“Beautiful, luxurious and peaceful” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The High Line Hotel

You added The High Line Hotel to your Saves list
The High Line Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   180 Tenth Avenue, at 20th Street, New York City, NY 10011 (Chelsea)   |
Ranked #275 of 458 Hotels in New York City
New York City, New York
“Beautiful, luxurious and peaceful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

I had booked a room here through hotels.com for a quick staycation for my husband's 30th birthday (we're from northern New Jersey). It was a little on the expensive side, but actually not that much more than some much-less-nice places nearby.

The check-in process was quick and easy, and the girl at the desk gave us a Superior King room (described as "one of the best rooms in the hotel") even though we had registered for a Standard King. Points right off the bat! Our room was on the fifth floor, which meant we were under the eaves, and it was spacious, homey, beautifully and tastefully decorated with antiques and extremely clean. In fact, we joked that if it had even a small kitchen, we could have lived there forever! We had a view of the High Line park across the street.

The location was convenient - we were attending Sleep No More, which is nearby, and had dinner planned at a restaurant close by as well. It was a great chance to stay in an area of the city other than the usual touristy neighborhoods.

The room had so many small details that really added up to make it special. The decorative accents were clearly carefully chosen, and one of the coolest little things was that each room seemed to have a different embosser screwed into the desktop. It worked (I embossed a piece of their stationery just to try it out!) and once I saw it I realized that the patterns on the coasters and the pattern engraved in the door of our room also matched it. The rooms on either side had different designs on the door, so I assume they had different accents. A small thing, but the sign of a place that truly takes care to make every little detail special for its guests.

The bed was huge and extremely comfortable - like floating on air. We slept like babies! We didn't sample from the mini-bar, but it was incredibly well stocked, and I was tempted by the Haribo gummy bears (my faves!).

My one tiny complaint is that the tub in the bathroom could have drained a little bit better - but the tub and whole bathroom were so clean that it really wasn't even gross the way it normally would be.

Overall, we were just thrilled with our stay, and wished we could have stayed longer. We highly recommend for travelers including couples like us!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on an upper floor - the views are great and presumably it's quieter away from the...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
TheHighLineHotel, General Manager at The High Line Hotel, responded to this review, May 25, 2014
Dear KGBenn1,

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience with us at THE HIGH LINE HOTELl. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our staff was able to make it that much more enjoyable. I am glad everything was near perfection and I will ensure that the drains are double checked. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Pablo Migoya

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Somerville, MA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

The former Desmond Tutu Center was my favorite place to stay for business travel to NY (beautiful building, great location) but I have never had such a frustrating customer service experience as with the new High Line Hotel (between overbooking and months of billing mistakes) and will probably never stay there again.

After calling the billing department at least 15 times (they never respond to email), I finally had to take a dispute to my credit card company. Despite each employee being polite and always agreeing with me over months of interactions, the hotel has never followed through correctly and I have spent far too much time trying to troubleshoot their mistakes.

Before my stay, I called to let the hotel know I would be checking in late due to a funeral. When I arrived exhausted at midnight, my pre-paid room had been overbooked and I had to stay in a tiny room without a closet. The front desk assured me I would be discounted for the downgrade but on the last day I was billed the original amount.

I asked for an updated invoice as I checked out and paid all mini-bar charges separately on my personal credit card. The front desk had a line of people waiting and asked if they could re-bill me by email. The new invoice still overcharged for the room, plus added a duplicate mini-bar charge (charging me once on my work account and once on my personal card for the same amount).

What followed next was months of painful back-and-forth and six revised invoices, finally ending with credits for all incorrect charges but also adding a new mystery charge on my work account months after my stay. I contested that too but after no credit appeared for the new charge, I had to contest it with my credit card company. Had this been my personal card, I would have rather paid money I didn't owe than waste any more time but with a work account, I was not willing to file a new expense report to explain an unknown charge.

Based on my experience and looking at other reviews on TripAdvisor, High Line Hotel's terrible customer service and billing are not an isolated incident. If they could address this problem, it could still be a great hotel, but that seems like it would take a major shift in their operations and culture. CAVEAT EMPTOR.

Room Tip: Avoid room 57 and a half (or similar rooms with 1/2 in the number); they have no closet!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear EmilyA,

I am terribly sorry to hear your stay was not up to our standards, I will be sharing your feedback with our team to investigate exactly why your issue was not resolved in a timely manner and to ensure that such incidents do not affect guests moving forward. I would like to further discuss your feedback. Please contact me at pmigoya@thehighlinehotel.com at your convenience.

Adelaide, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

This hotel has it's positives. The building is historically interesting and the renovation is well done. The rooms are lovely and spacious and the beds are delightfully comfortable. The location is interesting (more so for those who have been to Manhattan before); it's a funky area close to the High Line and Chelsea Market. The staff are friendly. However the hotel is disappointing on several levels; the young staff are friendly but a bit directionless. I was kept waiting over an hour for my room (post check in time) and heard a couple of people complain about things (quite validly I thought), only to be given the phone number of the manager!! There is no room service or restaurant at the hotel and the public space is very limited. The daily room servicing was a touch sloppy...dirty glasses not cleared away, towels not replaced, no supplements in bathroom like shower cap, cotton buds etc. However I wouldn't post a negative review based on these relatively trivial complaints. What really upset me was arriving home on my first night there to be greeted by loud music and bright lights streaming in to my room at 10.45 pm. There was a function in the courtyard. I rang to enquire how much longer it was to go on and was told it would be over at 11. When I called back an hour later to complain about the ongoing noise I was offered the email of the manager so I "could reach out with my concerns"! I suggested someone might reach out to me....and despite the nice young desk boy's efforts, needless to say that never happened. I was reassured the next evening by the same chap that there were no functions that evening....so if you value a bit of peace and quiet when you try to sleep, this, for a not insignificant tariff, is not the hotel for you,

