“Best Trip Ever ! Great Room, Beautiful Hotel and Unbeatable location !” 5 of 5 stars
Review of JW Marriott Essex House New York

You added JW Marriott Essex House New York to your Saves list
JW Marriott Essex House New York
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   160 Central Park South, New York City, NY 10019 (Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Save up to 15%
Ranked #195 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Louisville, Kentucky, United States
“Best Trip Ever ! Great Room, Beautiful Hotel and Unbeatable location !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

We couldn't ask for a better experience. We were traveling with three children so their larger suite was perfect. Great location, very clean rooms, friendly service. This was our kids first trip to NYC so we wanted a to be near many of the popular sites as well as relax near the park. This is the perfect location for a family visiting NYC. Thanks JW, we'll be back again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We stayed at the JW Marriott in New York. We had a room with a park view, but when we arrived, our room was hot and stuffy - the hallway was cooler. We were also staying for a special anniversary event and had requested champagne, which wasn't in the room when we arrived - we had to call down to the front desk. We left for dinner and notified the front desk about the situation and they said they'd have someone come look at the a/c. When we arrived back later, the room was still hot. The champagne was there and the melting chocolates. We called the front desk and were put on hold for almost 10 minutes. Finally, my husband said he'd just go down and talk to them in person. When he got there, there was a line that he waited in for over 20 minutes. He said there were other employees but nobody was ever called to help out at the front desk? They told us there were no longer any rooms with a park view available, but they could switch our room. It was late and we just wanted to get a good night's rest so we said OK. No mention of a reduced rate since our "new" room was a lower priced room and no one was sent up with my husband to help us move our luggage, the champange or anything. When we arrived at our new room I couldn't believe the quality (or lack there of) of the room. The bathroom door looked like a beaver had gotten hold of it with huge chunks of wood missing. There was black in the bathroom calk - it wasn't mold, but still should've been removed as it looked awful. The room was hot, but at least the a/c worked and the room eventually cooled off. I'm use to staying at the Hilton where they prepare the room for their guests and have the room cool when you arrive. It was a disgrace. I couldn't believe that after the awful service we "received" they didn't even offer us a free breakfast in their buffet. I guess Marriot doesn't care about their guests the way that Hilton does...from now on, we'll be staying with Hilton. Please look at my photos as they say a lot. This was a $400 room. It is a very dated hotel that needs new carpet.

Room Tip: Make sure the a/c works BEFORE you check in otherwise, you'll be moved into a bad room. The roo...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I was a little nervous about the recent negative reviews but I have only positive things to say. The location is perfect, the service excellent, and the room was clean and comfortable. The concierge staff have us excellent restaurant suggestions. We will stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013
Northport, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

My comments begin prior to arriving. I wanted to make a change to my reservation and was able to speak with Patrick in guest relations. This employee knows the difference between providing customer service and creating an amazing customer experience. Marriott should do whatever it takes to hang on to Patrick and leverage him as an example of how to make guests really happy with their decision to stay at the Essex House. Next I will share my experience upon checking in. We were greeted by Marie (I think). Another employee from guest relations who greeted us in the lobby in lieu of Patrick since he was off that day. He had apparently noted on my reservation that we were staying as part of a family celebration for my son's graduation from high school. We dropped our bags in the sensational rooms Patrick had reserved for us and when returned 2 hours later, an assortment of snacks, candy and bottled water had been delivered compliments of the house with a kind note addressed to the "Coolest High School Graduate at the Essex House". My son felt like a million bucks and it was the icing on the cake. The Essex House out did themselves by creating an experience our family won't forget. See you next year when my daughter graduates and thanks.

Room Tip: High floor Central Park views are stunning
san francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

When I travel to New York I normally stay here. The location is just perfect, overlooking Central Park and close to shopping. The hotel has improved since Marriott took it over. I was told that they are expanding the fitness center but closing down the spa, which I don't like. The best rooms are the suites facing the park. They costs more but are worth it because you have a wonderful view directly on to the park.
The room service can be a bit slow during the busy time in the mornings.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Bloomington, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Family of four stayed here for four nights 6/19-6/23/2013 in a Central Park View Suite. Upon check-in we learned that the kitchen was undergoing renovation and that room service was only available for breakfast. This was not disclosed when we booked. For a place that was charging us over 1k per night, I was disappointed that it wasn't disclosed on the Marriott website from which we booked the room.

Having no room service was a problem the first night because around 9:15 p.m. my daughters, ages six and eight, became really hungry. By that point we were all tired from traveling and sight-seeing so we called the concierge looking for recommended places that would deliver to the hotel. We were told that menus would be brought up. Over an hour later, nothing had arrived. It took two more calls to to the concierge before the menus were brought up. By that time, the concierge, Mauricio, got personally involved. He secured a pizza and a club sandwich for my girls which he comp'd and also comp'd a bottle of red wine for my wife. Although my daughters didn't get to eat until about 11:30 p.m., I appreciated that he tried to make things right.

One other gripe was that you had to call for ice each time you wanted the ice bucket filled and there were times we would have to call repeatedly and wait an hour for the ice to arrive.

The rest of the stay was good. The staff is friendly. The place is well kept. The location is prime.

Room Tip: Call ahead to confirm whether they are still renovating their kitchen and not offering room service...
Minneapolis, MN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

but it could be SO much better. Its an old property thats was redone some time ago. Many of the touches are very nice but there are a few little things that should be much better for $400+ a night.

The shower head was the worst head of any Marriott I have stayed in thru the last decade. Maybe it was low water pressure but the (adjustable) head barely sprayed anything outside of about a 6" cone pattern.

The wallpaper was peeling in the bathroom. In many places.

Mold in the caulk in the shower.

The shower door would not stay closed, so water go all over.

The door had about a 1.5" gap under it that I had to stuff a towel under so I didnt hear every noise in the hall.

Breakfast buffet was quite good, but with limited options.

Staff was friendly.

I am a Platinum and asked for a view but only got a low floor back corner room. Hmmmm.

No concierge lounge at this property.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Been to JW Marriott Essex House New York? Share your experiences!