“Small, quaint, good quality food for a relaxed but delicious meal” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mishima

Mishima
164 Lexington Avenue, New York City, NY 10016 (Midtown)
(212) 532-9596
Cuisines: Japanese, Asian
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Medway, Massachusetts
“Small, quaint, good quality food for a relaxed but delicious meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

If you're looking for an amazing high energy lots of glitz this isn't it. What you will find is that the food is the star of the show. So if you are seeking a relaxing meal with outstanding quality food in a sub par atmosphere this is a gem! I really enjoyed our meal and saki. We had the spicy scallop tartar, salmon and yellowtail roll.
I can't stop thinking of this place...delicious!

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

New York City, New York
“Smaller than it used to be, food still as good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

I hadn't been here in many years and was pleasantly surprised to see that the food was just as good as I remembered.

There are only about 10 tables plus the sushi bar so it is cozy - less so on a cold winter's night when the door can drop the temperature for a minute or two - but the fresh fish is worth it.

The Eel Roll in particular was prepared at the perfect temperature and the saki list, while not extensive, provides a lovely compliment to the food.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Paris, France
“great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

My suggestion is to grab a seat at the sushi bar and just enjoy watching and eating...
If he's not too busy, you'll also be able to have a chat with the chef... he's a man of sound advice !

• Visited October 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New York City, New York
“The mouse is gone but so is the service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

We live around the corner from this restaurant, and when we moved in in 2007 it was the best sushi place in the area. Gradually the quality of their fish deteriorated. Then one night our dinner was interrupted by a mouse poking its head from behind the sushi bar (really!). We stopped going, but as we pass by almost every day we saw their city ratings go from A to B to C, down to ‘disputed.’ We saw Mishima close and recently reopen in only half of its previous space, but now with an A rating.

Last night I went back there with a friend. The dish I always ordered there – sushi & sashimi combo – has gone from $50 to $60, while its size fell by about a third. The service was bad – when I asked the waitress for a hand towel she said they did not have them – sounding as if I asked her to strip. When I asked for another dish of ginger, the owner stopped cutting fish and angrily stared at me. Nobody said thank-you or good-buy as we paid and left the restaurant. With so many sushi restaurants in the area, I’ll never go back to Mishima.

• Visited April 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Sarasota, Florida
“Great food and good value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

I've been going to Mishima for many years now and the standard is consistently good. There are normally people waiting for tables at the usual busy times. The service is speedy and always friendly. The food is fresh and delicious and the prices are reasonable. The atmosphere is cosy.

• Visited February 2012