“Decent Food at Decent Prices” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Renaissance Diner

Renaissance Diner
776 9TH Ave, New York City, NY 10019-6330 (Manhattan)
(212) 246-9873
Improve this listing
Ranked #5,455 of 11,771 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, Diner, Delicatessen
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Delivery, Late Night
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Racine, Wisconsin
“Decent Food at Decent Prices”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I enjoyed the quick service and the tasty Reuben Sandwich and fries during weekend trip to New York. I was craving a Reuben, but wasn't motivated enough to travel over to Carnegie Deli - my feet and wallet were tired! I was seated and served immediately. I wanted soup, and there were two choices that day, so I asked the waiter which he thought was better. For once, a waiter who wasn't noncommittal - he answered immediately, "the minestrone". He wasn't wrong! The bowl was filled with fresh vegetables and the broth had a terrific flavor. While my Reuben wasn't overflowing with more corned beef than I could eat in a month, it was a large open faced sandwich with tender, tasty corned beef (I had my choice of that or pastrami), delicious melted cheese over sauerkraut. He gave me the Russian dressing on the side and it was delicious as well! I enjoyed my meal, and again, was happy the food was all priced very reasonably, which is not always easy to find in New York, especially within walking distance of Times Square!

Visited June 2013

Grimsby, United Kingdom
“Cheap cheerful good service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

We had breakfast here a few times whilst staying in NY, it's in the Hells Kitchen area and is not remotely touristy hence it is great value.
Great selection of breakfasts - husb had corned beef hash with eggs which reportedly were really good and i had yoghurt with granola and strawberrys, bagels and (the best bit) waffles with blueberries and maple syrup - yum.
Service is great, they top your coffee up and its a proper NY diner.
It is far from POSH, it's a proper NY diner but I love it.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Recommended by hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

When we first arrived in NYC, we were eager to grab a quick lunch and asked the front desk at our hotel for a recommendation. They suggested Renaissance Diner which was just around the corner in the Hell's Kitchen area. We were very pleased with the salads and sandwiches that we ordered. Because of this recommendation, we were introduced to other fabulous restaurants on 9th Avenue in Hell's Kitchen. Thanks Hampton Inn Times Square North for sharing where the locals eat.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Montreal, Canada
“Ordinary at best”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

We were told by a local to eat in Hells Kitchen so we came upon this restaurant which showed so much promise. The menu was quite extensive but my husband and I settled on the 1/2 grilled herb chicken dinner. It came with lobster bisque soup which was tasty although a little too much pasta for my liking. I took a baked potato and corn, my husband took mashed potatoes and spinach. Unfortunately the potato was the best part of the meal. The chicken lacked any flavour, tasted more boiled than grilled. I wish I could say the waitress made the dining more enjoyable, however that was not the case. She seemed to want to be anywhere else but waitressing, not so much as a smile. Needless to say we will not be repeat customers.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“More than a coffee shop, broad menu.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

This used to be a great coffee shop. But in recent years, although it's renovated and redone the menu, the service and quality have fallen off greatly. Good for sweet potato fries and burgers, but not good for service and value.

• Visited November 2012