“Disappointing” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The High Line Hotel

Save Saved
You added The High Line Hotel to your Saves list
The High Line Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   180 Tenth Avenue, at 20th Street, New York City, NY 10011 (Chelsea)   |
Ranked #312 of 452 hotels in New York City
Adelaide, Australia
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

This hotel has it's positives. The building is historically interesting and the renovation is well done. The rooms are lovely and spacious and the beds are delightfully comfortable. The location is interesting (more so for those who have been to Manhattan before); it's a funky area close to the High Line and Chelsea Market. The staff are friendly. However the hotel is disappointing on several levels; the young staff are friendly but a bit directionless. I was kept waiting over an hour for my room (post check in time) and heard a couple of people complain about things (quite validly I thought), only to be given the phone number of the manager!! There is no room service or restaurant at the hotel and the public space is very limited. The daily room servicing was a touch sloppy...dirty glasses not cleared away, towels not replaced, no supplements in bathroom like shower cap, cotton buds etc. However I wouldn't post a negative review based on these relatively trivial complaints. What really upset me was arriving home on my first night there to be greeted by loud music and bright lights streaming in to my room at 10.45 pm. There was a function in the courtyard. I rang to enquire how much longer it was to go on and was told it would be over at 11. When I called back an hour later to complain about the ongoing noise I was offered the email of the manager so I "could reach out with my concerns"! I suggested someone might reach out to me....and despite the nice young desk boy's efforts, needless to say that never happened. I was reassured the next evening by the same chap that there were no functions that evening....so if you value a bit of peace and quiet when you try to sleep, this, for a not insignificant tariff, is not the hotel for you,

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
TheHighLineHotel, General Manager at The High Line Hotel, responded to this review, May 25, 2014
Dear Michelle255093,

I am terribly sorry to hear your stay was not up to our standards, I will be sharing your feedback with our team to ensure that such incidents do not affect guests moving forward. I also would like you to contact me directly regarding your experience. I can be contacted at pmigoya@thehighlinehotel.com. I look forward to hearing from you.

102 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
park city UT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

The High Line Hotel, like the Jane, the Bowery and the Refinery before it (all of which I’ve stayed in) is one of a crop of NYC hotels where charm of a city hotel from some indeterminate 19th or early 20th century past is recreated, restored or rescued, but with all the modern and hipster features built in. The High Line, as the name implies, is directly across 10th avenue from its namesake, making a visit to that landmark, the Chelsea galleries or the meatpacking district all very convenient.

The hotel itself has been carved out of a massive Richardsonian Romanesque pile that must have served as a seminary back in its former life. Now the twisting halls, cold metal stairs, tiny elevators and passages lead to a warren of rooms of differing sizes and features. I was kindly upgraded by the NYU art student/aspiring model staff to a large room overlooking 10th avenue and the epinoumous city park. The room was cozy and well equipped with a small sofa (a davenport as my grandmother would have called this one), a non-working but atmospheric fireplace, a small but functional desk with plenty of outlets, and a ridiculously well stocked bar and snack set up. There was a small closet and the large and extraordinarily comfortable bed with a featherbed, deep sheets and very soft pillows.

As far as things I was less than happy with, I could point to the fact that the hotel basically has no lobby, per se. For a place of this size they’ve converted a very small area to the lobby function and the check in is literally a wardrobe that the staff opens when guests arrive. If it’s at all busy, it makes for something of a cluster in there. In the room itself, I will note that I was assigned to an accessible room with some very odd bathroom features. The sink was equipped with a sensor faucet which seems like a great idea at first except ask yourself, have you ever been able to vary the temperature of the water in a public bathroom equipped with sensor activated faucets? The answer is no, as I realized at the High Line. Thus, having no way to change between tooth-brushing cold and shaving-hot, I was forced to turn plumber commando and screw around with the valves in the wall to change the temp every time I needed to! This combined with the total lack of counter space for my toiletries (a real pet peeve of mine) and an accessible shower that literally poured water all over the room with each use made the bathroom a real drag.

In the end however, these issues were tolerable, particularly given that the bathroom issues are unique to the room in which I stayed.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear ExpeditionDaddy,

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience with us at THE HIGH LINE HOTEL. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for sharing your feedback regarding the sensor faucet and lack of counter space, we are always looking for ways to improve our guests experience. The sensor faucet is unique to our rooms with accessible bathrooms and we only have a handful on property. We appreciate your comments and hope to welcome you back soon and make your next stay even better.

