“Excellent meat and service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Keens Steakhouse

Keens Steakhouse
72 West 36th Street, New York City, NY 10018 (Manhattan)
+12129473636
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Keens Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 11,748 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Manhattan
Cross street: 5th and 6th
Transit: N, R F, Q, B, D A,C,E & 1,2,3,9 on 34th Street
Description: Keens Steakhouse, a classic New York chophouse, was already famous for its steaks and chops at the turn of the century. Founded in 1885, Keens has 90,000 clay pipes that line the ceilings – pipes once smoked by customers after dinner. Today Keens legendary mutton chops and dry aged prime steaks are still without equal in the city.
Bangkok, Thailand
“Excellent meat and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

This was my first time in this place and it didn´t dissapoint me at all. I ordered the 12 oz. prime fillet mignon ($49) plus some fries and a glass of wine and all come around $75.
The meat was simply outstanding and the service excellent. This was a very good meal and really worth it if you want to have good meat in the middle of Manhattan.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Plymouth, UK
“A memorable meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

We chose this restaurant because of the reviews and the fact that it was one street over from out hotel (The Strand on W 37th). We were in the atmospheric Lily Langtree Room which only had 6 or 7 tables, dark wood paneling and thousands of clay pipes on the ceilings. Our waiter was helpful and when 3 of our party chose the thick cut bacon starter, he advised that it came with 3 slices and we would never eat our main if we had this, so we had one slice each of the most delicious, 5 mm thick bacon and that was perfectly adequate. I had the 12 oz filet mignon and should have had the 8 oz as the meal was filling and I was unable to get to the dessert. The steak was perfectly cooked and so tender, it could have been cut with a spoon.

It is expensive, but you get what you pay for. It is in a prime location and very well staffed with professional waiters. I will return on my next trip to New York.

New York City, New York
“Historic restaurant with amazing steak and lunch salads”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Ceiling hosts historic coillection of men's smioking pipes, including Clevenand's and TR's. Steaks are greeat, but first time we tried entree salads for lunch. They are spectacular. Great meat, shrimp, chicken and veggie combos.

Hamilton, Canada
“won't be back.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

My husband had done considerable research on TripAdvisor.
Keens was suppose to be incredible.
He is very particular on his beef. Usually his research pays off. Not so much this time.
The atmosphere was good. The pipes on the ceiling and displays were interesting.
The waiter was okay. He seemed to be put off when my husband asked for sweet wine for me and kept trying to get us to order a champagne drink. I don't like champagne.
The rolls were hard at first. When you're hungry you will persevere.
We asked for more rolls and these were much softer. I had to use my steak knife to cut through the first batch.
The celery, carrots, pickles and olives were good. Cold and refreshing.
Next came the bacon appetizer. Tasty, but a little heavy.
The Cesar salad had an awful flavor to it and no one could eat it. The mashed potatoes were perfect.
The porter house for three came. Although plentiful and cooked to a good medium, there was little flavor.
For the price we paid for this meal it should have been excellent, but was not.
We won't be back.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Tokyo, Japan
“What a wonderful steakhouse in Manhattan!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

I had never heard the name of this steakhouse when I lived in Manhattan. What a coincidence! I caught up where it was at last, and booked our seats. The interior of house was amazing with thousands of pipes under ceiling. Not only delicious and powerful steaks they served but also their services were excellent!! If I come to NYC, I will have to go there again.