“Amazing stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The High Line Hotel

You added The High Line Hotel to your Saves list
The High Line Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   180 Tenth Avenue, at 20th Street, New York City, NY 10011 (Chelsea)   |
Ranked #300 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
“Amazing stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

We came to the city for one night and used the Hotels Tonight app to book the room. The room we got was amazing, lots of room and the bed was very comfortable. We also loved that the curtains were heavy enough to block out most of the noise and the light from outside at night.
Particularly I would like to point out the amazing staff. The concierge when we checked in was Lyric. She was a peach, delightful and she seemed genuinely interested in our trip and happy for us. I will definitely be staying here next time I'm in the city.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
TheHighLineHotel, General Manager at The High Line Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Dear Kevin P,

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay in our little gem in the big city. I am pleased to hear that Lyric gave you a wonderful first impression of our hotel, which led to the fabulous stay you described.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Pablo Migoya

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014 via mobile

We rented a room last minute at the Highline for a staycation. I had heard amazing things about the renovations and thought it would be the perfect escape from the usual upscale hotels around Chelsea/Meatpacking. The building is beautiful even though it is still VERY much under construction. The main entrance and whole front garden is closed and covered in caution tape. My room was off the lobby, which for a few twentysomethings who stay out late was fine but the fact that within minutes of us returning to the room the coffee bar was opening or preparing for the day - the clinking and clanging from that right outside our door before the sun even rose was brutal. That was, however, a minor issue compared to the temperature of our room. It was stuffy and unbearably warm upon arrival. We turned the thermostat all the way to cold on the highest setting before going out for the night. When we returned back, our room keys did not work (it was a twenty minutes before the one staff member in the lobby was done dealing with another angry guest before we could even be let into our room.) When we finally got in, the room was 10 times hotter than it was before we left. We opened the windows, only half of which had screens, so we had to keep only those two open. We barely slept because of how unbelievably hot the room was and being on street level with open windows did not help that. To top it off, the friendly helpful welcome we got at checkin was gone at check out. Not only were we not helped with our bags through the side entrance (all that's open because of the construction,) but the TWO staffers at the door didn't even hold it open not say a goodbye... Very strange indeed. It's sad that we left with such a foul taste when the building and our room were so gorgeous.

• Stayed April 2014
Dear Ashleysiegs,

I would like to sincerely apologize for the issues you experienced during your stay with us. Unfortunately, our front garden is currently undergoing an extensive makeover that will make our property more special, but I apologize that its construction affected your stay. Please be assured that I will be addressing your concerns with the team to ensure that we exceed the expectations of our guests going forward. I hope that you will be willing to give us another chance and experience THE HIGH LINE HOTEL difference that you came to expect.

London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

I feel compelled to write this to warn other families, I booked a room for 2 adults and 1 child. On arrival after flying in from the uk, now 00.30 am uk time so a bit tired and needing to get our 8 year old to bed. The receptionist, which is basically you standing in the middle of the coffee shop talking to a member of staff with a screen, told us she was moving things around to give us a bigger room. Great I think, once in the room we are met with just 1 king size bed. I return to reception to be told that is what I booked, yes I say I appreciate the room type but this is what was offered to me when I put in our search criteria I was expecting a sofa bed/single bed to be added to the room. She said I should have requested a rollaway bed for a further $75 on top of the $400 already paid. I don't think so I reply, initially she said this is the room you have booked, I state the fact and show my booking confirm clearly stating 2 adults, 1 child, she'd does say this has happened before, the website should really tell the booker, but it doesn't I say, I need a bed for my daughter. She calls another member, dithers around, we decide to get a drink she finally tells me a rollaway is being set up now, we gave it a further 5 mins, it's now 1.30 am we return to the room to no bed, no-one putting up a bed. I return again, now very frustrated to be told I have to be patient!! The cheek of it I say you told me now 10 mins ago the bed was being put up. I return again and eventually a bed arrives,, it's now 2 am before I can finally get my daughter to bed. Throughout the whole episode I was made to feel like it was my fault, certainly very poor customer service, with the conversation being held for all to hear. The hotel is in a great location but I don't think I'll return to be treated so rudely.

Stayed April 2014
Dear thedubfamily,

I would like to sincerely apologize for the issues you experienced at check-in and with your rollaway bed request. Please be assured that I will address these issues with the team to ensure they do not impact other guests. I hope that you will be able to give us a second chance to show you THE HIGH LINE HOTEL difference and that our little gem in the big city is like no other.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

The hotel itself is great. Very well renovated with some really classy touches. The rooms are pretty small, but from what I hear that's typical of NYC. The service on the other hand is absolutely appalling!

