“Tired” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
44 Southwest Ristorante & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3,498 of 11,765 Restaurants in New York City
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Doing business, Entertaining clients
Description: 44 SW Ristorante & Bar is a family owned traditional Italian restaurant in the Hell’s Kitchen area of New York City.
Northern New Jersey
“Tired”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

The food is just OK, there isn't anything to recommend this restaurant. The décor of the place is really tired and I can't imagine it will survive much longer unless they own this building. There isn't much attention to detail with the wait staff. They also charge for refills of soda fountain and ice tea refills--a pet peeve of mine. Pass this place by!.

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Good food, good service, great atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

We dined at this nice Italian on our first full day in NY as it was convenient to our hotel and we were still jet-lagged. I had my doubts as the menu was very bland and standard so here's my tip, ask about the specials and go for them. I had the veal and it was excellent. Our waitress was attentive and advised us very well. it was also very busy and that created a warm an welcoming atmosphere. I'm sure there are better Italian's in NY but it's good value and if you're staying in this area it's worth a look if it's busy.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
United States
“Food OK, service disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Dinner here on a Sunday night. Wanted Italian so we stopped here as we walked along 9th Ave in Hell's Kitchen area. TripAdvisor sign caught my eye. Waitress was just mediocre with service. We ordered 2 entries, but didn't get any bread basket until I asked the person who delivered the food to our table (not our server) for some. Then we got a few end crusty pieces. Entree was OK (44 SW Chicken), but kinda skimpy on the portion if you ask me. Many other places to choose from, so would probably go elsewhere. TripAdvisor sign didn't warrant the rating, IMO, for the quality of service, taste of food, value, etc.

Visited August 2013
“Disappointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I must agree with the review below! We decided to try this restaurant specifically because the menu out front displays the "trip adviser 2013 excellence" sticker - as did the two ladies in front of us who specifically mentioned this as well. The wait staff were attentive and took our order promptly however we did order the garlic bread and were served dry round pieces of thin bread and butter - the bread may have been toasted as it was little warm and crunchy but not browned so not really sure about this. We were starving and ate it anyway giving benefit of the doubt. Then the green lettuce salad arrived and there were about 10 lettuce leaves and 2 slices of tomato in a small bowl; for the price of $8.00 we expected a little better. Still hoping the main dishes would shine we awaited their arrival. The chicken parmigiana was a large meal however the crumbed chicken that was smothered in red sauce and penne pasta could well have been microwaved as it was just warm in the middle and very dry. Our other choice of chicken 44 - small pieces of dry chicken with spinach, mushroom and goats cheese was edible but not great. Overall a very disappointing meal. They may need to reassess the advertising of trip adviser excellence!

Visited August 2013
nyc
“NEVER AGAIN!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

After coming to this restaurant for 20 years, I am sorry to say NEVER AGAIN!!! My mixed salad was so small that I could count the pieces of lettuce, my chicken eggplant rollentini paremesan was dry and nasty, tasting microwaved. My husband had calamari which used to be soooo much better and a signature dish of shrimp tosacana which was below average. The place was packed and there was NOT enough wait staff. The owner and her daughter were trying to hustle, but honestly, not enough. Something is going wrong in the kitchen here, terribly wrong. Time to move on..... not wasting my calories here ever again! YUCK!

• Visited August 2013