“I will definitely be going back” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Big Apple Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Big Apple Hostel
Save Saved
You added Big Apple Hostel to your Saves list
119 West 45th Street, New York City, NY 10036   |
St. John's, Canada
“I will definitely be going back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

I stayed here for 13 nights. It was my first time ever staying in a hostel instead of a hotel and I will probably never stay in a hotel ever again. Yes it's true, you need to be in the small lobby to get wifi and there are only a handful of chairs and tables, only a small bar fridge and coffee in the mornings but look at the price! Never once did I feel the place was dirty, neglected or not run professionally.

I was very impressed with all of the staff! The maids were friendly and the people on the front desk were great to deal with. Especially Allen and Ruth! They were so awesome!! I can't express enough how great they were. MASSIVE Shout out to Allen! I actually left my iPad in my room and picked it up for me and mailed it back to my place!!! I think that says a lot about this hostel and the people working there. I highly recommend this hostel and I will definitely be going back there again!

41 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Winston Salem, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

I needed a place close to the theatres and this place fit the bill. Tripadvisor reviews looked good to me so I made the reservation.

What I LOVED:
* The location. It can NOT be beat. It's right in the heart of Midtown,BUT it is actually quiet! I thought there would be a lot of street noise and there wasn't. Also It's right next door to a 24 hour cafe with low prices, what's not to love about that?

* The price. WOW, I stayed two nights and spent about $123.00, unheard of in NYC especially near Times Square.

* The service. I was early and had no problem dropping off my bag. Any questions I had were kindly answered and they had plenty of maps and other tourist material.

What I liked:
* It was pretty clean for a cheap hostel! It was clear that they try to keep it neat and tidy.

* I wasn't hot or cold and the bed, while certainly not hotel standard, wasn't uncomfortable and I slept just fine.

What I wasn't crazy about:
* Lack of information. Their website is very minimal and doesn't have all the necessary information. It's not listed, and I wasn't told, but there is a $10 (Cash Only) key deposit. Usually not a big deal but I didn't have the extra cash on me. Luckily I was with a friend who let me bum the money off him.

* Confusing or misinformation. The website says towels are not provided but there was a towel and washcloth sitting on each bed. The website also says there are dorm rooms and private rooms. Both are two person only but private rooms have the "possibility" to accommodate a third person. I booked one bed in a two person dorm room. What I got was a bed in a three person room. Again not a big deal but it wasn't what I was told. Also, and the most annoying part, there were not enough electrical outlets for three people and none were near my bed. The TWO outlets in the room were near the other two beds so I had to ask one of the other women in the room to let me plug in my phone on their outlet for a while and I couldn't charge my phone overnight. (The outlets where between the bed and the wall so I would have had to climb over a sleeping person to get to my phone) SO FYI if you're in a three person room, make sure there is an outlet nearby before you claim a bed.

* Shared bathrooms. I have no problem sharing and didn't have a problem this time but (I was on the first floor so I can't speak to the upstairs) there were only two single person bathrooms. I assumed that when they said shared bathrooms that it would be multiple stalls and multiple showers. Nope. One bathroom was just a toilet and a sink and extremely small, I'm 5'4 and my knees almost touched the wall opposite while sitting on the toilet! The other bathroom was bigger because it had a shower. One shower! Luckily I didn't have a timing issue with other guests but then I have no idea if the other rooms were occupied or not. So FYI plan your showers accordingly.

Other Info:
There are a few stairs when you first walk in to get up to the first floor. There is an electric stair climber for those who need help but no ramp. If you're in a wheel chair you probably want to call first and see if you can be accommodated.

There was only one overhead light in our room. I was lucky that the women I shared with were on a similar schedule as me but it would probably be prudent to bring a small flashlight if you think you'll be coming or going very late/early as well as a sleep mask in case you share with some one inconsiderate or who has to turn the light on.

Overall:
You get exactly what it says on the tin. This is a cheap, BASIC, hostel in the heart of NYC. There are no frills. You get a roof over your head and a bed. It's clean and simple BUT that is all you need. I would stay here again in a heart beat!

Room Tip: There is a back patio that is right outside some of the first floor rooms. You can hear everything...
Moscow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

We found that hostel quite by chance! Is very convenient as it is located closely to the central station, just 10 minutes on foot. Clean, cosy and very nice! Wi-fi in the kitchen! For that price - perfect conditions!