Warm regards,

Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

We loved the High Line Hotel. It has wonderful intimate and interesting spaces. It has recently been renovated so the updates are crisp and new and clean. We loved the comfort of our bedding and the temperature control of our room, as well as the quietness of the heating, and a/c unit. Our room seemed very private and exclusive and the bar and snack extras are beyond what I have ever been offered. The room liquor and beer offerings on the bureau are unique and special too. The furnishings are charming. The most significant plus (in addition to the room hospitality amenities) is the house staff. The front desk personnel starting with Daniel L. If any one person could be the reason for overlooking any shortcomings of the hotel it would be him. He is professional, knowledgeable, well mannered and kind. Needless to say, we were impressed with him and he was on duty all evenings of our stay. We were helped at check in considerably by Jonathan R. and Kevin M.- also standouts in the hospitality arena of this fine hotel. Our only complaint would be that some housekeeping details were consistently overlooked by that dept. but the staff quickly came to our aid in bringing things up to par. The neighborhood has galleries, the High Line walkway, the Chelsea Market and all are wonderful to explore.

Room Tip: Our room was super quiet and comfortable but folks travelling with us found their room over the coff...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
TheHighLineHotel, General Manager at The High Line Hotel, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Dear June O,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your wonderful recent experience at THE HIGH LINE HOTEL. I am so very pleased that you loved your room and its amenities. I will share your kind words with Daniel, Jonathan, and Kevin. We hope to welcome you back soon to our little gem in the big city.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

This hotel was a joy to stay in. Everyone was incredible friendly and helpful, in particular, Andres and Cameron. The coffee shop downstairs is exactly what you need in the morning after a long night out. I would absolutely, 100% stay here again. Highly recommend it!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
TheHighLineHotel, General Manager at The High Line Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Dear Ryan R,

I am overjoyed that you had a wonderful experience with us here at THE HIGH LINE HOTEL. We are a truly unique property, and I am glad that you took advantage of the amenities and services offered at our little gem in the big city. I will certainly share your kind words with Andres and Cameron. We hope to welcome you back soon so you may consider us your home away from home.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

Great location, fabulous room, (just make sure you ask for a quiet one) and very comfortable bed! The staff were helpful throughout our whole stay! The transformation from school to hotel makes it real contender for a memorable and different experience. The challenge is the the lack of communal space and amenities that you would expect from a $500 a night hotel (which is the total cost, when you get you're bill due to all the taxes, so make sure you factor this into the price). There is no bar, restaurant, gym or communal areas what so ever, nor room service. No tea or coffee making facilities in the room and the small cafe is extremely expensive, just for coffee and a croissant, not much change from $20 a day. Overall this hotel, trades on its location, as you really have to go out for everything except to sleep.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Sun-Seeker-Sun-Lover,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your recent experience with us. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at our very special hotel. I will share your kind words with the team. We hope to welcome you back soon.

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

Was worried about staying here due to the reviews but couldn't have been more delighted. We arrived very late at night and was checked in within minutes. Room was full of quirky pieces and the bed was one of the most comfy I have slept in. Room also well stocked but wasn't needed as so many places within walking distance to eat and drink. The staff were all young, friendly and helpful and it was wonderful to come down of a morning and smell the coffee brewing and grab a cup out in the courtyard before heading out for the day.

Loved the location, the decoration and the coffee. If you are looking for somewhere to stay away from the crowds yet handy to everywhere than I can't recommend this place enough. Thanks for showing us another side of NYC

Room Tip: Choose away from ground floor to avoid noise
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear BernieB68,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience with us. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and we hope to welcome you back soon so you may experience more of our little gem in the big city.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

My wife and I got away to NYC for three days and stayed at the Highline Hotel. It was exactly what we were looking for. the room was small, but very comfortable. The bed was excellent. In the lobby, they have an Intelligentsia coffee/tea bar pouring high quality brews, as well as wine and beer. FYI, there is no room service, but there are fantastic places to eat literally across the street. And you have access to a nice gym a block away.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
TheHighLineHotel, General Manager at The High Line Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear Davi R,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your recent experience at THE HIGH LINE HOTEL. I am pleased you had a wonderful stay with us and enjoyed our very comfortable rooms, as well as Intelligentsia.

I hope to welcome you back soon.

Pablo Migoya

Been to The High Line Hotel? Share your experiences!