“Best steak!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Keens Steakhouse

Keens Steakhouse
72 West 36th Street, New York City, NY 10018 (Manhattan)
+12129473636
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Keens Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 11,777 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Cross street: 5th and 6th
Transit: N, R F, Q, B, D A,C,E & 1,2,3,9 on 34th Street
Description: Keens Steakhouse, a classic New York chophouse, was already famous for its steaks and chops at the turn of the century. Founded in 1885, Keens has 90,000 clay pipes that line the ceilings – pipes once smoked by customers after dinner. Today Keens legendary mutton chops and dry aged prime steaks are still without equal in the city.
“Best steak!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

Visited Keens while on a shopping trip with my mum. After reading reviews in the build up to our trip I knew we had to visit. I booked our table a few months in advance to make sure we wouldn't have a problem.
When we arrived on the night there were a lot if people waiting to be seated and a few people that had come in hoping to get a table... No chance! It was heaving.. So glad I had booked. When I gave the head of house our name, he checked and it turned out that our reservation was for the night before!! I reserved the table via TripAdvisor so not sure where it went wrong. Anyway.. They were amazing. Told me that they would have a table for us shortly and within 5 mins we were seated. All food was fantastic.. We both went for the fillet which was the best i have ever tasted. It literally melted in the mouth. Everything about the food was first class. We had cocktails which were in a league of their own too!
Only slight negative I can say about the experience is that the tables are soooo close to each other. ( the ones that sit along the wall) They must be literally cm's apart so there isnt a lot of privacy.

I would definitely go back.. In a heart beat. I would just make sure to reserve a table in the middle of the room as opose to the Outer seating.

Amazing though! Definitely reccomend

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
“Excellent food and drink for our group”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

I had dinner here with my wife and parents. It's always a little tricky trying to find a place that both audiences will like due to age and taste differences. But this place really fit the bill. All 4 of us found different cocktails to enjoy and then all 4 of us had great steaks (the same cut as it turned out). The sides that we got were fantastic as well. The service was attentive and not overbearing. Overall, this was a fantastic experience.

As a suggestion, you might want to call for reservations. We used OpenTable and couldn't get anything before 9:00. We got there a few minutes early and the restaurant wasn't particularly full. I'm not sure if they block off a set of times on OpenTable or whatnot, but in retrospect we should have called to see if a slightly earlier time was available.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

We got a great table in the corner of the lovely dining room. There's a lot of character here. We went for the PorterHouse to share but we should have went for the chateaubriand - the server recommended the PorterHouse but I think if he had asked us what we normally had etc, he would have realised the chateaubriand would have been more to our taste.

The service was a bit quick for my liking and it was hard to get their attention; we also had to ask for the bill three times so not worth the 15-20% tip that they like you to give (and I'm a good tipper!)

I wouldn't go for the fries again - the taste just wasn't worth the calories.

Visited March 2014
Wokingham, United Kingdom
“Good steak, nice restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

Great steak cooked exactly as ordered, good service. Nice evening out all considered, though at a premium price.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New York, New York, United States
“Snotty, slow service, so-so food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I took a friend to Keens for her birthday, expecting top-notch service and food from one of NYC's most famous steakhouses. Instead, we had to wave our hands to get a waiter, who neglected to give us any information about the menu (or specials) and acted irritated when we asked for wine suggestions. Then the food came. The steak was average, at best, and the asparagus was soggy. I was shocked by the entire experience, including the astronomical bill. Two thumbs down. We'll never go back.

Visited February 2014