“Can't hard boil an egg? Really?” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Nougatine at Jean Georges

Nougatine at Jean Georges
1 Central Park West, Trump International Hotel, New York City, NY 10023 (Upper West Side)
(212) 299-3900
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Nougatine at Jean Georges is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #633 of 11,181 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Entertaining clients, Doing business, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Dessert, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Upper West Side
Cross street: 60th St. and 61st Streets
Transit: A C, B, D, or 1 line to 59th Street Columbus Circle.
Description: Jean-Georges opened in 1997 to critical acclaim. The jewel of Chef Jean-Georges Vongerichten’s empire, the restaurant offers the very best in fine dining. Consistently awarded four stars by the New York Times and three Michelin stars, Jean-Georges presents exquisitely crafted dishes blending French, American, and Asian influences. Chef Jean-Georges is a master at maintaining the essence of ingredients while using them inventively to produce the best flavor. Jean-Georges’ chic and intimate dining room was redesigned by Thomas Juul-Hansen, with striking lighting by L’Observatoire. Impeccable service, tableside preparations, and floor-to-ceiling windows with stunning views of Central Park and Columbus Circle all contribute to an unforgettable dining experience. Jean-Georges offers a three-course prix-fixe menu and two six-course tasting menus: a traditional tasting of the chef’s signature dishes, and a seasonal tasting featuring fresh market ingredients.
Cockeysville, Maryland
“Can't hard boil an egg? Really?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I called ahead to alert the breakfast crew at the restaurant that I wanted a hard boiled egg for breakfast. I even told them how long to boil the egg and that the timer was to start after the egg was put in the boiling water! 12 minutes, please. The egg was presented to me after I sat down, and believe it or not the egg was so undercooked that the yolk actually ran out on the plate! The reason the restaurant gets 3 stars is that its chicken sausage is outstanding. The wheat toast was nothing out of the ordinary, at all. The service was good. I told the manager as I left that the cook who did this should be made to watch a YouTube video 100 times on how to boil an egg. It is shameful that any cook in any breakfast restaurant does not know how to hard boil an egg.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Indianapolis IN
“Won't be back!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Came here on February 9 before seeing Carmen at the Metropolitan Opera. Annoyed immediately that we weren't seated at 5 as they were still prepping??? There were about 5 couples standing in the lobby that had gust of freezing wind blowing in. The hostess wasn't friendly. The worst was the African American coat check girl that rolled her eyes at my husband and I every time she went to put a coat in the closet!!! She really needs a different position--We were seated about 5:15 by a blonde haired sommelier that informed me that coats were not allowed to be on the back of the chair. I was wearing mine! Rude and snotty! We were dressed to the 9's but treated like crap. I've never felt so unwelcome at any establishment of this class in my life. At this point, the meal was doomed. My husband asked the same blonde about a bottle of wine. She advised on a weak Cab Franc blend after I told her I preferred full bodied cabs. No attention to detail. Our waiter was kind. I have to say the food was really good. I had the red snapper and it was delicious and my husband had a steak that was very well prepared. The goat cheese fondue salad vinaigrette was too overpowered by a Dijon mustard. My husband loved the delicious cheese plate and who could complain about the signature JG molten cake with vanilla bean ice-cream? Those were the highlights. The final deal breaker to me was when my husband took it upon himself to pour some more wine and the same blonde that scolded me about my coat and suggested the wine took the bottle out of his hand to assert her position. Not very polished. It's too bad that the front house staff marred our experience. We take our food very seriously.

Visited February 2013
New York City, New York
“One of our favorite places to eat in NYC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

We have been to Nougatine many times and have always gotten an excellent meal with perfect service. This place is a real treat to eat at. The food is just soooo good.

Visited November 2012
Montreal, Canada
“Dissapointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Very disappointed with Nougatine at Jean George. Having read only amazing reviews about the Jean George next door, I thought Nougatine should be a good choice for lunch. It was not the case.. From the start, things didn't go the right way. I was with my girlfriend there for my birthday lunch.

First of all, when getting there we were very well greeted but then when depositing our coats at the coat check, the lady was rushing us and gave attitude for no reason to my girlfriend. They then show us to our table, and we have a look at the menu. We both chose the fried calamari starter, which was average, tasted like pretty much any other friend calamari. The sauce that came with it was s good match tho, pretty delicious but they give you about 10 ounces of it. Let me tell you that even if you were 10 at the table, you might not finish that single 10 ounce of mayo sauce. So we both felt like this was a little weird.

We then continued with our Entrees, we both had the roasted chicken. Which was extremely average, kind of chewy and not very tasty. And to finish the desserts. I took the warm chocolate and my girlfriend had the banana cake. I liked the vanilla ice cream they chose alot, but the warm cake was average. My girlfriend thought her dessert was also average.

So far, not so bad. Just average food at a fancy looking casual place. But then came the service, I kept this last because this is the worse part. The service was just aweful. No one in the whole restaurant smiled, everyone seemed to be just working for their tips. The waiter we had was obviously careless about us, he didn't even ask if our Entree was to our taste. All the service was so impersonal, unfriendly, and it didn't seem like they loved what they did. their attitude was ''They were just doing their job''.. Our waiter even made the mistake to switch the birthday candle, he brought the dessert with the candle to my girlfriend and the other dessert to me. When she told him : It's his birthday !!! He just switched the plates with a ''shy face'' and left. So i had my girlfriend's dessert plate with my birthday candle on it. and my girlfriend ended up with my dessert. Five minutes later, I see our waiter bringing to the table next to us a birthday dessert to someone else (this time he didn't make a mistake) but he also gave an extra dessert to him as a birthday gift !! How can you be so careless to make a mistake on one table and not even apologize and then treat the right way the table text to us. Shameful.

Luckily, I explained the situation briefly to the manager and he seemed very concerned and sorry. He asked for where to reach us and the next day he offered us a free dessert at the restaurant we were having lunch at. Very nice from him to do so, he felt like what we got wasn't the service they want to have and that this was an isolated event so he tried to make up for it. And I truly appreciate the effort he made. But still I can only give this place and average review.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Finest Business lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I have dine here religiously for the past two years, my clients love it; fashion, great food, sharp informed service, at a price point that can't be beat in NYC.

Visited January 2013