“Barbecue EXCELLENT, Rice Dishes WEAK” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Kang Suh

Kang Suh
1250 Broadway, New York City, NY 10001-3701 (Manhattan)
(212) 564-6845
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Cross street: 32nd St.
Princeton, New Jersey
“Barbecue EXCELLENT, Rice Dishes WEAK”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

The problem with most Korean restaurants in NYC is that they all have huge, extensive menus and all serve the same dishes. However, each restaurant usually only does a few things well. Kang Suh does barbecue including bulgogi and kalbi exceptionally well. Their hot stone bibimbap is among the worst I've ever had. Their cold bibimbap is quite good but really miserly on the meat. But the kimchee is superb. So if you know what to order this place can be consistently exceptional. The service is bad enough that I deliberately order delivery service so I don't have to deal with the sometimes surly wait staff. Just know what's good.

• Visited October 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

New york city, new york, usa
“Maybe the best Korean in NY ?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2010

Kang Suh lies on the Broadway end of Manhattan Koeatown's main drag, 32 st.

There's a huge open space on the south west corner of 32nd and Broadway (well,

huge for Manhattan anyway) that's one of the great meeting places in NYC. Kang

Suh lies in the corner of that space between a bank and a garage) and because

it's the closes Korean restaurant that's often where the group gravitates to, once

everyone has assembled. Lucky them, because in a street of superb Korean eating

places they've chosen the best.

Raised on a bland English diet when I go out to eat I'm looking for exotic spicy

food that I can't cook myself. Korean fits that bill perfectly.

Korean was occupied by Japan and the Koreans developed a taste for Japanese

cuisine so in most Korean larger restaurants you'll always find Teryaki and Sushi

on the menu. I'm no expert in Japanese food but whenever I've had it at Kang Suh

it's been fine.

The restaurant has seating on the ground floor and an upstairs level. Try to get a booth upstairs. The food tastes the same but booths are just so relaxing.

Pretty much everything on the menu is well prepared from good ingredients but the

dishes I always order are Ohjinguh Bokeum (squid in hot pepper sauce) or Nakji

Bokeum (octocpus in hot pepper sauce) or Daegee Maewun Tang (hot codfish soup).

Not much difference between the first two dishes except octopus is usually 1 or 2

dollars more. For an example of this magnificent meal see the first picture

below. What's so great about the Bokeum dish? I love the texture of squid and

the sauce is both spicy and sweet. The primary ingredient is the rice and chili

paste called Gochujang that is one of the staple flavorings of Korean cuisine.

The fish soup is perfect for a cold NY winter evening, or even a warm one, now I

come to think of it.

If you are new to Korean food then I suggest you start with
Bibimbap (sort of like fried rice but it's not actually fried so it's not

greasy). By default this dish isn't spicy so you can adjust it by adding

Gochujang.

Like a lot of Korean restaurants you will occasionally get a dish for free,

usually noodles in my experience. Last time I went we got a huge dish of Japchae,

which turned out to be the best dish on the table.

There isn't a wealth of atmosphere aside from "this is a restaurant so order

and eat". It's not that they are rude but they are running a business, and a pretty successful one too. The best time to go is on a Sunday afternoon at about 3pm. This is one of the few times during they day when the place it quiet. Try to get a booth with a view of the street so when you finish you can relax and watch the world go by. The worst time to go is Friday or Saturday evening at around 7 pm when there is going to be a line. Weekdays if you get there by 6 or 6:30 you'll be fine. The place will be bustling but even so the kitchen is really fast so you'll have your food really quickly. If this is your first time having Korean you'll make the waitress really happy if you've done some research before sitting down.

On their website Kang Suh have a scanned version of the current menu. It's kind of

low-resolution so when you zoom in the text becomes larger but blurred so in my

case I have to put my reading glasses on. This is my only criticism of Kang Suh and I'm pretty critical.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Overpriced and overly helpful”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2010

We tried the BBQ, Bulgogi and veges (each $25). When the portions came, they could fit onto the palm of 1 hand. Then the overly helpful waitress dumped all the meat onto the grill and cooked it for us. We were hoping to have the experience of cooking our own food, but she basically heated up the grill quite high and just cooked it. It was not filling for the amount that we paid, and not very calm and enjoyable.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“My first taste of Korean...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2008

My first taste of Korean food.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook