“Hi from the High Line Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The High Line Hotel

You added The High Line Hotel to your Saves list
The High Line Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   180 Tenth Avenue, at 20th Street, New York City, NY 10011 (Chelsea)   |
Ranked #301 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Lebanon, Pennsylvania
“Hi from the High Line Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

Nice hotel but not much of a lobby which is very small. Lobby does have a wonderful little coffee bar that makes great lattes. My family and I stayed here during Christmas holiday 2013. The rooms were nice with comfortable beds.

Room Tip: Rooms not facing the street are quieter.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Joseph W, Front Office Manager at The High Line Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Dear Geraldine W,

Thank you for taking the time to share your holiday stay with us! I’m glad that you enjoyed our comfortable guest rooms, as well as the beverages at Intelligentsia. I hope you get the chance to see the enhancements we’ve made to our lobby next time you find yourself in NYC!

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

I had great expectations but was unfortunately very disappointed. The hotel is very charming but the staff are rude and offhanded (expect one guy, Alvin, he was great). The room was so hot we needed to sleep with opened window on ground floor! We also didn’t get the room we had booked and paid for during the first night. In our new room the lamps didn’t work and the bathroom door was jammed. I would definitely recommend people to view other options before booking this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Boweryman,

I wanted to thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. Alvin exemplifies the type of service we strive for here at The High Line Hotel, however, it truly saddens me the other team members did not provide the same level of hospitality. Please feel free to reach out to me directly to discuss the happenings of your stay. I hope you allow us the opportunity to invite you back in the near future.

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

My first review of the High Line Hotel from last spring no longer seems available, but when I first went when it had just opened (spring 2013) it was quite rough then: construction dust, a great deal of noise, wires uncovered, no shades or curtains on bathroom windows facing busy streets, telephone didn't work. I am happy to report that is has improved since then, though it still isn't quite as good as its prices are indicating. I would actually like to give it 3.5 stars but it is not an option here.

Problems: I had a very, very small room this time (usually the rooms are larger), and it was very hot (even though cold outside) and the temperature controls did not seem to do much. I really needed an early check-in but could not be accommodated--even though they said they could do so-- and I ended up waiting awhile, not really knowing how long it would be. (That delay cost me an appointment.) The hot room: I opened the window and had it open to get through the night, which was okay because I was high up but would not have felt safe lower to the ground. I found the staff quite friendly and helpful, which is what bumps up my score. Their friendliness eased some of the annoyances, which would have been more annoying if delivered with rudeness.

The rooms and lobby are handsome and have some visual charm. The rooms need a bit more to make them comfortable: a soft chair to sit in, a luggage rack to put one's suitcase on. And for some reason,the carpet in my room and also the lobby smelled like burnt rubber, which I could just tolerate but was noticeable and a little weird. They should look into that...something wrong with the vacuum cleaner?

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Joseph W, Front Office Manager at The High Line Hotel, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Dear FamilyMan098,

Thank you for taking the time to once again share your experience with us at The High Line Hotel. Each review only helps us to better accommodate our guests to ensure a truly remarkable stay. I’m happy to hear that the staff was both friendly and accommodating, however, I do want to apologize for the delay at check in. Please feel free to reach out to me directly at the hotel to discuss some of your room issues. I hope we can welcome you back again next time you’re in NYC!

Westport, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

The checkin was appalling as they couldn't find our reservation and I had written an email to confirm. Our rooms were near the great Coffee Bar but was noisy with screaming kids in the morning, so do not book these rooms. The key cards had to be reprogrammed three times. No turndown service or towels the second night. Bathroom needs brighter lights, shelves and hooks. One bedside needs a reading lamp. Overhead lights didn't work. Luxurious linens and mattress. Great decor/design in perfect location.

• Stayed March 2014
Joseph W, Front Office Manager at The High Line Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Dear Dedee S,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences with us in regards to your recent stay. I’d like to apologize for the discomforting experience you had upon arrival. We truly strive to ensure our guests have a comfortable experience from the moment they arrive at The High Line Hotel, until they depart. I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back next time you find yourself in NYC.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

Stayed one night. Location is great in hot high line area next to restaurants and across from high line park. 10th avenue is a busy road but my room was on other street so no noise issues but could be on street side. Building is gorgeous, gas lanterns out front, nice courtyard with tables and chairs - it's winter so not being used but I am sure in spring the coffee truck there and courtyard will be a lively spot. The lobby and common areas are nice but here is where the hotel is showing its still a soft open. No bar or restaurant just fancy coffee bar. No comfortable area to sit and lounge - basically lobby is foyer. I didn't wander too much but my sense was all this is to come with construction. Check in was efficient if a bid odd - guy just using a laptop on a table in lobby - again feels like just opened

Room was on top floor. Very spacious for New York, but here there is some stuff missing. Like what? Well how about a closet- no closet, and by the way no chest of drawers either. Furniture is quirky 1920s vintage desks and chairs, I liked it but may not be for everyone. Bathroom is tiny which is typical New York but not typical for hotel of this level is tiny precast tub with shower curtain. Obviously this quirkiness is from having to use the old building and working with what they had - it was fine but if my wife and I were there for a week and had nowhere - literally- to put clothes I wouldn't be happy. There is no restaurant, at least yet, so no room service. There is minibar that is shockingly underpriced -- candy for 2 dollars, beer for 5 or 6 dollars. By NYC standards that's cheap - nice selection to, craft beer, nice snacks, small batch bourbon - maybe trying to make up for lack of restaurant

I booked through jetsetter and paid 200 or so - compared to others in NYC that's fair price. When completed the place can command more. Overall very cool place if you don't mind the quirks and realize its not completed yet. Would definintely stay again

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Dear kawargo111,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us about your recent stay. Your comments will definitely be used to help us better make our guests feel like The High Line Hotel is their second home. I hope we get the chance to welcome you back again in the near future!

Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

Stayed here for a weekend with a friend and felt like I was in Europe except the room was huge!
Very hip place with bicycle rental, great coffee shop with yummy pastries, and beautiful architecture. Rooms have a comfy bed with great linens, quirky furniture, and the best part was the big windows that actually opened to the outside. The Highline is nearby for an evening stroll.
Lots of shopping and great restaurants in the neighborhood. Not too expensive either.
I travel to NYC a couple of times a year and this will now be my go to hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Joseph W, Front Office Manager at The High Line Hotel, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Dear susan t,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent stay with us here at The High Line Hotel! This property truly makes you feel like you’re not in NYC anymore. I’m ecstatic to hear that you enjoyed our various amenities, as well as our uniquely decorated guest rooms! Please feel free to reach out to me directly if I can be of any future assistance. We’re looking forward to welcoming you back soon!

Cape May, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

We needed to make a quick trip to NYC for a birthday party for a friend who lives in Chelsea. I am a former student at the seminary and my husband as always wanted to live on the Close. The High Line Hotel was the perfect choice. We were delighted from moment one with the service of the staff, the beautiful room and the feeling of serenity that enveloped us. We have booked for a week in late April when we return to celebrate our wedding anniversary. congratulations from two very very fussy former New Yorkers. See you in Aoril

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Joseph W, Front Office Manager at The High Line Hotel, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Dear Luvrat,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent stay! We truly strive to ensure that each guest has an amazingly comfortable stay, and I'm happy you and your husband enjoyed your time with us. Please feel free to reach out to me directly if I can be of any assistance to you. Looking forward to welcoming you back in April!

Front Office Manager

Been to The High Line Hotel? Share your experiences!