“A classic...and just what I was looking for!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Odessa

Odessa
119 Ave A, New York City, NY 10009-5820 (East Village)
(212) 253-1470
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night
Neighborhood: East Village
Chichester, UK
“A classic...and just what I was looking for!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

After a heavy night out on the Lower East Side, I wanted the quintessential diner for bacon, eggs, homefries AND pancakes. I'm an ex-pat American, from New York but live in the UK. I went with my English daughter-in-law and wanted her to experience "my" kind of breakfast. Couldn't have wished for better (except real maple syrup would have been nice). We sat at the counter - you gotta do that - and our waiter, who was PERFECT - greeted us with a high-5 and the best service EVER. Didn't catch his name, but he has curly hair, a cheeky grin, a great wink and speaks Spanish. You'll know him if you see him! This is a real locals' place...one you wouldn't think to go in from the way it looks on the outside, and one you'll want to return to once you've been on the inside. Go!

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

“Really enjoyed it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I'm no local, and this was my first time at Odessa. Being a fan of Alphabet City, I wanted to have breakfast somewhere many locals would go. So a cousin brought us here, and the waiter (I believe he was the owner) was extremely accommodating. Throughout our time there, all the workers were very nice and treated their customers very well. My brother, who's under 12 years of age, was referred as the "number one customer" and was treated like gold. My meal, the feta and broccoli omelet with potatoes, was amazing and my mother also adored her Belgian waffle. Given the chance, I'd definitely return as I enjoyed the location of this place as well as its service!

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
San Diego and New York City
“One of the last still standing...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

There was a time in the East Village that you had a wide choice of where to get your carb overload or breakfast once the clubs shut down at 4AM.

There was Leshko's, Kiev, Odessa and numerous others all serving similar hearty Eastern European and American Diner staples.

Odessa is one of the few left and I usually prefer it to Veselka. Like everything else the menu has kept most of the old faves of Pierogi combos - I go for the boiled ones and they have good vegetarian stuffed cabbage as well.

For meat lovers, the kielbasa seems like a very popular choice and they do Chef's combos that have all the above plus a blintz or potato latke, etc. They also serve very nice Challah Bread.

Expect to leave full, fat and happy.

• Visited April 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cambridge, MA
“Odessa is a decent place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

I usually go to Odessa for Brunch. It's pretty cheap and comes with booze. Odessaa also is not usually as crowded as 7A and the waiters are far more attentive than at Yaffa. Sometimes the music they play at Odessa is really fun. It's open all night and they have a full bar.

Visited January 2012
Somerville, Massachusetts
“24hr Eastern European diner. Yum.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

With the loss of Kiev some years ago, Odessa and Veselka are the remaining 24h Ukrainian diners that I know of. Veselka hit the big time a few years back - probably due to its location, while Odessa's out on the (increasingly fashionable) fringes.

The pierogi, the blintzes, the latke, all yummy.

I just wish they had Kiev's compote.

• Visited December 2011