“Great Dining Experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Old Homestead Steakhouse

Old Homestead Steakhouse
56 9th Ave, New York City, NY 10011 (Chelsea)
(212) 242-9040
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Old Homestead Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,811 of 11,777 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Grill
Good for: Doing business, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Chelsea
Cross street: Between 14th and 15th Streets
Transit: The A, C, E and L Subway Lines, to the 8th and 14th Street Stops
Description: Classic Gotham Steakhouse located in the ultra chic Meat Packing District, established in 1868. The restaurant maintains it's strong relationships with their butchers, allowing them to get their first pick of beef. Nothing but prime dry aged meat - always has been and always will be. Winner of the 2006 Wine Spectator Award. Lobsters ranging in sizes from 4 - 13 lbs., sushi grade tuna, sockeye salmon, Colossal crab meat and shrimp so big they are referred to as small bananas.
ringwood
“Great Dining Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

We had a wonderful meal at this long established NYC steakhouse. Very attentive staff and comfortable atmosphere.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Miami, Florida, USA
“Best and Oldest steakhouse in NY”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

A friend recommended this restaurant to us and we decided to try it out. The meal was fantastic as were the drinks and the service.
Will make it part of our regular food stops whenever we visit New York.

Visited December 2013
new york
“WAY too expensive for what you get”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Everything was more expensive than it should be normally, but, on top of that, the food wasn't that good. The service was not very good either. All around, not very good (and the bartender didn't know what simple syrup was for a drink, so she put sugar right into the alcohol--way too sweet). Don't bother. Go to STK nearby.

Visited January 2014
Santa Monica, CA
“Best Steaks and Prime Rib EVER!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

My husband is a New Yorker. He has been many many times. As a newbie to the New York experience. My husband took me on a Saturday night. We dined early before an evening company event. It was snowing .. so Im told it was a rare treat that we walked in on a Saturday night and got seated immediately! Our server has been employed there for 23 years! That tells me something! It was very old New York - if that makes sense. I could almost see a young Brando sitting at the bar! I had a wonderful steak and my husband had the prime rib. My steak was awesome .. bu the flavor of the prime rib made me wish I had ordered that!! Great shrimp cocktail ! And wonderful wedge salad with blue cheese dressing that had chunks of blue cheese ... this is the real deal!! If you like blue cheese dressing - do not miss this salad! The place was packed by the time we left. Make a reservation if you want the best prime rib in town .. or anywhere for that matter!!

Visited January 2014
Staten Island, New York
“3rd Time here... Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

The Homestead is a NYC landmark and has been great in the past but this time, disappointing.
I will start off saying my other trips here were great. Great service, great food.

I am basing my review on today's trip only. The service was very good and attentive. No problem there really. The place is ALWAYS spectacular. Clean and spotless. We ordered a cold seafood app, the shrimp were a little overcooked but lacked flavor. The cold lobster came late. We ordered a rib-eye for 2 with Asparagus w/ hollindaise and Baked potato with truffle butter.

It was cooked to the right temp but the steak, the sides were cool. Cool enough that the truffle butter slices really wouldn't melt well. The 98 dollar steak was also cooler then i would have liked. It also needed seasoning. When i am paying that much for a steak i feel it sacrilegious to use table salt. I had to salt each piece.

Overall.. Great service... food could be in decline... with so many steakhouses in NYC... They need to stay on top of there game.

• Visited February 2014