“Great Brunch” 4 of 5 stars
Review of 44 & X

44 & X
622 10th Avenue, New York City, NY 10036 (Midtown)
212 977 1170
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
44 & X is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #456 of 11,186 Restaurants in New York City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Entertaining clients, Doing business, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: W 44th Street
Transit: 1, 2, 3, 7, A, C, E, N, Q, R, S, & W trains to 42nd Street. The restaurant is walking distance to Times Square and the Theater District.
Omaha, Nebraska
“Great Brunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

It was our last day of our first trip to NYC in a decade. Having slept in, I checked for a good brunch place within walking distance from our hotel near MSG. My wife says I chose well. A bright and airy space, and exceptionally clean (best restrooms we experienced in the City). The food is fresh and delicious. The house mini muffins are addictive. I had scrambled eggs with herbs, Vermont cheddar grits, and sweet sausage, accompanied by a perfectly toasted English muffin. Outstanding. My wife enjoyed her huevos rancheros (although she thought they could have used a bit more salsa). A good wine list, but I went with a very tasty bloody Maria, accompanied by garlic stuffed olives. The service is great. Really. The only nit was how crowded the place is. Absolutely no room to read a paper with brunch lessens my morning experience, and it took a team to extract my wife from her dining spot at the meal's conclusion.
One note. Portions are huge. We could easily have split an entree.

Visited March 2014

Buffalo, New York
“Eat here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

This has not been my first meal here and will definitely not be my last. I had the crispy bass over artichokes, baby asparagus, with a mussel broth. OMG so good! My sister had the parmesean encrusted Tilapia over creamy polenta. They do make meat dishes, but their fish is always done so inventively and is so fresh and perfectly cooked, we tend to go for something we cannot make at home. Service is prompt and I feel that I am well looked after without feeling like they are hovering over me. Save room for dessert. Mmmmmm........

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Gorgeous darling!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

Amazing food in beautiful surroundings. The waiters are all very easy on the eye too! The cocktails were fun and delicious followed by equally great food. Would love to go again!

Visited March 2014
New York City, New York
“Great experience, except for noise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

I visited for the second time recently and was pleased to find the food as delicious and beautifully prepared as during my first visit over a year ago. The staff were very accommodating, despite the fact that we were a bit late for a Saturday night reservation. All of our food was fantastic, particularly my "casserole" of Maine lobster (hint: it's really not a casserole, but more of a seafood stew). I really do love the warm and cozy atmosphere of this restaurant, but my big issue both visits was the noise. The dining room to the left as you walk in seems a tiny bit quieter, but we recently sat in the room to the right and we couldn't even hear each other speaking from across the not-so-big table. It's unfortunate.

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
“Local feel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

Nice local hangout, close walking distance to the Yotel. Great atmosphere, friendly staff, reasonable prices.

Visited January 2014