“Good Food, Good Service, Not Worth The Price” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Old Homestead Steakhouse

Old Homestead Steakhouse
56 9th Ave, New York City, NY 10011 (Chelsea)
(212) 242-9040
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Old Homestead Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,882 of 11,776 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Grill
Good for: Doing business, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Chelsea
Cross street: Between 14th and 15th Streets
Transit: The A, C, E and L Subway Lines, to the 8th and 14th Street Stops
Description: Classic Gotham Steakhouse located in the ultra chic Meat Packing District, established in 1868. The restaurant maintains it's strong relationships with their butchers, allowing them to get their first pick of beef. Nothing but prime dry aged meat - always has been and always will be. Winner of the 2006 Wine Spectator Award. Lobsters ranging in sizes from 4 - 13 lbs., sushi grade tuna, sockeye salmon, Colossal crab meat and shrimp so big they are referred to as small bananas.
“Good Food, Good Service, Not Worth The Price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

I went to this place specifically for the Kobe Beef Burger they're known for from being on the Travel Channel. They already tell you ahead of time it's a $41 burger so the key is seeing if its worth it! It is a very good burger and very big! It's 20oz. The beef is excellent but compared to other burgers, I don't think it's worth quite that much. I think you're mostly paying for the size of the burger and the restaurant's fame rather than the quality of meat. I'd much rather the burger just be half the size and half the price. The most DISAPPOINTING thing about the meal is that you get served a great quality of meat like that with some regular old frozen, deep fried, fast food tator tots that you really don't even want to eat with that burger, they should be serving it with some homemade onion rings or homemade steak fries. As for the service, the staff treats everyone like you're someone important from what I can see just as far as greeting you and while taking your order but they don't check on you very much. Maybe it's because they're always packed. I would like the waitstaff to be a bit more attentive especially with the prices, my glass should never be empty and I should never have to wave you down. Just my opinion. So it's a good place to try if you have money to spend and just want to experience a place you've seen on TV but if its your last $100 you're spending, don't spend it here lol

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Miller Place, New York
“Fine dining..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I saw a tv program about "burgers" and Old Homestead Steakhouse was a restaurant that was featured. I decided to try it. Unfortunately I didn't order the Kobe beef burger because I thought it was pricey, but the steak I had was fantastic. It is your typical high-end NYC restaurant. Excellent atmosphere, excellent service, good food, large bill at the end.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Cheshire UK
“So damm noisey”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

The food was OK, but when entering the restaraunt it was stupid. Youareso on top of each other and the atmosphere was hectic and muddled at best.So, first impression not good.

The Lobster bisque and steak were excellent, with a side of spinach. The waiter sat over the table as soon as we had paid almost pushing us off the table!

The noise level was unbearable, you could not make yourself heard above the tables around, I am all for atmosphere but this was uncomfortable

Would not recomend it to a friend

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Whitestone, New York
“Complete Rip-Off!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Old Homstead had always been my boyfriend's all time favorite steak house, but he had not been in quite a few years due to travel. So, now that we are living back in New York he was very excited for me to experience this legendary restaurant for myself. He took me there for Valentines dinner. We were sat right away, our drinks came quickly, then it all went down hill from there.
For an appetizer we each ordered a lobster tail. Being from New England we were very excited to see this on the menu. Then were quickly disappointed when we saw this "tail." I can only describe it as a thin sliver of a frozen imported lobster-like rubbery tail, which was 1/4 the size of any lobster tail I've ever seen. But our second round of drinks came promptly. Even though the vodka and cranberry was not something my boyfriend ordered, he said "no worries," and drank it anyway. Onto the entree. I order the 22oz Gotham Rib Steak for $44.00 and I asked the waiter if I could have it with the hash brown potato cake that is typically served with the filet mignon. He said absolutely, no problem. My boyfriend ordered the New York strip.
At first glance my rib steak looked amazing, but a few bites into it, it was mostly fat and gristle, the potato cake was just ok.
The New York strip was very good. Then we shared a creme brulee for desert which was also very good. Now the bill....
The potato pancake that I was told could be added to my Rib steak was actually a $10 upcharge, which was never stated ahead of time. It made my gristle-filled steak $54.00 instead of $44.00-- I could have gotten the filet mignon off the menu with the potato pancake for $39.00! The drinks were more of an outrage!
My boyfriend ordered bar vodka and sodas, and I ordered their house cabernet. We were never told that we were going to get upcharged for Grey Goose vodka and premium wine. When we said something to the waiter, he told us that all the drinks were the same. Really? Is this the only bar in the world that doesn't have bar vodka and house wine? Not only that, there was an extra wine put on the bill that we didn't order. Obviously, the Old Homestead sees Valentine's Day as an opportunity to upcharge without telling them and rip people off. We will never go back and my boyfriend, who is very vocal about his likes and dislikes, will certainly tell all his business associates not to go there-- EVER!! With so many restaurants in NYC, there's no reason to frequent a place that thinks it is acceptable to take advantage of their guests, especially on Valentine's Day!

• Visited February 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Greenwich, Connecticut, USA
“OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

A good steakhouse in Manhattan. Prices are business account level expensive. The room was noisy. Food was delicious. Service not as quick and efficient as I expected.

• Visited February 2013