“Stylish hotel in Chelsea” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The High Line Hotel

Save Saved
You added The High Line Hotel to your Saves list
The High Line Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   180 Tenth Avenue, at 20th Street, New York City, NY 10011 (Chelsea)   |
Ranked #308 of 453 Hotels in New York City
London, United Kingdom
“Stylish hotel in Chelsea”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

Stayed in the High Line Hotel for 8 nights in the middle of May - first time in this hotel but second time in Chelsea. The hotel can best be described as "boutique" and I thought it rather lovely. There isn't a lobby as such; the check in staff operate from a small desk via iPads within the Intelligentsia coffee bar - great coffee and tea was to be had here and indoor and outdoor seating was available.

The rooms were quirky, individual and interesting: mine was on the 5th floor and had two dormer windows; a largish bathroom with an excellent shower; a huge bed with a feather mattress topper and the best hotel pillows I have ever slept on; a fully stocked mini bar; air conditioning; and lovely old furniture. The only downsides were that the room faced 10th Avenue which was very busy all the time (there was also construction going on across the road which was obviously not in the hotel's control) and there was no wardrobe. However there was a small cupboard with a drawer and shelves and I used the coat hangers from the bathrobes so managed OK. I had some problems with the light in my room but the staff were very helpful and sent the maintenance man up to sort things out. Most of the guests seemed to be youngish which gave the hotel a "trendy" feel.

The location was great as an entrance to the High Line was located opposite across 10th Avenue. 10-12 minutes walk will get you to a subway entrance and there are loads of excellent restaurants on 9th and 10th Avenues. The Chelsea Piers are a 10 minute walk away and using the High Line one can walk down to Greenwich Village and on to Soho. The Chelsea area is leafy, clean and quieter than Midtown and seems to be family orientated which makes it a perfect area for strolling rather than rushing!

I loved the High Line Hotel and won't hesitate to stay there again when visiting New York.

Room Tip: A room facing over the garden at the rear would be quieter.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
TheHighLineHotel, General Manager at The High Line Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Dear Steph6058,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your recent experience with us. I am very pleased that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay with us. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Pablo Migoya

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

Hits the mark on the boutique hotel experience. Excellent rooms. Large for NYC and clubby chic works well. Lacks depth of service given no on premise restaurant - although excellent coffee. Some hiccups with room availability didn't tarnish the experience. Location is a little out there but for galleries and the awesome High Line walkway it is ideal. Overall it's a winner.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
TheHighLineHotel, General Manager at The High Line Hotel, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Dear SYZN,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your recent experience with us at THE HIGH LINE HOTEL. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your room, and I will be taking corrective action to improve our service. We hope to welcome you back to THE HIGH LINE HOTEL in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

Having read some of the reviews I was a little apprehensive about staying here but thankfully our experience was very good. The lobby and rooms are beautifully styled - quirky and cosy and very well equipped - and the bed was the best I've ever slept in. We had a deluxe King room on the 3rd floor, facing on to the courtyard. It was so peaceful - our only interruption were the birds singing outside the window! It's in a lovely location with the big draw obviously being the High LIne, just over the road and just a short walk from the MeatPacking District and the West Village. The little courtyard out back and the patio in front are great spots to enoy a coffee and watch the world go by. The staff were lovely - laidback, friendly and helpful. I'd definitely stay here again - and hope I'll be back before too long.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the courtyard if you like peace and quiet.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Anna B,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your recent experience with us at THE HIGH LINE HOTEL. I am pleased that you had a wonderful stay with us in one of our courtyard view rooms. I will certainly share your kind words with the team. Thank you for choosing the THE HIGH LINE HOTEL and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

The High Line is within a few steps from the hotel entrance. Located in a good neighborhood, the High Line Hotel has a young clientele. We were in town for a family wedding and were definitely the oldest couple there. Lots of local couples with small kids in strollers stopping for coffee on Saturday morning. Beautiful courtyard in the middle of this old monastery. The some of the furniture in the rooms looks like it was original but the beds are new and comfortable. Rooms are clean but do not have makeup mirrors and bathrooms are not well-lit. But the staff is young and terrific. I will stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014
Dear GEMFlorida,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your recent experience at THE HIGH LINE HOTEL. I am pleased that you had an enjoyable stay with us, and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

We booked a room here within 48 hours of travel due to a reduced rate on Expedia for $265. This rate gets you a basement or lobby level room with a king bed. The room was nice but someone left the window open and we were slapping at Mosquitos most of the night. Also the room is directly across from the coffee bar, so it can be loud. With that said, you get what you pay for. The other nit, which has nothing to do with the rate is the auto sensor on the bathroom sink. I'm all for water conservation, but this is just silly because it's shuts off too quick. With that we will try this hotel next time at the regular rate because we like the style and it's a great location.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear C_and_MH,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your recent experience at THE HIGH LINE HOTEL. I apologize for the issues you experienced in your room, but know that I have taken corrective action to ensure that other guests do not have a similar experience to yours. We look forward to welcoming you back to THE HIGH LINE HOTEL in the near future.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

I had booked a room here through hotels.com for a quick staycation for my husband's 30th birthday (we're from northern New Jersey). It was a little on the expensive side, but actually not that much more than some much-less-nice places nearby.