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear Michelle255093,

I am terribly sorry to hear your stay was not up to our standards, I will be sharing your feedback with our team to ensure that such incidents do not affect guests moving forward. I also would like you to contact me directly regarding your experience. I can be contacted at pmigoya@thehighlinehotel.com. I look forward to hearing from you.

park city UT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

The High Line Hotel, like the Jane, the Bowery and the Refinery before it (all of which I’ve stayed in) is one of a crop of NYC hotels where charm of a city hotel from some indeterminate 19th or early 20th century past is recreated, restored or rescued, but with all the modern and hipster features built in. The High Line, as the name implies, is directly across 10th avenue from its namesake, making a visit to that landmark, the Chelsea galleries or the meatpacking district all very convenient.

The hotel itself has been carved out of a massive Richardsonian Romanesque pile that must have served as a seminary back in its former life. Now the twisting halls, cold metal stairs, tiny elevators and passages lead to a warren of rooms of differing sizes and features. I was kindly upgraded by the NYU art student/aspiring model staff to a large room overlooking 10th avenue and the epinoumous city park. The room was cozy and well equipped with a small sofa (a davenport as my grandmother would have called this one), a non-working but atmospheric fireplace, a small but functional desk with plenty of outlets, and a ridiculously well stocked bar and snack set up. There was a small closet and the large and extraordinarily comfortable bed with a featherbed, deep sheets and very soft pillows.

As far as things I was less than happy with, I could point to the fact that the hotel basically has no lobby, per se. For a place of this size they’ve converted a very small area to the lobby function and the check in is literally a wardrobe that the staff opens when guests arrive. If it’s at all busy, it makes for something of a cluster in there. In the room itself, I will note that I was assigned to an accessible room with some very odd bathroom features. The sink was equipped with a sensor faucet which seems like a great idea at first except ask yourself, have you ever been able to vary the temperature of the water in a public bathroom equipped with sensor activated faucets? The answer is no, as I realized at the High Line. Thus, having no way to change between tooth-brushing cold and shaving-hot, I was forced to turn plumber commando and screw around with the valves in the wall to change the temp every time I needed to! This combined with the total lack of counter space for my toiletries (a real pet peeve of mine) and an accessible shower that literally poured water all over the room with each use made the bathroom a real drag.

In the end however, these issues were tolerable, particularly given that the bathroom issues are unique to the room in which I stayed.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear ExpeditionDaddy,

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience with us at THE HIGH LINE HOTEL. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for sharing your feedback regarding the sensor faucet and lack of counter space, we are always looking for ways to improve our guests experience. The sensor faucet is unique to our rooms with accessible bathrooms and we only have a handful on property. We appreciate your comments and hope to welcome you back soon and make your next stay even better.

Warm regards,

Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

We loved the High Line Hotel. It has wonderful intimate and interesting spaces. It has recently been renovated so the updates are crisp and new and clean. We loved the comfort of our bedding and the temperature control of our room, as well as the quietness of the heating, and a/c unit. Our room seemed very private and exclusive and the bar and snack extras are beyond what I have ever been offered. The room liquor and beer offerings on the bureau are unique and special too. The furnishings are charming. The most significant plus (in addition to the room hospitality amenities) is the house staff. The front desk personnel starting with Daniel L. If any one person could be the reason for overlooking any shortcomings of the hotel it would be him. He is professional, knowledgeable, well mannered and kind. Needless to say, we were impressed with him and he was on duty all evenings of our stay. We were helped at check in considerably by Jonathan R. and Kevin M.- also standouts in the hospitality arena of this fine hotel. Our only complaint would be that some housekeeping details were consistently overlooked by that dept. but the staff quickly came to our aid in bringing things up to par. The neighborhood has galleries, the High Line walkway, the Chelsea Market and all are wonderful to explore.

Room Tip: Our room was super quiet and comfortable but folks travelling with us found their room over the coff...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
TheHighLineHotel, General Manager at The High Line Hotel, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Dear June O,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your wonderful recent experience at THE HIGH LINE HOTEL. I am so very pleased that you loved your room and its amenities. I will share your kind words with Daniel, Jonathan, and Kevin. We hope to welcome you back soon to our little gem in the big city.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

This hotel was a joy to stay in. Everyone was incredible friendly and helpful, in particular, Andres and Cameron. The coffee shop downstairs is exactly what you need in the morning after a long night out. I would absolutely, 100% stay here again. Highly recommend it!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
TheHighLineHotel, General Manager at The High Line Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Dear Ryan R,

I am overjoyed that you had a wonderful experience with us here at THE HIGH LINE HOTEL. We are a truly unique property, and I am glad that you took advantage of the amenities and services offered at our little gem in the big city. I will certainly share your kind words with Andres and Cameron. We hope to welcome you back soon so you may consider us your home away from home.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

Great location, fabulous room, (just make sure you ask for a quiet one) and very comfortable bed! The staff were helpful throughout our whole stay! The transformation from school to hotel makes it real contender for a memorable and different experience. The challenge is the the lack of communal space and amenities that you would expect from a $500 a night hotel (which is the total cost, when you get you're bill due to all the taxes, so make sure you factor this into the price). There is no bar, restaurant, gym or communal areas what so ever, nor room service. No tea or coffee making facilities in the room and the small cafe is extremely expensive, just for coffee and a croissant, not much change from $20 a day. Overall this hotel, trades on its location, as you really have to go out for everything except to sleep.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Sun-Seeker-Sun-Lover,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your recent experience with us. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at our very special hotel. I will share your kind words with the team. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Pablo Migoya

Been to The High Line Hotel? Share your experiences!