“Good lunch dpot” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Il Bagatto Togo

Il Bagatto Togo
192 E 2ND St, New York City, NY 10009-7737 (East Village)
+1 212-228-0977
Neighborhood: East Village
Sydney
“Good lunch dpot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Fantastic soup and pasta although didn't feel overly welcomed. Definitely more a local hangout ith devotees but worth a vista.

Visited January 2013

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Il Bagatto is a great LES find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

I made reservations here based on NY Magazine's review and TripAdvisor reviews. I was VERY tempted to leave within minutes of getting there, but was ultimately glad we stayed. We were waiting for our NYC 20-something kids and a couple who are friends of ours and live in NYC. We went to the quaint bar in the basement level to wait for our guests. They apparently had just mopped the floors with a dirty mop and some nasty smelling disinfectant right before we got there. (Really? On a Sat evening at 7:00PM?). The smell in the basement just about knocked me out. I believe one's restaurant experience encompasses sight, taste, smell, sound: most all the senses. I consider the lighting, the glassware, plates, music right along with the menu and wine list. I was gagging at the hideous smell and was on my phone checking nearby restaurants. my daughter knew some good places nearby, but we decided to stay, based on the great reviews. I was surprised that there was a limited-though adequate- wine list. We stuck it out and stayed. Thank God the restaurant was open to the street that night. Our meal and overall dining experience was GREAT and reasonably priced. I would enthusiastically recommend il Bagatto.

Zurich
“Good Restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

My partner and I had intended to go to Il Posto Accanto but went in the wrong doorway and ended up in Il Bagatto! To start with, we were served delicious Italian breads with a "dip" of fine olive oil & balsamic vinegar to go with our prosecco. We were supplied with more of the same without asking. Good service! Two courteous and serious waiters in turn looked after us. The first waiter rattled off a long list of specials on the menu. When I said that I couldn't keep all that information in my head he kindly (again without being asked) returned with the list of specials in print.
For starters we each tried a different salad and voted them top marks: delicious, light and varied. I had a pork chop for the main course. Sounds very ordinary but was cooked to perfection : juicy, tender and flavoursome. My companion equally enthusiastic about his pasta dish. Excellent white wine for our starters; red wine for our mains almost as good.
So, really good ingredients, cooking and service. So why not five stars? Answer in two words: the manager. Patently insincere and uninterested while asking us if our meal was ok, waltzing out onto the street with a cigar and a snifter of brandy, where he did his "Look at me" act. Shouting from the street when he wanted a waiter who scurried out to him looking terrified. Loathsome behaviour. Mustn't end on a sour note, so congratulations to waiters and kitchen staff.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
orlando, fl
“Wonderful as always!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012 via mobile

The marinara sauce was fabulous! Service awesome! Everyone was so polite, fun and wonderful! Amazing atmosphere! Quaint and cozy!!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Bangkok, Thailand
“Good food; shocking service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

Do not encourage these people. Go elsewhere.

The printed menu is brief; it turns out that most of the dishes are "specials" which the waiter explains to you. Note that he does not price them. You order the food and wine - both are good, but some things could be done better. Why are you not given the usual small sample of wine before the full glass? Then you get the bill. The "specials" seem to carry a higher price than the standard menu items - not excessively, but still notably more expensive. You are then - and only then - told that the restaurant only accepts AmEx credit cards (not VISA).

I had just enough cash for the bill and a small tip - about 5%. I apologised to the cashier for the small tip, explaining I simply had no more money and that I had anticipating paying by VISA. She said: "Oh, that's ok." Moments later, she said in a loud voice to a waiter: "He only gave a 5% tip!" The waiter then approached me and explained that it is "customary in NYC" to provide a 15-20% tip. When I explained my situation again, I was told there was an ATM (cash machine) downstairs.

Very badly handled - frankly bordering on threatening behaviour. I was there on a Saturday night, and it was almost deserted - with this kind of "service" that is entirely understandable. Stay away.

• Visited July 2012