“Better boutique option than most others.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The High Line Hotel

You added The High Line Hotel to your Saves list
The High Line Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   180 Tenth Avenue, at 20th Street, New York City, NY 10011 (Chelsea)   |
Ranked #222 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Sydney, Australia
“Better boutique option than most others.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

Hits the mark on the boutique hotel experience. Excellent rooms. Large for NYC and clubby chic works well. Lacks depth of service given no on premise restaurant - although excellent coffee. Some hiccups with room availability didn't tarnish the experience. Location is a little out there but for galleries and the awesome High Line walkway it is ideal. Overall it's a winner.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
TheHighLineHotel, General Manager at The High Line Hotel, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Dear SYZN,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your recent experience with us at THE HIGH LINE HOTEL. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your room, and I will be taking corrective action to improve our service. We hope to welcome you back to THE HIGH LINE HOTEL in the near future.

Pablo Migoya

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

Having read some of the reviews I was a little apprehensive about staying here but thankfully our experience was very good. The lobby and rooms are beautifully styled - quirky and cosy and very well equipped - and the bed was the best I've ever slept in. We had a deluxe King room on the 3rd floor, facing on to the courtyard. It was so peaceful - our only interruption were the birds singing outside the window! It's in a lovely location with the big draw obviously being the High LIne, just over the road and just a short walk from the MeatPacking District and the West Village. The little courtyard out back and the patio in front are great spots to enoy a coffee and watch the world go by. The staff were lovely - laidback, friendly and helpful. I'd definitely stay here again - and hope I'll be back before too long.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the courtyard if you like peace and quiet.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Anna B,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your recent experience with us at THE HIGH LINE HOTEL. I am pleased that you had a wonderful stay with us in one of our courtyard view rooms. I will certainly share your kind words with the team. Thank you for choosing the THE HIGH LINE HOTEL and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

The High Line is within a few steps from the hotel entrance. Located in a good neighborhood, the High Line Hotel has a young clientele. We were in town for a family wedding and were definitely the oldest couple there. Lots of local couples with small kids in strollers stopping for coffee on Saturday morning. Beautiful courtyard in the middle of this old monastery. The some of the furniture in the rooms looks like it was original but the beds are new and comfortable. Rooms are clean but do not have makeup mirrors and bathrooms are not well-lit. But the staff is young and terrific. I will stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014
Dear GEMFlorida,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your recent experience at THE HIGH LINE HOTEL. I am pleased that you had an enjoyable stay with us, and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

We booked a room here within 48 hours of travel due to a reduced rate on Expedia for $265. This rate gets you a basement or lobby level room with a king bed. The room was nice but someone left the window open and we were slapping at Mosquitos most of the night. Also the room is directly across from the coffee bar, so it can be loud. With that said, you get what you pay for. The other nit, which has nothing to do with the rate is the auto sensor on the bathroom sink. I'm all for water conservation, but this is just silly because it's shuts off too quick. With that we will try this hotel next time at the regular rate because we like the style and it's a great location.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear C_and_MH,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your recent experience at THE HIGH LINE HOTEL. I apologize for the issues you experienced in your room, but know that I have taken corrective action to ensure that other guests do not have a similar experience to yours. We look forward to welcoming you back to THE HIGH LINE HOTEL in the near future.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

I had booked a room here through hotels.com for a quick staycation for my husband's 30th birthday (we're from northern New Jersey). It was a little on the expensive side, but actually not that much more than some much-less-nice places nearby.

The check-in process was quick and easy, and the girl at the desk gave us a Superior King room (described as "one of the best rooms in the hotel") even though we had registered for a Standard King. Points right off the bat! Our room was on the fifth floor, which meant we were under the eaves, and it was spacious, homey, beautifully and tastefully decorated with antiques and extremely clean. In fact, we joked that if it had even a small kitchen, we could have lived there forever! We had a view of the High Line park across the street.

The location was convenient - we were attending Sleep No More, which is nearby, and had dinner planned at a restaurant close by as well. It was a great chance to stay in an area of the city other than the usual touristy neighborhoods.

The room had so many small details that really added up to make it special. The decorative accents were clearly carefully chosen, and one of the coolest little things was that each room seemed to have a different embosser screwed into the desktop. It worked (I embossed a piece of their stationery just to try it out!) and once I saw it I realized that the patterns on the coasters and the pattern engraved in the door of our room also matched it. The rooms on either side had different designs on the door, so I assume they had different accents. A small thing, but the sign of a place that truly takes care to make every little detail special for its guests.

