“Appearances aren't everything” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The High Line Hotel

Save Saved
You added The High Line Hotel to your Saves list
The High Line Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   180 Tenth Avenue, at 20th Street, New York City, NY 10011 (Chelsea)   |
Ranked #311 of 452 hotels in New York City
Western Ireland, Ireland
“Appearances aren't everything”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

First the positives: this place doesn't follow the boring design formula beloved of the hotel chains; the interior reflects the previous history of the building and to say that the place has character would be an understatement.
It's location is another positive, particularly if you are not averse to walking; some good dining options very close by which compensates for the lack of an on-site restaurant.
Where things came badly unstuck for us on a recent four night stay was with the level of service. The absence of a reception desk made dealing with staff while standing in the foyer quite awkward - particularly as it never seemed quite clear as to who exactly was in charge of operations. A person who is indentifiable as the manager would be a useful feature as we had little success dealing with a problem that arose.
On arrival we were assigned a room which could be best described as "compact", lacking any facility to hang clothes - possibly not a major issue if one was staying for a single night but four nights.....? We were initially assured that, due to the hotel being fully booked on our first night, we could not be reassigned a larger room until the next day. Upon checking the next morning, the story remained the same - hotel still fully booked, nothing could be done for us. So there the matter rested and we remained in what was cheekily named Room 36 and a half for our full stay.
What proved to be the most frustrating aspect was the failure of somebody to present themselves as management and explain why the problem could not be dealt with.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

96 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Key Biscayne, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I specifically booked this hotel for a reunion. We flew in from various locations to meet. Hotel was booked 2 weeks in advance and eight minutes before check in our reservation was cancelled! Manager on location had zero people skills and offered no help or explanation. Upon returning home I called the General Manager and demanded an explanation. He promised to get back . Two emails were sent no reply and no phone call. Three weeks later still no answer!
Do yourself a favor stay somewhere else!!

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed at the Highline for one night on August 11th. From the moment we arrived we were blown away. Our room was upgraded to the Highline Suite because it was my birthday, and it was an awesome surprise. The hotel's history is amazing and the staff and excellent. The beds were excellent and the hotel soaps and lotions smell amazing. Whether you sit in the cozy courtyard for wine at night or coffee in the morning-its always quiet and relaxing. The location is excellent as well. Steps away from excellent restaraunts and the highline itself. Chelsea Market is nearby and a must see. This was an amazing hotel from start to finish.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
NicolasDaeppen, General Manager at The High Line Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
We are glad our staff made your birthday memorable and looking forward to your return at the Highline.
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Great experience staying in this old, beautiful, renovated building. Very convenient to many activities. High Line across the street. You can find everything you want within walking distance. Staff was out of this world. Look forward to staying here again. Steve. Atlanta.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This is a very beautiful boutique hotel, very comfy bed, very clean. The room is spacious and beautifully decorated; not like other big name chain hotels, very unique. We stayed in many 4 star hotels in NYC, this one we love the most. The location is nice too, just cross street from High Line park. Highly recommend.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
NicolasDaeppen, Guest Relations Manager at The High Line Hotel, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Thank you for choosing the Highline Hotel on your recent visit. We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in New York.
Guildford, surrey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This is uber trendy and in a great location. However, it is unusual to find a hotel without a restaurant even for breakfast. If all the rooms were like my room they are tiny and I have never had a room without a cupboard in which to hang my clothes. Although there was no cupboard the whole place is stuffed with fairly second rate quasi antiques and distressed carpets.
Not worth it.

Room Tip: book a different hotel
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
NicolasDaeppen, General Manager at The High Line Hotel, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
I had a chance to review your comment and I was concerned to hear about your experience with our hotel. We strive to accommodate all of our guests and their needs.

Our Intelligentsia Coffee Bar located in our lobby is open every morning and we as well have a relationship with Cookshop restaurant, which is right on the corner and offer an extensive breakfast selection. I know that does not change your experience but I hope that you can feel confident that we heard your concern and are definitely doing something about it.

I apologize again for the problems, and thank you for taking the time to let me know about it. Without your guest feedback we cannot continue to improve our services. We look forward to your return to the area.
atrevidanyc
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Evening of July 4th through July 6th, very important days for us. We arrived at the hotel, and everyone was absolutely amazing. They greeted us with kindness and offered to assist us any way possible. We stepped away to chelsea market was fascinating, and it was my first time. Great experience. As we came back from the market and arrived at the hotel to get ready to step out for dinner. We noticed the air conditioner wasn't working very well. So we called room service and had someone assist us right away. They were not able to get it working so they moved us to another room right above ours. Packed all of our things and headed to our new room immediately. I looked like a crazy woman with my wedding dress shoes, etc. At this point I was a bit furious since I was trying to keep a little bit of a tradition going and didn't want my husband to be to see my dress. Nonetheless we were in our new room now, took a deep breathe and moved on. Felt great, we got ready, and went to a marvelous dinner with our friends, and loved ones.

When we arrived back our room around 10p or so our room was still a bit warm-ish. We asked for a fan, and unfortunately the hotel didn't have one. We decided to leave things as they were and went to bed. Laid in bed, and felt something poking us, weird right? so we got up, and lifted the sheet that was on top of the feather quilt toper that was on top of the mattress. I didn't expect the bed to be made this way, didn't think anything crazy but was a little disappointed. We decided to remove the feather topper, and and just leave the sheet on top of the mattress. Started folding the feather topper when we came across a stain of blood which was very visible. Such a disappointment. I know it happens, but gosh, not this, not the night before our wedding. Come on now!!

July 5th morning, our wedding day, woke up really early and stepped out for breakfast. We spoke to someone at the front desk regarding the room situation and the gal on staff advised that she would speak to her manager and have the manager call me as soon as they could. Got back to the room to get ready for our big day, and the staff brought up things to us as we called it in. No complaints. Our day went smooth. And we went on with our special wedding day.

As I write this, on Sunday, August 10th I realize that I still have not yet received a call from this so called manager. It's the little things in life that make a difference. Not sure if this person is busy, whatever it is/was, this was our wedding day. Not a regular stay at a hotel, but a special day that people should sympathise with especially since it's such a sacred and special day. I hear of stories all the time, and well I just thought that at least the hotel part would be at it's best with these little things, and the wedding part would be a little crazy because things happen. We decided to stay here because I had a great experience when I attended our last Christmas party that was held here. If it wasn't because the staff, we would've checked out that same night!

I have to say that I'm the easy person to please in life, it's the little things that make my day. I was proud to say that I was not your typical bride at all, not a bridezilla, but am proud to tell you our side of the story. Our special day!

I hope the manager at this location gets it together. Make sure your beds are made correctly and the air conditioner is working well. As for the staff, they are all amazing and I'm glad you got that part right! You're on the right path, work on everything else!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

I had a chance to review the survey that you recently completed. I was concerned to hear about your experience with our hotel. We strive to accommodate all of our guests and their needs, and I was disappointed to hear about the problems you encountered. I know that does not change your experience but I hope that you can feel confident that we heard your concern and are definitely doing something about it.

Please send me your contact information at ndaeppen@thehighlinehotel.com, so I can personally contact you.

Been to The High Line Hotel? Share your experiences!