“Loved the food. No nonsense place.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Queen of Sheba

Queen of Sheba
650 10th Avenue (Between W 45th St & W 46th St), New York City, NY 10036-2918 (Midtown)
(212) 397-0610
Cuisines: African, Ethiopian
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
New Delhi
“Loved the food. No nonsense place.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

It was the first time I tried Ethiopian food and I really liked it. It was spicy, tasteful and really good to look at. I would recommend it for anyone who is a vegetarian as well since there are plenty of vegetarian dishes in the platter.
Its a smallish place with tables placed close to each other and its usually packed. The service is pretty no nonsense and quite fast. So no complaints over there.

Would definitely go back for more. :)

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Good place but can have better service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

I am not an expert on Ethiopian food but have had it before at other places. I simply love the fact that Ethiopian food is spicy and flavorful like the Indian food I am used to having. I guess my Indian genes were acting up that day and I had this urge of having spicy food. So we decided to give this place a try for lunch during one of our many escapades into the city.

The food is really good. We tried their Taste of Sheba combination dish because it had small portions of wide variety. It also saved us some difficult decision making. We found the platter with some appetizer to be sufficient for 2 people. Also, the place has a very different and homely feel to it. We spent about $20-25/person and I think the place is a good value.

My only complain is that they had the AC turned off and it was a warm day. Also, I think the restroom can be a bit cleaner. But I guess that's just New York. All-in-all a good experience. I did give it a 3.5/5 if I could.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Miami, Florida
“Ethiopia in Manhattan”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

In town with my girlfriend who was here for the Book Expo and she was dying tomfeed me Ethiopian cuisine. Queen of Sheba was her choice. The restaurant is unassuming from the outside and cozy once you're in. We arrived about 6 and had a short 10 minute wait while a table was cleared. We jumped right in with the vegetarian sampler. Some very tasty some a bit bland but all good. We complemented that with a chicken order that was a bit dry and definitely bland...but when paired with one of the spicy vegetarian dishes worked well. If you've never eaten Ethiopian...be prepared to get a bit messy-no utensild in sight. Meals are served with "teff"...a tortilla like substance that is used to enfold the food and guide it to your mouth. It's an acquired skill.

All in all the meal was tasty and a good imtroduction to Ethiopian cuisine. We were seated next to two locals who believe it is the best of several in the area. Service is friendly if a bit leisurely...I had to go to the bar to retrieve the check. It definitely got busy around 7...standing room only as we left. Moderately priced and worth the visit.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Norfolk, Virginia
“Still Waiting...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

To be fair, this review in no way reflects the quality of the food... we never got any. On a Monday night that was fairly busy, our party of two waited over ten minutes to be seated (with nobody ahead of us, and after being asked by three (!) different people how many were in our party) while an available table stood next to us needing to be cleared. Once we finally were seated, no water was served and we had to flag down a server to put in an order. I've never had the experience of feeling completely ignored by the staff, but that was our experience on this occasion. Even as our server brought drinks to the table next to us there was barely a glance in the direction of our empty table. In all, we stayed over half an hour, and simply decided to leave rather than complain. This was not a case of 'unobtrusive' service. This was no kind of service at all. Good thing there's another Ethiopian place right around the corner.

Helsinki, Finland
“A bit of a disappointment”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

I ate here two weeks ago on my trip to NYC. I had high hopes because of the previous ratings, but was disappointed, since the vegetarian plate (many different veg foods on one plate) was just not very good. Not very bad, either, but nothing to be really happy about. The food just didn't have a lot of taste to it, and the spinach stew was just kind of raw or something. One of my friends ate the same plate as me and she said she liked it, and the other friend ate the meat combo plate, but she wasn't very fond of Ethiopian food. I really like Ethiopian food and have ate it in 6 different restaurants and have also been on a cooking course on Ethiopian food, and I'm sorry to have to say this was at the end of my list on where I've had best. Meskerem around the corner from here was a bit better, but I wouldn't go there for the food again either. I'd rather try some of the other Ethiopian restaurants in NYC. Sheba was very full the evening we went there. Didn't have to queue and the food came fast, but the restaurant was quit noisy. The service was okay, nothing really to complain about, but not exceptionally friendly either.

• 2 of 5 stars Food