“Local Italian With Friends” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
44 Southwest Ristorante & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3,505 of 11,771 Restaurants in New York City
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Doing business, Entertaining clients
Description: 44 SW Ristorante & Bar is a family owned traditional Italian restaurant in the Hell’s Kitchen area of New York City.
New York City, New York
“Local Italian With Friends”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

44 SW was a Great time. Met a friend here for a drink & bite we had a wonderful time. Bartender was friendly and attentive, Service staff & Management are welcoming and made sure we had everything we needed before we had to ask. The Food was fresh and tasty, loved the Sauce. Try the Eggplant Rollatini it hit the spot, also tried the pasta special that night and it was packed with flavor. This place is set in the perfect area for going out after dinner. We are coming back this weekend :) Can't Wait.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Carlo S, Owner at 44 Southwest Ristorante & Bar, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Thanks for choosing us to catch up with a friend! I'm glad you received such great service and that you completely enjoyed the food. This is exactly what I like to hear from our guests. We look forward to seeing you back this weekend for an equally enjoyable experience. Thanks for the very kind review!

Take care,

Greenville, South Carolina
“Avoid this restaurant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Overpriced basic italian dishes in restaurant near border between theatre area and Hell's Kitchen. Mid-week dining, early (about 6:30 pm) start. Only 2 other couples in the restaurant. Owner and server spent a good deal of time rearranging pictures nearby while we were eating.

• Visited November 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Ron,

I'm very sorry to hear that you feel the food here is "overpriced basic Italian." That's certainly not what we're used to hearing. We pride ourselves on being a family-owned restaurant, providing authentic and delicious Italian cusine. I'm sorry that your experience led you to recommend others avoid us, but I'd welcome the opportunity to change your mind if you're ever back in the city again. I know we can. My apologies if we disappointed you, and I hope to hear from you again.

new york city
“Recommended by a friend...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

It was...OK. Nothing to write home about. I had passed this restaurant a million times and on a busy Sat it was tough to find a place to eat. Cocktails were great - ambiance, decor - needs to be spruced up. Food was fine.

Visited November 2012
Carlo S, Owner at 44 Southwest Ristorante & Bar, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Thanks for taking your friend up on the recommendation, but I'm sorry to hear that we didn't exceed your expectations. I appreciate the feedback. If you have any more specific information on how we could improve, I'd be happy to hear from you. I hope you'll stop in and let us try again because I know we have what it takes to go from OK to excellent in your book. Thanks for the review, and I hope to hear from you again soon.

Brompton, United Kingdom
“Great comfort food in a nice setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

We stopped the night after hurricane Sandy hit NYC and it seemed that the whole of Manhattan was looking to dine out that evening. Despite being very busy we were welcomed in and seated quickly. It was obvious that they were very busy and despite this the waiting staff were attentive and we didn't wait long for our food or drinks.

The food was good; we started with the Antipasti which was tasty but would have been better with some torn mozzerella and a little rustic bread on the side. My wife had a seafood linguine special which she said was outstanding and I opted for a traditional spaghetti and meatballs. My dish was great comfort food with the spaghetti al dente and the meatballs juicy and packed full of herby flavours.

For dessert we ordered a cannoli and a slice of cheese cake. Both were really good and finished the meal off perfectly. Despite there being at least 15 people waiting for tables by the time we finished we didn't feel at all rushed and left full and content (possibly helped by the pitcher of Sangria...)

We will be recommending 44SW to our friends when they come over to NYC at Xmas and we will stop by again the next time we're in town.

Carlo S, Owner at 44 Southwest Ristorante & Bar, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Thank you for coming to see us after the hurricane hit. I'm glad we were able to get you in and that your family enjoyed everything without feeling rushed or stressed due to the restaurant being busy. That's the kind of experience I'm pleased to hear about. We'd love to see you and your friends during the holidays, and you can expect the same great food and service. Thank you for the kind review!

All the best,

“Italian”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012 via mobile

Well prepared, friendly and sweet waitstaff. Stopped by, saw the menu, and the owner came out to welcome us. Tables are a tad cramped for a generously proportioned Texas (chubby hubby)

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Carlo S, Owner at 44 Southwest Ristorante & Bar, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review us, and I'm glad you took me up on my invitation to dine here. It's great to hear that you enjoyed the food and service, though I apologize if the table was a bit cramped for your hubby. Come see us again any time you're in the mood for delicious Italian. We'll see what we can do to better accommodate your Texan hubby to ensure a perfect dining experience here!

Take care,