“A very expensive one-off, but good fun” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Minus 5 Ice Bar New York NY

Minus 5 Ice Bar New York NY
1335 Avenue of the Americas, New York City, NY 10019 (Midtown)
212-757-4610
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #538 of 1,635 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Glasgow, United Kingdom
31 attraction reviews
“A very expensive one-off, but good fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

Surprisingly, this place is actually very small inside.

The seats are all made of ice and your 'glass' that you drink your cocktails from are also made of ice.

That's the novelty aspect, so it is just a bit a bit of fun and different, but it is very expensive.

You have to take one of the various packages on offer. We opted for the $45 option (per person) that included 2 cocktails.

Unfortunately, they don't allow you to take in any mobile phones or cameras to take pictures of this unique experience and, instead, they sell you some over-priced pictures that they take on your arrival.

If you order drinks that are not included in the package, they are very expensive.

I would still highly recommend this place for a short visit, but beware it is a minus 5 degrees bar so don't go with shorts and sandals as many of the people there seemed to do, as they sat there shivering in the freezing cold air.

They should allow you to take pictures, but I suppose that's how they make more money out of customers.

Please note that children under 18 can only go in up until 8.00pm.

Visited July 2014

Porto Alegre, RS
16 attraction reviews
“ice bar”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

this may look like the ordinary ice bar we all have in our towns but this one is better and way more beautiful

Visited December 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
44 attraction reviews
“RIP OFF!! GROSS, RUDE STAFF, SHADY BUSINESS”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

One of the worst attraction experiences I have EVER had. First off, the prices are ridiculous. In order to come in you have to buy one of their "packages" They run from 20 dollars just to enter to 75 to enter and have 2 drinks. We decided to try it anyway hoping for a good experience. I wish someone would have written this review before I went in. First off, they give you one of their jackets. Jackets that are NOT cleaned in between users. So in the hot July weather of NYC, you come in and put this jacket on your sweaty body. They give you gloves that are so thin and ugly you would be better just keeping your hands in your pockets. They basically frisk you before you go in and demand that each person put their phones into their lockers. This is because they want you to pay $20 or more for their pictures. My mother in law did not have a phone and they told her again and again that she had to put it in the locker. She said she didnt have one and they basically didnt believe her and said no phones are allowed inside. She stated again that she didnt have one and they gave her a sideways look and let us go in. The place is EXTREMELY small. About 200 square feet. IF its packed, forget about getting a seat. Youll stand the whole time. After being reprimanded about not having our phones inside, we walked in and found just about everyone in there taking selfies and pictures. I was furious! I decided to go back out and get my phone. When I went out, the staff member pointed me to the bathroom. I went and then went to the locker. She actually STOOD OVER ME making sure I didnt take my phone in. She said to me "Dont take your phone in" I said everyone else has their phone in there. She told me no they didnt (calling me a liar) and said that she would have security go in there and tell them to stop. Why wasnt security in there to begin with????? Now here is the kicker. Security went in and went right to the people who were taking pictures. Problem is, they didnt have their phones out. How did security know those were the people who had phones on them? Well, as it turns out, they were friends of the staff!! We knew this cause they were talking with the staff later. We sat there for about 45 minutes only cause we had the drinks included in our package. If not we would have left immediately. The photographer came by ONCE to take a picture. Why wasnt the photographer taking pictures non stop? She would come in and then leave for 10 minutes and then come back in for 2 minutes and then leave again. We finally left, enraged by the situation. They took our jackets off and hung them right back up. Not even pretending to clean them. When I came in I was sweating from the summer heat. That was all on the jacket when I put it on. So my apologizes to whomever used it after I did. YUCK! I will tell everyone I know going to NYC to not waste their money. I wish someone would have told us!

Visited June 2014
East Sussex, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
“Brrrrrrrrrr......”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

Great fun. Service was excellent. Prices slightly over the top, but the whole experience was worth it. Haven't laughed at myself so much for a very long time. Do it and you will understand what I mean.

Visited May 2014
Tampa, Florida
3 attraction reviews
“Don't Waste Your Time”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

This place is extremely over priced and boring. The size of the bar is very small. The price of a 6 oz soda was $7. You can't take your cameras or personal property inside. If you want a picture, you have to pay $20. We went on a Friday night and it was empty. it's definitely not worth the money. We stayed for a max of 20 minutes.There are much better bars at a much more affordable rate in the area.

Visited July 2014