Room Tip: choose double room.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Ballarat, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

Others have said it, and you're about to read it here again. This is a bare bones hostel. Actually, calling it a hostel is a stretch due to no kitchen or laundry facilities. Well, do your washing before you arrive, and you're in New York! Who cooks when they're in New York?! It's all about location with this one. Right off Times Square, has to be one of the most exhausting places to stay. It is happenin' and it's happenin' all the time. I am a huge fan of the theatre though, attending shows three of my four nights in New York. And it was just fabulous to only have to walk 10 minutes to get to bed when the show finished, and not have to catch the subway anywhere. It's in the midtown area, so walking distance to Central Park, and a short subway ride to lower Manhattan. It's clean, there is wi fi in the lobby (not in the rooms though) and I think pretty great value. Sure, the bed wasn't super comfy. But the place was clean and the people who worked there were pleasant.

Room Tip: I was in room 16 which was a decent sized room with three single beds. They weren't very comfy...
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

As my husband and I only needed a place to lay our heads for a night (11pm to 9am) but had to get a place around Times Square area, this was a really good bargain - based on checks, hotels that were just a few blocks from Big Apple Hostel cost on average about US$400 a night. We paid approx US$153 (slightly cheaper if you pay in cash as opposed to credit card) for 1 night in a two-person private bedroom. All rooms share toilets. If you share rooms with a stranger in a two-bedder, the price gets even cheaper!

The room we got was basic, but decent. No view, just a bed and tv. No bedbugs, although the carpet felt a litle dirty. Towels were provided, although toiletries aren't, so bring your own. As you have to walk down the corridor to the toilet, good to bring your bath slippers as well. Each section (which has probably around 5 rooms - didn't really check) could share a toilet (with just a sink and toilet bowl) and a full toilet (with shower) . Since we got in late around 11pm plus and got up early around 8 plus, we didn't really have to rush for the toilet with anyone else :) The rooms aren't really soundproof, but didn't really matter for us since we got in late.

Overall, if location is really important for you, and cost is a huge factor, this hostel is good. Not much ambience, but good for just laying your head down to rest each night.

*It serves free tea/coffee in the morning at the reception area, and there's a Cranberry Cafe located just two shops away which sells good breakfast and sandwiches. It had long queues during the two mornings we were there.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

This was my first time staying at a hostel, so I wasn't sure exactly what I would be getting myself into, especially with staying for five nighys. I was extremely impressed by the location (literally just a two minute walk before you are thrusted into the middle of times square's theater district. If you go the other direction you are just a few minutes walk to fifth avenue. There is a Starbucks right across the street and a few restaurants scattered down and up west 45th street collectively.

Unlike other reviewers, I did not have a problem with the staff at all. I thought they were super friendly and extremely understanding and helpful.
This is an excellent way to have a cheap stay in the city and meet new people from all over the world. I had three different roommates during my stay, though only got to meet two ( the last one was a girl my age and we got on great. I showed her a place to get 99 cent pizza the night she came in and on our last night in the city we actually walked times square together and took pictures before hanging around forever 21 for awhile.).

I would have given the hostel four stars, maybe even five if I had known the norm for what a typical hostel is like... but it had two inherent flaws. The first was that the wifi was awful, most of the time I couldn't connect, even in the lobby. I wouldn't have minded because I have a data plan, but I could hardly get enough service to load a Web page in my room on the third floor. And the other flaw is probably the most important one... bed bugs. I only have one bite that I can see (though haven't really checked my back for them or anything), but that still means they are there. They don't change the linens on the bed, just the top sheet so I imagine that the place probably has its fair share of the critters.

Also, as some other reviewers mentioned that they did not receive towels. Both my roommates and I all had been given one upon checking in, though perhaps it is just for the people who stay in the two person rooms?

Overall, if I ever go back to the city for a city stay like the one I was on this week, I might go back if I couldn't find somewhere decently priced to stay.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

This hostel was just a place to have a small nap during our transfer from Europe to South Carolina. We spent there only one night, but it was a good night. Brilliant location - less than 5 minutes to Times Square. Comfortable, but quite claustrophobic rooms. Horrible water smell in the bathroom, but it's a deep centre of a large city. The fare was like 30-40 dolars per night. The cheapest solution.

Room Tip: cheap solution for couple of friends
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Big Apple Hostel? Share your experiences!