“Worst hotel stay ever!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The High Line Hotel

You added The High Line Hotel to your Saves list
The High Line Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   180 Tenth Avenue, at 20th Street, New York City, NY 10011 (Chelsea)   |
Ranked #300 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Kissimmee, Florida
“Worst hotel stay ever!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We had reservations for 3 nights and our daughter and her husband had reservations for 2 nights. Not once during our stay was our room cleaned or made up. When I inquired they told me it was a green hotel. I don't equate green with clean. No where on their website or in the room does it say anything about being green. In my daughters room the maid left her cart along with dirty towels and trash and she was no where in sight. We had to hunt down toile paper when needed.. Trash was never emptied. During our third day in the city we received a phone call saying we had not checkout out and were being charged. We had a reservation for that evening. I asked to speak to a manager before we checked out. The manager told me she would email after she spoke with her supervisor and I would be emailed my bill. It has been a week still nothing. I called to have my final bill emailed to me and they on.y emailed me a partial bill. After speaking to someone on the phone they said the best they could do for me was give me a $117 credit for a bill over $2500. I stayed in hotels from the Four Seasons to the Holiday Inn Express and have never had a an experience like I had at the high line.

Room Tip: I could not recommend any room there. Totally inadequate staff.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Wellesley, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My wife an I stayed at the High Line hotel while we were going to an opening at one of Chelsea's many art galleries. My wife is a gardener, and was wanting to see the elevated High Line gardens. One of the entrances to the High Line is just across the street, so it was a very convenient location for us.

The hotel has a great deal of charm. It is a converted dormitory from the seminary that is still next door. That gives the rooms tons of character, with all the old architectural features. We had a deluxe room on the back of the hotel, which was overlooking a grassy courtyard between the hotel and seminary. That helped us avoid the sound of traffic you would get on the front.

There isn't a reception desk in the lobby. There is instead a nice coffee place. You are checked in by a staff member with an ipad.

There are plenty of cool places to eat in the area.

In short, if you are looking to see the High Line, or the galleries of Chelsea then this is a fun, funky place to stay. We'll be back.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back overlook a courtyard, and are more quiet
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
NicolasDaeppen, General Manager at The High Line Hotel, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Thank you for choosing the High Line Hotel on your recent visit. We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in New York. Your feedback is very important to our efforts for continuously improving guest satisfaction. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.
bawlmer
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Really nice rooms and a fantastic staff.They bent over backwards to accomidate us.Great area,and the walk on the High Line is cool.My only complaints are ,our room for some reason had a automatic faucet in the sink, which was weird.If you showered then brushed your teeth, you were using hot water.My other complaint was the lobby noise, we were on the first floor, and it was really noisy late at night and in the morning, so book a higher room.The room was spacious and the bed was fantastic.All in all a great place to stay for the $$$

dano

Room Tip: Stay off the first floor !!!!!!
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
NicolasDaeppen, General Manager at The High Line Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you for choosing the High Line Hotel on your recent visit. We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in New York. I've shared your comments with all of our staff and also we appreciate your feedback regarding your room.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed at the High Line Hotel at the end of October 2014. The hotel is clean, the staff is great and it's full of history. The only downside for us was the noise. Since it is an old hotel, the windows are not well isolated so we could hear the noise from the street plus it was cold.
Beautiful but expensive!

Stayed October 2014
I had a chance to review the survey that you recently completed, and I was proud to read the notes you left about our staff. Your feedback is very important to our efforts for continuously improving guest satisfaction. We strive to do the best job we can and comments like yours are greatly appreciated.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This hotel is in a fantastic part of NYC, near Chelsea, the High Line and the West Village. The rooms are beautiful, cozy and very aesthetically pleasing. All of the staff were incredibly friendly, as were the other travelers. The type of people that this hotel attracts will make you want to spend hours sitting in the lobby chatting everyone up!

The coffee shop is outstanding; definitely the most freshly brewed cup of coffee I have had in a while. I love the look of the entire hotel. Very boutique and not like any hotel I had ever seen.

The view from the room was of the hustling and bustling street, however it was extremely quiet at night and very easy to fall asleep. The shower was very nice, as was the bathroom. I loved the look and feel of the room and was dying to stay longer. Free wifi and free domestic and international calls- always a bonus.

The small hotel experience makes the stay very unique and quaint; the service is always quick due to the small number of people staying there.
Everything was better than expected and I am looking forward to staying there again!

Room Tip: Had a room right on the street corner on the second floor with no issues with street noise or sound...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing the High Line Hotel on your recent visit. We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in New York. I've shared your comments with all of our staff and I know they are motivated by feedback like yours. We look forward to your return when you are in the area again.
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Now if only we could add efficiency. We arrived at 2pm, granted slightly before check in, and were told rooms would be ready in 20 minutes. Fine, we went to have lunch. Returned an hour later to hear, rooms would be ready in twenty minutes. Left again to go shopping. Returned at 5pm and yes, told the rooms would be ready in twenty minutes. It's now after 6pm,this is a one night stay and special treat for our daughters for the holidays and we're now piled into one available room to get ready for our dinner. The attitude about the whole deal is indifferent and 'what's the big deal' . We were given a brunch voucher, sadly we won't be able to use it.

• Stayed December 2014
Thank you for choosing the High Line Hotel on your recent visit. I had a chance to review the survey that you recently completed. I was concerned to hear about your experience with our hotel. We strive to accommodate all of our guests and their needs, and I was disappointed to hear about the problems you encountered. I know that does not change your experience but I hope that you can feel confident that we heard your concern and are definitely doing something about it.
Long Island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Great building, very nice interesting rooms. Convenient location for Chelsea and west village. Easy access to the high line park and Hudson River views . Two problems the hotel as yet yo resolve - no food service except and overpriced yuppy coffee stand and very quirky, slow and clumsy check in process. In particular the slow checking system is really bad in a city that prides itself on speed and efficiency. The lack of a good restaurant is annoying but we hope this will improve in the future . There really is no lobby, just a space with a few benches, a chair and standup overpriced not very good coffee. There are other choices in the neighborhood.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
I had a chance to review the survey that you recently completed. I was concerned to hear about your experience with our hotel and certainly want to apologize for the less than satisfactory check in. I know that does not change your experience but I hope that you can feel confident that we heard your concern and are definitely doing something about it. I apologize again for the problems, and thank you for taking the time to let me know about it. Without your guest feedback we cannot continue to improve our services. We look forward to your return to the area.

Been to The High Line Hotel? Share your experiences!