“Amazing!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Keens Steakhouse

Keens Steakhouse
72 West 36th Street, New York City, NY 10018 (Manhattan)
+12129473636
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Keens Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 11,765 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Cross street: 5th and 6th
Transit: N, R F, Q, B, D A,C,E & 1,2,3,9 on 34th Street
Description: Keens Steakhouse, a classic New York chophouse, was already famous for its steaks and chops at the turn of the century. Founded in 1885, Keens has 90,000 clay pipes that line the ceilings – pipes once smoked by customers after dinner. Today Keens legendary mutton chops and dry aged prime steaks are still without equal in the city.
Jersey, United Kingdom
“Amazing!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

Me and my partner went here the evening he proposed and I couldn't think of a better place!
The atmosphere is lovely so calm and relaxing you don't feel like your being rushed out which I found was rare in NY.
The food was incredible my boyfriend had the thick cut bacon to start and I had the salad and then for main he had the prime rib eye steak - it was all too die for! I usually pick my food to pieces and leave a lot behind but both our plates were cleared!
Our waitor was so attentive checking our food was ok asking if we needed anything and then brought us over champagne and congratulated us on our engagement.
I couldn't recommend Keens highly enough it really was perfect!!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Hollywood, Florida
“Great steak dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Really enjoyed the porterhouse dinner, nice ambiance was recommended to eat here. A little $$$$ but very very good service and dining experience

Visited October 2013
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Amazing Steakhouse”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

What an amazing experience we had at Keens, probably the best steak I've ever had. My wife and I ordered the Chateaubriand for two, rare, and it was amazing - cooked to perfection. there was so much of it I wasn't sure we would manage it all but because it tasted so good I had to make sure I finished it all. Absolutely fantastic meal and I would say its a must visit in NYC.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Is there a 6 star button?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

The atmosphere of the Keens Steakhouse is unique in his own genre. Soft lights, thousands of old fashioned smoking pipes on the ceiling, 1800's posters on the walls, in one piece, a jump in the past.
The food was exellent and the dishes well prepared. I really recommend the T-Bone steak, pure meat poetry.
I am not going to lie, we've spent a lot of money but this was one of the best evenings I've ever had in New York.

Don't just go to Keens, accept the challenge!!!

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Best. Steak. Ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

We'd booked ahead on a Tuesday night after Keens had been highly recommended to us. We'd seen photos of the steaks here so skipped starters, but the whiff of the Thick Cut Smoked Bacon made my belly grumble - it was going down a treat with the other customers.
The review from JhumJhum below was helpful when it came to ordering - the "Prime Rib of Beef, King's Cut" was to die for. I ordered it medium and it came very pink and juicy, with the jug of meat jus on the side. The steak itself was melt in the mouth and succulent to the last mouthful. As our friends had the Chateaubriand we got to try the various sauces - au Poivre (peppercorn), Bearnaise, Mushroom and Red Wine Sauce. All were delicious. We shared the sides on the table, and probably ordered too much - the baked 'Idaho' potato was barely touched. The fries were great, as was the creamed spinach, broccoli and cauliflower. But it's clear the star of the show was the steak. Despite the massive portion, I managed to finish it all. There should be some kind of medal!
The Malbec we ordered off the huge wine menu was, of course, excellent. Somehow we managed to order dessert - New York Cheesecake (to share) which was... yep you guessed it... delicious. Washed down with a Tawny Port, to aid the digestion, obviously.
The atmosphere and decor were outstanding- it felt like a gentleman's club from years gone by, replete with a stuffed moose head above the fireplace. The service was faultess and it was clear they pride themselves on perfection.
Earlier in that day, we had wasted two hours of our day trying unsuccessfully to get into see Late Night with Jimmy Fallon... halfway through our meal he walked right past us and had been dining only a few feet away! But we already knew we were in one of the best restaurants in the world. I hope I can come back one day.