“We had a lovely experience.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of JW Marriott Essex House New York

You added JW Marriott Essex House New York to your Saves list
JW Marriott Essex House New York
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   160 Central Park South, New York City, NY 10019 (Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Save up to 15%
Ranked #200 of 464 Hotels in New York City
Jersey Shore
“We had a lovely experience.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Based on reviews it seems like "The Tale of Two Hotels" so I can only surmise that they are in the middle of a refurbishment since it became the Marriott. Sounds like some of the rooms need refreshing. (I stayed here years ago when it was the plain old Essex House and the room was small, with no view and not well appointed. (But as everyone notes the location is terrific). I'm a Gold member now so I was hoping for a little consideration and I got it with a fabulous upgrade. Our suite was beautiful, updated to a mid-century Danish Modern style, "Mad Men" type décor, marble bath, separate tub and shower. You can't change a view and the best views will cost you plenty in any NYC hotel but I suppose it is in your best interest to find out if you can get a room that has been updated.

We loved the bar. The executive lounge was only opened for breakfast on the weekend and had a good selection. Loved the art deco design on elevator doors and in the lobby.

Room Tip: Suite 3810. Very quiet, corner suite, does not face the park but has nice updated mid century modern...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

I was attending the opera , and find the Eseex House, JW Marriott to be very conducive to Lincoln center. The rooms are extremely spacious for a NYC hotel. The view is breathtaking, as it sits right across from Central Park. The bar is lovely and has a fireplace. The breakfast executive lounge is the best one I have been at in USA. Great choices for breakfast.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Maria F, Manager at JW Marriott Essex House New York, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us. We hope you enjoyed the Opera and are so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

Lovely hotel with a traditional feel, good clientele which is what you want when you are spending your money right ? Good service even better when you TIP generously ! Good traditional rooms overall luxury feel !!!!! No complaints and I was staying for 5 night over New Years when the hotel was busy and they managed to get it right !!!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Carmel, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

The staff, superb location, and excellent facilities make a terrific combination. My wife and I have stayed at the EH at Christmas time for several years. Enjoyment begins at the curb and continues throughout. The doormen, bellmen, desk clerks, security within the hotel, housekeepers, and the South Gate Restaurant hostesses and wait staff are uniformly friendly, helpful, and expert at their responsibilities. We will certainly return.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

On the one hand: Absolutely gorgeous hotel from top to bottom; views to die for; space-age lighting system in the rooms; insanely comfy bed; instantly hot shower; friendly, helpful staff; most delicious room-service dinner I've ever had.

On the other hand: I had to pay $25 to have a coffee maker in my room, and the cream they brought with it was in a pitcher (no in-room refrigerator, although I could have requested one), so I couldn't have cream in my coffee the next morning. No big deal, but sort of weird. Room service and the restaurant downstairs are hilariously overpriced. The food is uneven; as I wrote above, my dinner was amazing, but the breakfast buffet was no better than what I've had in any other highway hotel.

Overall, it was great, and I will readily stay here again.

Room Tip: Pay extra for the Central Park view, but request a room at the front of the hotel. My otherwise perf...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your room and your views while staying with us. We always look for ways to improve our services and we will review your food and beverage troubles to ensure that these areas do improve. Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the JW Marriott Essex House in 2014!
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

Have just returned home to London after a truly magical stay in NYC with my sons. An amazin city and a beautiful hotel to return to after a busy day shpping and exploring. Aswell as havin the luxurious feel this hotel is also extremely cosy, the beds are unbelievably comfortable sheer bliss after a long day on our feet! The bathroom was lovely and spotlessly clean and we had a large plasma on the wall, all in all a wonderfully welcoming room. This hotel is also in a fantastic location directly across the road from Central Park and close to 5th Ave,
Broadway and Times Square. I would highly recommend this hotel we were so sad to leave NYC but will almost certainly be returning. We stayed in room 1026 on the 10th floor. I am claustrophobic and hate gettin in the lifts especially by myself and the staff always offered me an Escort if my sons weren't around. Great staff who really go out of their way to look after you. What more can you ask for...:0))

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

I had a great experience at this hotel. I guess I was fortunate enough to get a beauiful with a great veiw. The room was totally up to date with a fantastic bathroom and some of the coolest lighting features I have come across. (I spend about 70 to 80 nights a year in hotels). The staff was friendly, helpful and professional. This is a GREAT location especially if you use the subway - easy access to 1, 2, 3, A, B, C, D, N, Q, and R. It also gives you the opition to walk up and down 6th and 7th Aves and avoid 5th. Don't forget to walk the 5 minutes to see the seals being fed at the zoo at 4PM everyday.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to JW Marriott Essex House New York? Share your experiences!