“Must Try!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Katz's Deli

Katz's Deli
205 E Houston Street, New York City, NY 10002-1098 (Lower East Side)
(212) 254-2246
Neighborhood: Lower East Side
Wilmington, Delaware
“Must Try!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2014 NEW

After years of yearning, I finally made it out to the iconic Katz's Deli the day after Christmas. My friend and I were undertaking a NYC food tour, and our first stop was Katz's. We arrived at around 10:45, so it wasn't too busy. Still most tables were occupied, but we were able to place our orders right away. My friend ordered a pastrami sandwich and I ordered a pastrami reuben.

Immediately after ordering (to go, by the way), the server placed a plate of pastrami to sample! We tried it and were immediately hooked the tender, flavor-filled slices of hot pastrami.

So we got our sandwiches and then paid our bill. This is the only knock on Katz's. Two sandwiches cost us almost $45!

I will go back one day (perhaps on my next food tour) and try the corned beef. I just need to save up for it.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

• Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
“Was not impressed! Tourists from Scotland”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2014 NEW

We waited 20mins for waiter service as ordering at the desks looked too much of a hassle, I wish we didn't as the waiter was so rude! I asked him to recommend what we could have, he started to offer us a sharing platter which I told him we didn't want to do as we don't like to eat the same kind of things , he snapped and asked "well ...what would you like?"

We ordered a turkey sandwich with coleslaw , fries and a pastrami Reuben with a pitcher of Budweiser, first time in New York and all!

Service was ok, plate of fries arrived first as a kind of starter , then our sandwiches and while they were stacked high with meat that's really all it was , the bread was a lot to be desired and not very tasty for $20 each then $20 for the pitcher. So for two people we were $60.10 before tax and gratuity. Overpriced sandwiches for sure!!!

The waiter told us we were to leave a tip on the table and take the green ticket to the till on he way out. We were sitting chatting finishing our pints when the waiter (tall middle aged guy with a hat on) came over to us again and told us we were to leave a tip on the table and pay at the door. I said "yeah we are finishing our drinks and chatting thanks" . As we now felt rushed out the door I left $5 tip on the table as that's all I think he deserved, he was quick at service but rude! ....he actually followed us to where you pay and HANDED me my tip back telling me that in America your "expected" to leave 15%~20% tip" I was astounded!!!!!! He didn't deserve any more than $5 and is it not my choice how much I tip? He's lucky he got anything at all. I was so angry!!!

Never ever again!!! Overpriced, arrogant deli!

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Newberry
“Food okay, place itself is interesting!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2014 NEW

Now that we suffered the chaos involved in getting in, I am glad we did. The food was okay, the egg cream better. The wait staff were friendly given the crowds. Don't know that we would go again in the future, but glad we got to experience it!

“Iconic - worth the visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2014 NEW

Different experience. Food was good, but relatively expensive. Great fun. Sandwiches are enormous - only order if you are seriously into meat.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Frederick, Maryland
“You can't miss this NYC classic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2014 NEW

If you like your sanwiches full of juicy, delicious pastrami, roast beef, and corned beef., this is the place.
Right on Houston Street in lower Manhattan, this place is brimming with activity, and good spirit. It is noisy, but a good noisy.
It may be a little overwhelming for out of towners, but this is what NYC is all about. From the pictures of the famous patrons on the wall to the tons of meat being consumed on a daily basis, this place is not to be forgotten.
You will pay mightily for the privilege, as we paid $175 for 5 people. But I would go there again.
BTW, if you go as a group, get your sandwiches separately in one of the ten lines, then meet at a table of your choice. The limited number of tables they reserve for groups will insure that you will wait forever if you wish to be seated and served together. Enjoy! Good luck!

• 5 of 5 stars Food