The bed was huge and extremely comfortable - like floating on air. We slept like babies! We didn't sample from the mini-bar, but it was incredibly well stocked, and I was tempted by the Haribo gummy bears (my faves!).

My one tiny complaint is that the tub in the bathroom could have drained a little bit better - but the tub and whole bathroom were so clean that it really wasn't even gross the way it normally would be.

Overall, we were just thrilled with our stay, and wished we could have stayed longer. We highly recommend for travelers including couples like us!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on an upper floor - the views are great and presumably it's quieter away from the...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
TheHighLineHotel, General Manager at The High Line Hotel, responded to this review, May 25, 2014
Dear KGBenn1,

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience with us at THE HIGH LINE HOTELl. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our staff was able to make it that much more enjoyable. I am glad everything was near perfection and I will ensure that the drains are double checked. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Somerville, MA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

The former Desmond Tutu Center was my favorite place to stay for business travel to NY (beautiful building, great location) but I have never had such a frustrating customer service experience as with the new High Line Hotel (between overbooking and months of billing mistakes) and will probably never stay there again.

After calling the billing department at least 15 times (they never respond to email), I finally had to take a dispute to my credit card company. Despite each employee being polite and always agreeing with me over months of interactions, the hotel has never followed through correctly and I have spent far too much time trying to troubleshoot their mistakes.

Before my stay, I called to let the hotel know I would be checking in late due to a funeral. When I arrived exhausted at midnight, my pre-paid room had been overbooked and I had to stay in a tiny room without a closet. The front desk assured me I would be discounted for the downgrade but on the last day I was billed the original amount.

I asked for an updated invoice as I checked out and paid all mini-bar charges separately on my personal credit card. The front desk had a line of people waiting and asked if they could re-bill me by email. The new invoice still overcharged for the room, plus added a duplicate mini-bar charge (charging me once on my work account and once on my personal card for the same amount).

What followed next was months of painful back-and-forth and six revised invoices, finally ending with credits for all incorrect charges but also adding a new mystery charge on my work account months after my stay. I contested that too but after no credit appeared for the new charge, I had to contest it with my credit card company. Had this been my personal card, I would have rather paid money I didn't owe than waste any more time but with a work account, I was not willing to file a new expense report to explain an unknown charge.

Based on my experience and looking at other reviews on TripAdvisor, High Line Hotel's terrible customer service and billing are not an isolated incident. If they could address this problem, it could still be a great hotel, but that seems like it would take a major shift in their operations and culture. CAVEAT EMPTOR.

Room Tip: Avoid room 57 and a half (or similar rooms with 1/2 in the number); they have no closet!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear EmilyA,

I am terribly sorry to hear your stay was not up to our standards, I will be sharing your feedback with our team to investigate exactly why your issue was not resolved in a timely manner and to ensure that such incidents do not affect guests moving forward. I would like to further discuss your feedback. Please contact me at pmigoya@thehighlinehotel.com at your convenience.

Adelaide, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

This hotel has it's positives. The building is historically interesting and the renovation is well done. The rooms are lovely and spacious and the beds are delightfully comfortable. The location is interesting (more so for those who have been to Manhattan before); it's a funky area close to the High Line and Chelsea Market. The staff are friendly. However the hotel is disappointing on several levels; the young staff are friendly but a bit directionless. I was kept waiting over an hour for my room (post check in time) and heard a couple of people complain about things (quite validly I thought), only to be given the phone number of the manager!! There is no room service or restaurant at the hotel and the public space is very limited. The daily room servicing was a touch sloppy...dirty glasses not cleared away, towels not replaced, no supplements in bathroom like shower cap, cotton buds etc. However I wouldn't post a negative review based on these relatively trivial complaints. What really upset me was arriving home on my first night there to be greeted by loud music and bright lights streaming in to my room at 10.45 pm. There was a function in the courtyard. I rang to enquire how much longer it was to go on and was told it would be over at 11. When I called back an hour later to complain about the ongoing noise I was offered the email of the manager so I "could reach out with my concerns"! I suggested someone might reach out to me....and despite the nice young desk boy's efforts, needless to say that never happened. I was reassured the next evening by the same chap that there were no functions that evening....so if you value a bit of peace and quiet when you try to sleep, this, for a not insignificant tariff, is not the hotel for you,

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear Michelle255093,

I am terribly sorry to hear your stay was not up to our standards, I will be sharing your feedback with our team to ensure that such incidents do not affect guests moving forward. I also would like you to contact me directly regarding your experience. I can be contacted at pmigoya@thehighlinehotel.com. I look forward to hearing from you.

Pablo Migoya

Been to The High Line Hotel? Share your experiences!