“Convention” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The High Line Hotel

Save Saved
You added The High Line Hotel to your Saves list
The High Line Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   180 Tenth Avenue, at 20th Street, New York City, NY 10011 (Chelsea)   |
Ranked #301 of 451 hotels in New York City
Trenton, New Jersey
“Convention”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I was here for the Cherry Bombe Jubliee in the end of March. It was a perfect location for the convention and I loved the fact that it was originally a monastery . The staff was helpful and polite as we navigated the grounds. The main hall was beautiful with its high ceilings and stain glass windows. Though I didn't stay in one of the rooms, they did look very nice from the website.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

83 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Really enjoyed this hotel, it's quite quirky and I think feels more like a high end guest house.

It was at full occupancy when I stayed but yet was really peaceful and quiet with a lovely air of calm.

There’s no reception desk as such, staff meet you with an iPad to check you in. When I was there at Easter, there was no restaurant but I believe they have since opened one. There’s a coffee shop on the ground floor with very elaborate coffee and tea making techniques and the most amazing hot chocolate!

Stayed in a suite and the bed was possibly one of the most comfortable I’ve ever slept in. The bathroom was huge (by NY standards), deep bath with overhead shower, lovely toiletries. I really loved the fact that I could open the sash windows.

I wasn’t crazy about the seats in the seating area of the room – quirky, but not very comfortable!

I found the staff really helpful and friendly and the location was great.

I note some reviews here about the noise from 10th Avenue. I faced the back of the hotel, overlooking a playground so it was really quiet.

Would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: My suite faced the back, a children's playground, and was really quiet.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Allentown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I travel to New York quite frequently, but usually stay in Times Square. I generally don’t write a review for my stays in Manhattan, since I usually stay at a Hilton property and reviewed them in the past. I wanted to share my experience at the High Line Hotel because it was someplace new, I had not stayed before. My company contacted me for an unexpected trip to the Chelsea area. The High Line Hotel was available so I booked a two night stay. I have never been to the Chelsea area so I didn't know what to expect. From the moment I arrived to the time (unfortunately) had departed I felt as if I was at home. The hotel was AMAZING, the Hotel Associates, friendly and went out of their way to assist. I arrived early on a Wednesday and they graciously held my luggage until I returned late in the day. Upon returning I enjoyed an evening cocktail at their champagne bar, I think it was called Champagne Charlie’s. They had a nice menu, but I did not have anything to eat, although I overheard several people complimenting the server on how good their meal was. While checking in the General Manager, Pablo greeted me with a welcoming smile which added to the overall experience. (You could tell he genuinely and enthusiastically wanted to make my experience a pleasant one) The room was more than I expected for a boutique hotel. Rooms were very clean and appointed nicely. The only problem I experienced with the room is that my company had to check in on me the next morning, the beds were so, so comfortable that I didn’t want to get out of it. The next two days were all work so I didn’t really get to experience much more of the hotel or the surrounding area, but next time I go to NY I will be going with my wife and friends, making sure we stay at the High Line Hotel. The High Line is located across the street from the “High Line” from what I understand it is a walking path that sits about 4 or so stories above the street and runs for about a mile or so? Also, parking is right across the street and the hotel is very convenient to many great restaurants.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

This is a perfect blend of beautifully design (may not fit everyone's taste), great hospitality and comfort. The hotel is small in term of number of rooms which makes it a very unique experience and personable. The hotel was converted from the seminary dormitories. It has an old world charms with modern touches- amazing coffee bar at the lobby! It's a block away from the High Line and in Chelsea and not far from Meat Packing District. The location is perfect. However, the10th Ave is quite busy. The check is is fairly straight forward. The check in staff made an offer for larger room if we wait which was a great suggestion. The room 57 is quite large (comparing to other NYC hotels), the bed was very comfortable and it's on the back of the building so we didn't hear any traffic noise from the 10th Ave. (thank you to the staff for making this offering!) Though, there was no "closet" we were provided with open rack for our clothes and trunk by the bed. The bathroom is quite nice. The waster pressure and the toiletries quality were quite good. We had a wonderful time staying there and it's a perfect place to come back each night after a day excursion in the city.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
TheHighLineHotel, General Manager at The High Line Hotel, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear CaneIntp,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your recent experience with us. I am very pleased that you had a wonderful stay with us at The High Line Hotel. I hope to welcome you back to our little gem in the big city soon!

