“Do customers matter? Hostess needs a refresher class.” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Blue Hill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #356 of 11,777 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 6th Avenue and MacDougal
Transit: A,C,E,B,D,F,V at West 4th Street Stop.
“Do customers matter? Hostess needs a refresher class.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

I wish businesses remembered how they stay in business. Customers pay the bills and the salaries of the employees. This seems to have been forgotten by Blue Hill hostess. We arrived 15 minutes early for our 5:30 reservation. After getting a drink at the bar, I asked to point us to our table. A table for 4.
The restaurant was empty. We were given a table in the middle of the room. I don't like tables where people are always walking around me and behind me. So I requested a table against the wall. One would think I had asked for some ridiculous thing, the hostess with the funky hair offered a silly excuse and there was no rationale to sway her from it. Oh well. First impression was not good.
But the food and our waiter made up for her bad behavior in spades.
Fresh ingredients, well prepared, will always ensure a nice outcome. No fancy sauces, like the foam that looks like spit, were anywhere to be found, just really good tasting food.
So, ignore the hostess with the power to treat u badly, and just enjoy a lovely meal. It was worth it, all the way.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Ocean View, Delaware
“Out freakin standing!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

We visited Blue Hill for my friend's birthday on Sunday December 9th, girls night out. Let me just say that words can not even begin to describe how ridiculously fantastic the service was! My whole party are in the service industry and it is always refreshing when you receive great service. Steve was our server and probably would have washed our car if we asked him to! He was wonderful and completely professional. We were never rushed and the food arrived in perfect time, which was sensational also!! I would absolutely recommend this restaurant and will be visiting again!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Delicious food and outstanding service by the entire staff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Our entire experience was wonderful! Great food, our server was Steve - he was awesome! Even the guests next to us ended up as friends by the end of the night!! It was our first experience but definitely won't be our last!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Great food and enthusiastic service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

The dining room, menu and wine list are all excellent and the enthusiasm of the staff for the quality and story of ingredients shines through. unlike many places tables are far enough apart to allow for good conversation.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
los angeles
“Magic food and wine combinations. If you are a wine lover, Sommelier Claire is amazing.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Some of the best and most imaginatively wholesome food I have ever had in a classically elegant setting that isn't stuffy in the least. And our sommelier for the evening Claire was an amazing and inspiring guide to the perfect food/wine pairings. I am still floating from the entire experience. Call, make a reservation, don't delay.

Visited November 2012