“Long wait ” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sparks Steakhouse

Sparks Steakhouse
210 E 46th St, New York City, NY 10017-2903 (Manhattan)
(212) 687-4855
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Sparks Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #819 of 11,597 restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Barbecue, Steakhouse
Good for: Bar scene, Doing business, Entertaining clients
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Cross street: Between 2nd and 3rd Avenues
Transit: Nearest Transit: Grand Central - 42 St (7, 7X), Grand Central - 42 St (4, 5, 6, 6X), 51 St (4, 6, 6X).
Naples, Florida, United States
“Long wait ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

Crowded but its NY worth the wait. Steaks were cooked to perfection and a great wine list. The broiled shrimp app was yum.

76% Recommend
Fiumicino, Italy
“Why do people eat here?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013 via mobile

Had a dinner with college friends in a private room. I feel totally ripped off. $200 per person, and we didn't drink much. Food and service were ok at best. Veal was good but with the lamb chops and filet we're terrible.
Private room was in a dank basement. The general feel you get from the staff is "eat fast and pay." "If you don't like it we have other people who want your table.

No warmth or friendliness from host who seemed to enjoy jerking people around. I asked about our private room and was directed to the left with a grunt.

I don't understand why people tolerate it. There are much better places to go.

Visited December 2013
NY,NY
“Best Surf & Turf of your life.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

There's a ton of places in NY to get a really good steak but Sparks is a cut above them. Most people agree on Peter Lugers and I'd say the sirloin at Sparks is on par with anything you'd get there. But you must order the sirloin. I'm sure the other cuts they sell are fine but the sirloin is their signature cut.

But where Sparks separates from the pack is with their lobster. Wow. Big, fresh, tender, juicy and it comes to your table steaming hot and ready to eat. No need for a bib and a bunch of hand tools. You will not get a better lobster in NYC. Along with the steak you'll be in surf n turf heaven. They also have a crazy long wine list although i wish they offered some lesser priced wines on it. Be prepared to spend big bucks here but you will have a memorable meal.

The reservation system is a little messed up during peak times as they seem to just take limitless reservations. I have been here about a half dozen times and only once was i given a table right away and that was in the middle of summer when NYC is sorta dead. On this occasion I showed up at 9:15 for a 9:00 reservation and there was a mob of guests waiting; some quite upset. When I checked in I was told it would be a half hour and i got called about 25 minutes later. I've always had good luck there. Others were waiting much longer.

The service is old-schol waiters and I personally think they're great. This last visit I was seated in a small corner booth and I had at least 4 different staff people checking up on me.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
indianapolis, in
“Cattle Call”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

Had an 8:00 PM reservation on a Saturday evening and called to confirm at 7:00 PM. Arrived at 8:00 PM to a crushing crowd at the Captain's Station and was told that there would be a 30 minute wait--no problem so far! The reality was that the maître d knew he would not be seating anyone for more than an hour!! I stood beside him for 20 minutes listening to him tell each new arrival that there would be a 30 minute wait.

After a 1 1/2 hour wait, we left. If you enjoy being treated like cattle, being told bald faced lies and treated with utter disregard, then this is your kind of place. I don't care how good the food or service is in this place, I wouldn't recommend this to my worst enemy. Fortunately for places like this, they have an endless stream of tourists willing to suffer unconscionable customer service.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Michael S. ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

Very good food. Good service. A little expensive. Would go back. No Rib Eye steaks on the menu. My favorite steak. Needs to be a little better for me to give 5 stars. Del Frisco's is at that level.