“A Classic Venue! Great Steaks, Excellent Drinks, with Very Good Service!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Keens Steakhouse

Keens Steakhouse
72 West 36th Street, New York City, NY 10018 (Midtown)
+12129473636
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Keens Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 11,186 Restaurants in New York City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients, Doing business, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Dessert, Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: 5th and 6th
Transit: N, R F, Q, B, D A,C,E & 1,2,3,9 on 34th Street
Description: Keens Steakhouse, a classic New York chophouse, was already famous for its steaks and chops at the turn of the century. Founded in 1885, Keens has 90,000 clay pipes that line the ceilings – pipes once smoked by customers after dinner. Today Keens legendary mutton chops and dry aged prime steaks are still without equal in the city.
Kernersville, North Carolina
“A Classic Venue! Great Steaks, Excellent Drinks, with Very Good Service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2015 NEW

I booked a reservation in advance of our trip to NYC via Open Table and our reservation was waiting for us. We were taken to an upstairs room which had approximately 6 tables. It was nice and cozy and allowed us to have a normal table conversation. I dined with my wife and son. Brenna (I think this was her name and I apologize if I got it wrong) was the head waiter for the room and was complimented by and able body staff of 2-3 additional helpers. They provided great service, attentive, but not hovering or rushing. The room was very dark ornate wood as is much of the restaurant, with all the clay pipes fastened to the ceiling. The story of the restaurant is on the back of the menu. When I was a boy and "forced" to dine out on special occasions with my parents, we went to a nice steak house and the first thing they brought out was a relish tray. Keens continues this tradition serving a relish tray loaded with carrots, celery, and pickles, with an awesome bleu cheese dipping dressing. It is a perfect compliment to a cocktail while perusing the menu. Cocktails are not skimpy, which I like. They also bring out warm bread and butter. I ordered the 8 ounce filet (which is plenty big enough) especially if you get an appetizer or salad and a couple of side dishes. I had the lettuce wedges (yes two) salad with tomatoes and bacon in a bleu cheese dressing. It was perfect. The steak was ordered medium and cooked to perfection. It was tender and delicious. We also ordered hash browns and mushrooms for the table. My wife had the filet as well and she really liked it and she can be very picky. My son ordered the sirloin and it looked like about 14 ounces or so. He enjoyed it as well. They have a great wine list and we ordered a bottle. I think it was Merlot. All I remember is that it really complemented the meal. We finished by sharing a NYC cheese cake. WeThe pub looks great too! The prices are NYC fine dining prices and you get what you pay for. Well worth the value!! This is now my go to Steak House when I am in NYC!!

• Visited April 2015
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Miami Lakes, Florida
“average restaurant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2015 NEW

We went to this place last Friday around 10.20 pm On arriving our waiter told me the kitchen going to close closed in 30 minutes but I see people were still being served food. Can't comment on anything apart from the lobby I'm afraid...
service was good food average and really expensive......

• Visited May 2015
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Melbourne, Australia
“Old school charm steakhouse”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2015 NEW via mobile

Keens steakhouse is an institution and once you visit you will know why! Warmly greeted at the door by the host, you will then be seated in a room filled with history and old world charm - both the furniture, decorations and art. The menu is simple and demonstrates what they do best - steak, cooked to perfection. The wine list is extensive but includes some hidden gems. The New York cheesecake is a must - one of the best in NYC.

Visited April 2015
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2015 NEW

Lovely place with excellent food. In Keens I had the largest steak I have ever seen. We went there with friends after our wedding and it was a great experience. Enjoyed every minute!

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Good food: supercilious staff!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2015 NEW

We called in here for lunch and almost left without eating because of the attitude of the staff, particularly someone called James, who show you to your table. For some reason they seem to adopt a sneering attitude to their customers , which I feel detracts from the general atmosphere. The other staff are lovely and very helpful.
The food was delicious and well-presented. It seemed very good value for money: I had filet mignon skewers which were enormous and very tasty.

Visited April 2015