Western Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We selected this hotel because the location was ideal for us and our plans for the weekend.

On the good side, the beds were comfortable, the rooms we had were spacious, the staff was friendly and helpful, and the location is perfect for us.

Now to the issues. We arrived on Friday afternoon and were placed in room 13, on the first floor facing the front. Sound did not seem to be a problem, even though there was traffic on 10th Avenue and the restaurant was right outside our window. What was clearly a problem was not discernible until we returned to the room after dark. Even though the curtains are heavy and kept out the direct light, the lights bathing the front of the building are UP lights, and hence shown through the space between the top of the curtains and the wall, lighting up the whole ceiling. They were so bright, it was almost daylight, and we were unable to sleep.
The next morning we asked to change rooms and our request was readily granted - to another room on the other side of the lobby, again on the first floor, but this time facing the back. The light was nowhere near as bad. But, in this room we were able to hear the conversations going on in the lobby and we did not have cold water in the sink. It would run cold for just a few seconds when we first turned the faucet on, but would then get hot, even after we let it run for many seconds. We reported this and they had the maintenance person look at it, but it did not seem to be fixed.
One other thing I found a bit frustrating was that the chairs and "love seats" in the rooms were, I felt, extremely uncomfortable. So there was really no comfortable place to sit except the bed.

All of that being said, I would like to try this hotel again to give it another chance. We will be sure to ask for a room on a higher floor and facing the back.

Room Tip: If you have trouble sleeping with light, make sure to ask for a room in the rear without lights that...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear herbowitz,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your recent experience with us. I would like to extend my apologies for the issues you experienced during your stay at The High Line Hotel. Please contact me directly so we may discuss your stay further. I can be contacted at GM@thehighlinehotel.com.

Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Stay only one night but had a very nice experience. Lovely room with antique furnishings (old rotary phone, school desk, crank pencil sharpener.) Bed was comfortable and bathroom with old fashion black and white tiles. We had a garden facing room - which was quiet even with the window opened. Convenient for a walk on the High Line, Chelsea Market, and good restaurant selection. Hotel has Intelligentsia coffee in the lobby and outdoor garden, great for those coffee snobs. No restaurant or food service.

Room Tip: Garden facing room is quiet.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Ruth L,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your recent experience with us. I am pleased you enjoyed your room and its very unique features. I hope to welcome you back soon so you may enjoy our new seasonal outdoor restaurant, Champagne Charlie's, located in our front garden.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We spent two nights here and were very pleased with this gem. The building was originally part of a seminary, so it is made up of small rooms. We had a lovely room that had windows that opened up to the yard of the seminary. We had a big tree outside the window as well, which was lovely. The bed was very comfortable, with a down topper. The bathroom was not large, but suited us just fine. I really appreciated the furniture, which was unconventional and not standard hotel fare. The fully stocked mini bar with snacks was reasonably priced. We knew that there was no food service, but the coffee bar was fine for our needs. There are plenty of dining options all around this neighborhood. It's a pet friendly hotel, so it was nice to see people relaxing outside, enjoying their coffee with their dogs next to them. The staff was warm and easy. It was a treat to stay here.

Room Tip: The higher floors facing the inside of the yard were quiet - minimal street noise.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
TheHighLineHotel, General Manager at The High Line Hotel, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear kbernh,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your recent experience with us. I am pleased that you enjoyed our very unique rooms in our little gem in the big city. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Pablo Migoya

Been to The High Line Hotel? Share your experiences!