The check-in process was quick and easy, and the girl at the desk gave us a Superior King room (described as "one of the best rooms in the hotel") even though we had registered for a Standard King. Points right off the bat! Our room was on the fifth floor, which meant we were under the eaves, and it was spacious, homey, beautifully and tastefully decorated with antiques and extremely clean. In fact, we joked that if it had even a small kitchen, we could have lived there forever! We had a view of the High Line park across the street.

The location was convenient - we were attending Sleep No More, which is nearby, and had dinner planned at a restaurant close by as well. It was a great chance to stay in an area of the city other than the usual touristy neighborhoods.

The room had so many small details that really added up to make it special. The decorative accents were clearly carefully chosen, and one of the coolest little things was that each room seemed to have a different embosser screwed into the desktop. It worked (I embossed a piece of their stationery just to try it out!) and once I saw it I realized that the patterns on the coasters and the pattern engraved in the door of our room also matched it. The rooms on either side had different designs on the door, so I assume they had different accents. A small thing, but the sign of a place that truly takes care to make every little detail special for its guests.

The bed was huge and extremely comfortable - like floating on air. We slept like babies! We didn't sample from the mini-bar, but it was incredibly well stocked, and I was tempted by the Haribo gummy bears (my faves!).

My one tiny complaint is that the tub in the bathroom could have drained a little bit better - but the tub and whole bathroom were so clean that it really wasn't even gross the way it normally would be.

Overall, we were just thrilled with our stay, and wished we could have stayed longer. We highly recommend for travelers including couples like us!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on an upper floor - the views are great and presumably it's quieter away from the...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
TheHighLineHotel, General Manager at The High Line Hotel, responded to this review, May 25, 2014
Dear KGBenn1,

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience with us at THE HIGH LINE HOTELl. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our staff was able to make it that much more enjoyable. I am glad everything was near perfection and I will ensure that the drains are double checked. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Somerville, MA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

The former Desmond Tutu Center was my favorite place to stay for business travel to NY (beautiful building, great location) but I have never had such a frustrating customer service experience as with the new High Line Hotel (between overbooking and months of billing mistakes) and will probably never stay there again.

After calling the billing department at least 15 times (they never respond to email), I finally had to take a dispute to my credit card company. Despite each employee being polite and always agreeing with me over months of interactions, the hotel has never followed through correctly and I have spent far too much time trying to troubleshoot their mistakes.

Before my stay, I called to let the hotel know I would be checking in late due to a funeral. When I arrived exhausted at midnight, my pre-paid room had been overbooked and I had to stay in a tiny room without a closet. The front desk assured me I would be discounted for the downgrade but on the last day I was billed the original amount.

I asked for an updated invoice as I checked out and paid all mini-bar charges separately on my personal credit card. The front desk had a line of people waiting and asked if they could re-bill me by email. The new invoice still overcharged for the room, plus added a duplicate mini-bar charge (charging me once on my work account and once on my personal card for the same amount).

What followed next was months of painful back-and-forth and six revised invoices, finally ending with credits for all incorrect charges but also adding a new mystery charge on my work account months after my stay. I contested that too but after no credit appeared for the new charge, I had to contest it with my credit card company. Had this been my personal card, I would have rather paid money I didn't owe than waste any more time but with a work account, I was not willing to file a new expense report to explain an unknown charge.

Based on my experience and looking at other reviews on TripAdvisor, High Line Hotel's terrible customer service and billing are not an isolated incident. If they could address this problem, it could still be a great hotel, but that seems like it would take a major shift in their operations and culture. CAVEAT EMPTOR.

Room Tip: Avoid room 57 and a half (or similar rooms with 1/2 in the number); they have no closet!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear EmilyA,

I am terribly sorry to hear your stay was not up to our standards, I will be sharing your feedback with our team to investigate exactly why your issue was not resolved in a timely manner and to ensure that such incidents do not affect guests moving forward. I would like to further discuss your feedback. Please contact me at pmigoya@thehighlinehotel.com at your convenience.

Pablo Migoya

Been to The High Line Hotel? Share your experiences!