One or two of the staff were very moody and elitist, as though any basic question was beneath them - although I do have to point out that this was the minority as some were quite the opposite. It's just the bad experiences seem to really sour the whole experience. Part of the package is access to a local gym. I was assured by hotel staff that I just needed to let them know my name as they would call ahead, although when I arrived at the gym nobody there seemed to know that there was even a deal in place. I did manage to get in, but only after calling the hotel and getting them to have a conversation. These are minor problems though and we still would have been happy enough in the grand scheme of things until we were checking out.

When arranging a cab back to JFK I was stupid enough to fall for a fairly hard sell into paying considerably more for a private hotel car. Worth travelling back in style we thought, but as it turns out the car was filthy, the boot was already full of random rubbish meaning getting our cases in was a challenge and there were a number of deep cracks all the way across the windscreen! This was genuinely far worse than any yellow cab we'd taken. We were really surprised about this as the hotel itself, is clean and classy, so why would they want to associate themselves with this?

Worse still was the after service. I left an expensive pair of headphones in the room so emailed them from the UK asking if they had them. They were kind enough to call back and confirm this was the case so I arranged for a friend in NYC to collect them. I confirmed his name and details over email, but when he arrived he was told they had already been collected. I have no major objection to this as it must have been a mistake by somebody on reception and I understand these things happen (my fault for leaving them in the first place!) - although there is a slight question mark over why somebody else would come in and ask for them when nobody other than me, my wife, my friend and the hotel knew they were there. My big problem is the absolute zero contact from the High Line Hotel since this happened. I naturally emailed them to query the fact they had given them to somebody other than the person I'd specifically named, but had no reply. A couple of days later I repeated this, but again, nothing. As was the case on two or three other occasions. The headphones aren't the issue here, it's the fact that they refuse to even acknowledge the issue with a reply. Even if it wasn't what I wanted to hear, a reply of any form would have at least showed they have at least some concept of customer service. A very disappointing end to what had been a great trip.

Next time we're in NYC we'll stay at The Jane.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
TheHighLineHotel, General Manager at The High Line Hotel, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
Dear TheGrices,

I sincerely apologize for the issues that you experienced during your stay with us. I would like to discuss these issues with you further. Please contact me directly at your convenience.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

The style of architecture I would describe as "Road to Wellville/Take the Waters meets Sir John Sloane's Museum." I had a pair of horns in my room, and you can spot other attic treasures scattered throughout. Floors are B&W tile, with iron beams and all the finer details found in big piles of bricks, this one a former seminary. But the rooms manage to wed old and new, with lovely aged carpets and vintage furnishings living happily beside period wallpaper and contemporary luxury linens. The bed is worth getting stranded in NYC for. I almost gave it 4 stars because my room was a bit street-noisy, but I was fine w earplugs. The lobby scene will appeal to anyone happy living under the tyranny of liveliness (I could skip it) -- coffee-drinkers in line for the loo was a bit off-putting but who am I to judge? If you are hip, you will feel at home here. If you fantasize about old European hotels, you will also like this. It's out with the old, and in with the new, and back in with the old. A singular hotel in a world where it is hard to be apart from the pack. Great bell staff -- one reminded me of a character from an Ishiguro novel.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet corner if you don't sleep with earplugs.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Dear PigsFly,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. I am pleased you enjoyed our one-of-a-kind furniture that was sourced throughout the United States and I hope to welcome you back soon.

Santa Monica, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

This is truly my absolute favorite hotel in NYC. The rooms are so commodious that you truly feel as if you are returning to your own apartment. I love the fact that the lobby is very casual: really just a well masked station shared with a comfy lounge and Intelligentsia Coffee. The attention to detail is spectacular; everyone who works here is very happy; and the view of the little park outside is so calming. PLus it's in Chelsea with all the galleries and great restaurants and The High Line. I would live here if I could!

Room Tip: There is no restaurant or swimming pool, but the Cook Shop is directly across the way - one of the...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Colson1010,

I am delighted that THE HIGH LINE HOTEL has become your home away from home in New York City. We certainly want all of our guests to feel at home, and our hidden gem in the big city does just that. We hope to see you soon.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

My husband and I just returned from a 6 night stay at The High Line Hotel and loved it. The decor is great and our room was smaller, in the eaves, but comfortable and we had everything we needed. I loved the touches of vintage phone, old writing desk and retro styling. The room was well kitted out with snacks and drinks and the coffee from the 'intelligentsia' coffee company in the lounge/reception was delicious. It's not your standard hotel, with no reception desk/room service etc, but we found the staff extremely friendly and helpful, easy to identify & our room was clean & well stocked. There are lots of places to eat both left and right out of the hotel and only a few blocks downtown is the Chelsea food market, so we didn't mind not being able to eat there.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Jane J,

I could not be more pleased to know what a wonderful experience you had with us. I am so glad you took full advantage of all the hotel has to offer. It is truly a little gem in the big city. I hope to welcome you back to THE HIGH LINE HOTEL soon!

Pablo Migoya

Been to The High Line Hotel? Share your experiences!