooked to perfection. Ruth had a vegetarian dish which also had a thick and tasty sauce.
Our slight niggle would be price $20 for a main and $10 for a starter plus $8 for a beer, sure they do throw in the rice and popadoms but $80 for a meal for 2 seems a tad expensive.
Maybe its the time of year but it was quiet so the atmosphere suffered as a result.
Overall, tasty curry, probably on a par with some quality curry houses back home.

Des Moines, Iowa
“Great food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

My friend and I wanted to have Indian food and we found it at Brick Lane Curry House! The meal began with complimentary papadums. We also ordered an appetizer special similar to fried mashed potatoes. They were light and fluffy and the perfect way to start our meal. For dinner my friend had the butter chicken and I had the chicken vindaloo. The waiter warned me that the vindaloo was hot. I enjoy spicy food but this was and 8 on a scale of 1 - 10! The chicken was tender but it was too spicy for my taste. The nan was delicious as well. I'll definitely go back and try something less spicy!

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Best Curry in NYC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I come from the UK and we are obsessed with Curry and Indian food over there so when I came to NYC I went in search pretty much instantly and was recommended by friends to come here.
The curries are exactly what I like, great flavour, quality meat and vegetables, no additional salt and fat to cover up lack of taste as they are all freshly made from proper authentic spices. I love the Bhuna, the Balti and the Korma. If you really want to go for it you can order the Phaal but it lacks taste and is only there for maniacs, you can order the sauce on the side if you want to sample. Appetizers I like are the Samosas(best ever tasted) and Onion Bhajis. Tandoori oven bests are the Lamb Chops and Chicken Tikka. You have to wash it down with a Kingfisher Beer. The owner actually used to own an Indian restaurant in London's original Brick Lane so he knows what he is talking about.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Barnsley, United Kingdom
“fantastic food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

Made a reservation for Monday night 17th December. Staff so friendly and welcoming, made us feel right at home straight away. We started with meat samosas which were huge and so delicious, then my wife had lamb bhuna plain rice and garlic naan bread, which she says was one, if not The tastiest curries she's had! I went for the phall curry challenge (lamb). The first few mouthfulls were divine! and the lamb melted in my mouth. ignore any reviews saying it's just heat and no flavour the garlic, chilli and spices are perfect . About a quarter of the way through the heat really kicked in and it really is HOT!!! but you can still taste the fantastic flavour. Three quarters through and it's really burning but i managed to finish it off,to be congratulated with a much needed beer, then all the staff appear to applaud me and give me a curry monster certificate. This was a fantastic night made extra special by the staff.
Thanks brick lane.