“Great location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Union Square Cafe

Union Square Cafe
21 East 16th St., New York City, NY 10003 (Flatiron District)
(212) 243-4020
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Union Square Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #138 of 11,186 Restaurants in New York City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Italian, American
Good for: Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Dessert, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Flatiron District
Cross street: 5th Ave. and Union Square W.
Transit: Take the 4, 5, 6, N, R or L subway trains to the 14th Street/Union Square stop.
Greenville
“Great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

food was good, been to this location 2 times after shopping in area
service at the bar is great always make you fell welcome

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Bergen, Norway
“Great, great, great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

I visited Union Square Cafe following a recommendation from a colleague. And I am glad I did. The service is great, the food is great and the athmosphere is great. I had three appetisers; a plate of oysters, tuna crudo and beef carpaccio and then fantastic cheese for dessert.

I will pass the recommendation on to all readers, and I will visit again.

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Hot at the top”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

I’m a huge Danny Meyers fan, been to Gramercy a few times, read Setting the Table, Bought the Cookbook...huge fan.

However….our (first) experience at Union Square was a bit of a set up....a semi-perfect storm.

First...the place is dripping with character...just gorgeous.

But the night we arrived they were not very bust and we were seated upstairs in the out of the way balcony. Why? This felt odd to us...like we had been banished to the lame zone. In my opinion...this should be overflow seating when things are really busy. It became stiflingly hot up there too. Very uncomfortable actually. And to top it off we were seated next to a 3 top with a drunk, loud, foul mouthed hussy spewing expletives like a Gatling Gun...very distracting…gross actually. Hence the term...semi-perfect storm. I cannot blame the restaurant for each dimension of our un-ideal experience...but we had an un-ideal experience none the less.

The wine list makes ones head spin. I was in the uncommon mood for a very dry, (non-sweet) Riesling and asked if they had one. The waiter said yes. We bought the bottle and (unfortunately) it was very sweet. ??? Bummer. We drank it anyways (not wanting to create a fuss in front of new friends. Who wants to be “that” guy who sends a corked bottle back on the first dining experience?) but I was puzzled by that experience.

Bottom line:
Will I return? Yes…of course.
Will I do some things differently? Yes of course:
-Request main or lower level. And if upper…bring a tank top and shorts.
-Profile the adjacent table and if I sense a hint of a bitter, undersexed, loud, sailor hussy will ask for a new table immediately. Or bring my Bose noise canceling headphones.
-Will order wines I know by brand. Or…make a safer choice or make a fuss and send it back if I’m not happy.
The food itself?
The food was excellent!
No surprise there!...Hope this was helpful…Cheers…g

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Just okay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

Lovely restaurant but the food doesn't really live up to the hype. I had the oyster & calamari appetizer, which was good, but my lamb chops I had as an entrée where just okay. They were sliced too thin and therefore unable to get a medium rare temperature on them

Visited December 2013
London
“A wonderful dining experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

I have eaten at the Union Square Cafe on every visit to New York (over the last 10 years or so) as it's always perfect, whatever the occasion and this visit did not disappoint, usually we are there for dinner but on this trip for brunch. The restaurant is always busy but never feels that way always cosy and with a buzz of conversation, even though the tables are quite snug it never feels intrusive. As it was brunch, I had the calamari followed by the tuna burger. The calamari was beautifully cooked in a fine and crispy batter and the burger cooked the way I wanted it and served with a lovely winter coleslaw. Great food in a wonderful setting. Fabulous as usual.

• Visited December 2013